Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > IS HOLLYWOOD SUFFERING from "SCI-FI NIGHT FEVER"?!?!?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

13 Remakes in the Worx...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13 Remakes in the Worx...
    Posted: December 07 2008 at 2:48am

Here's a LINK to read an L.A. Times article from December 7, 2008 listing a total of 13 science fiction titles Hollywood plans to remake in the coming years. 

Read 'em and weep!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 4:19am

Although movies like "Flash Gordon" and "Dune" need remakes (because the previous ones sucked) the rest of the movies on that list need to be left alone -- they are fine as is. I mean, "Ghostbusters" is a comedy classic, and "Frankenstein" has been done a million times over already.

Hollywood has no morals, I swear!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 10:06am

That is a rather depressing list. Forbidden Planet remains one of the top 5, if not one of the top 2 sci-fi movies ever made. Loosely based on William Shakespeare's The Tempest, it might be possible to create a better looking movie, but it won't be as good.

The Creature From The Black Lagoon is my all time favorite movie monster. A statue of him stands upon my desk in front of me as I write. I got it at Universal Studios. It might be a guilty pleasure to a degree, but the original can't really be topped. In fact, the movie already has been remade in a sense. The influence of the original was clearly evident in Spielberg's movie Jaws.

I don't know whether it is lack of creativity, hubris or some combination of both, but for the sake of all that is good and holy, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, Hollywood! Stop this now! There isn't a damned thing wrong with the classic movies of the past. You don't seen novelists rewriting Moby Dick or A Tale of Two Cities. They may be influenced by those stories, but they don't rewrite them with a few modifications to attempt to reach contemporary audiences. Those works manage to do that on their own. Stop this now...you are only demonstrating how incompetent the contemporary artists of the craft have become.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 11:43am
Aronofsky doing Robocop?

I actually want to see that come to fruition.
Please, forgive me.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

You don't seen novelists rewriting Moby Dick or A Tale of Two Cities. They may be influenced by those stories, but they don't rewrite them with a few modifications to attempt to reach contemporary audiences. Those works manage to do that on their own. Stop this now...you are only demonstrating how incompetent the contemporary artists of the craft have become.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! Although writers could rewrite classic works to make them appeal to modern audiences, that doesn't mean they should, because the classics have already lasted the test of time. If it isn't broke, why fix it? Just add a flesh coat of paint; a remastered DVD version with better picture and sound quality and some behind the scenes extras. It has to be cheaper than having to remake the entire movie over again.

And as for moat's comment on "RoboCop", I admit it could use a reboot, but I'd prefer James Cameron in the director's chair. If there's anyone in Hollywood who knows how to get movie goers to care about robots, it's him.

PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 3:59am

I don't think Dune needs a remake - the miniseries was just fine, IMO.

(actually, I liked the original movie, too)

Can't see a remake of Terminator, Robocop, or Ghostbusters being worthwhile. Ugh. Here's to hoping they get torpedo'd.

As for the rest, well . . . . depends on the screenplay.  I wouldn't mind seeing a (good) remake of Forbidden Planet, or even Logan's Run.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 8:38am
I've only vaguely heard of When World's Collide, so I guess that's not that bad.

The Terminator one doesn't really count, because it's part of the storyline, doesn't interfere with the originals, and might actually be better because it's not just another "protect/chase" movie, as the other 3 have been. Or that could work against them. Either way, I'm pretty OK with Salvation, and always dig C-Bale.

Robocop... No need for another Robocop, even with Aronofsky. The satire and message from the first one were lost by the third movie as it was.

Ghostbusters - Don't do another Ghostbusters, everyone is too old at this point. Rogen nailed it on the head.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - Meeeh... I'm sure it doesn't need a remake, but it has been like 55 years.

Flash Gordon - Duuuuumb idea. One of many of the movies being remade today that keep their popularity through cult fame. The audience is the fanboys of the original, and they're not going to like a "Flashy" remake, in which they try to take a joke of a movie seriously.

Never heard of West World at all... Sounds like fair game.

Logan's Run - never seen it, but I've heard of it. Looking at the synopsis, I'm sure the message would be lost in a remake here, too, so thumbs down to that.

Forbidden Planet - Sounds like it's a Shakespear play reworked already, thus already being a remake/rework. No need for that.

Frankenstein - Been done to death. No need.

Fahrenheit 451 - Another message being lost. Next.

The Illustrated Man - Never heard anything about that one. And from the sounds of it, this one might actually be a good remake, even without Snyder.

Dune - Been done a few times now, and I liked the first two versions enough already. And besides, to make Dune, it needs to be at least 3 hours long, or else you're wasting your time, and as we've seen, people don't have the patience for it anymore. No new Dune, por favor.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 2:42pm

When World's Collide suffered from a pretty retarded premise: Another world was going to pass close to Earth which would lead to devastation on our poor planet. So a group of scientists devises a scheme to evacuate a portion of the population to the passing planet. Evidently, it wasn't going to suffer the same consequences as Earth! Somebody is going to have to explain the physics of that one to me.

West World: The original was decent...no need for a remake.

I've already chimed in on Creature from the Black Lagoon and Forbidden Planet. Remakes would be a crime against humanity.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 6:46am
How about if they remake a silent film, and still do it silent. Like say, Nosferatu or Metropolis?

Yes, still being sarcastic.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 8:15am
They did a "Flash Gordon" redux a few years ago on the Sci-Fi channel. The fans were pissed over it. The only thing I remember about it was this clip of two people flying that was the "Kick-Ass Clip Of The Week" on "The Soup" when it was on.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 8:50am
Ok, here's another mindnumbingly stupid remake that I ran across when I excitedly heard the news that Gore Verbinski didn't want to make another "Pirates" movie... Clue (2011). At least he's WORKING on it. For those of you who don't remember that they've already made a Clue (1985), and honestly, it wasn't all THAT bad, especially considered it was a movie based on a board game. But now he wants to make another one? FFS, is there no end to the depravity of Hollywood?
irenne View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote irenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:37am
I just wish that whenever they will do remake,,, they have to do it well.... They have been in fact,,, ruined by Italian films.
 Post Reply Post Reply