Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1990 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
    Posted: December 04 2005 at 2:35pm

Eleventh Annual RAZZIE® Awards (for 1990)

Presented at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel Oscar Room, March 24, 1991

Winners denoted in boldface type.

WORST PICTURE

• THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE (20th Century-Fox) Joel Silver and Steve Perry, producers (Tie)
  • BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES (Warner Bros.) Brian dePalma, producer
  • GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT (Triumph Releasing) Bo Derek, producer (Tie)
  • GRAFFITI BRIDGE (Warner Bros.) Arnold Stiefel, Randy Phillips, producers
  • ROCKY V (United Artists) Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, producers

WORST ACTOR

• Andrew Dice Clay, THE ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE
  • Prince, GRAFFITI BRIDGE
  • Mickey Rourke, DESPERATE HOURS and WILD ORCHID
  • George C. Scott, EXORCIST III
  • Sylvester Stallone, ROCKY V

WORST ACTRESS

• Bo Derek, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Melanie Griffith, BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
  • Bette Midler, STELLA
  • Molly Ringworm, BETSY'S WEDDING
  • Talia Shire, ROCKY V

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Leo Damian, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Gilbert Goddfrey, ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE, LOOK WHO'S TALKING TOO and PROBLEM CHILD
  • Wayne Newton, ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE
  • Donald Trump (In a Cameo as Himself) GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Burt Young, ROCKY V

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Roseanne Barr (Voice Only) LOOK WHO'S TALKING TOO
  • Kim Cattrall, BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
  • Sofia Coppola, GODFATHER III
  • Julie Newmar, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Ally Sheedy, BETSY'S WETTING

WORST DIRECTOR

• John G. Avildsen, ROCKY V
  • Brian dePalma, BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
  • John Derek, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Renny Harlin, ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE
  • Prince, GRAFFITI BRIDGE

WORST SCREENPLAY

• ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE Screenplay by Daniel Waters and James Cappe & David Arnott, Based on Characters Created by Rex Weiner
  • BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES Screenplay by Michael Christopher, (Reputedly) Based on The Novel by Tom Wolfe
  • GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT Written by John Derek
  • GRAFFITI BRIDGE Written by Prince
  • ROCKY V Written by Sylvester Stallone

WORST NEW STAR

• Ingrid Chavez, GRAFFITI BRIDGE
  • Sofia Coppola, GODFATHER PART III
  • Leo Damian, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT
  • Carre' Otis, WILD ORCHIDS
  • Donald Trump, GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT

WORST 'ORIGINAL' SONG

• "He's Comin' Back (The Devil!)" from REPOSSESSED 
  •         Music and Lyrics by Chris LeVrar
  • "The Measure of a Man" from ROCKY V Music and Lyrics by Alan Menken
  • "One More Cheer for Me!" from STELLA Written by Jay Gruska 
  •      & Paul Gordon

BREAKDOWN

• GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT - 9 Nominations, 4 "Wins" (One Shared)
  • ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE - 6 Nominations, 3 "Wins" (One Shared)
  • GODFATHER III - 2 Nominations, 2 "Wins"
  • ROCKY V - 7 Nominations, No "Wins"
  • BONFIRE OF INANITIES and GRAFFITI BRIDGE - 5 Nominations Each, No "Wins"
  • REPOSSESSED - 1 Nomination, 1 "Win"

Historic Note: Sofia Coppola as the "Winner" of both Worst Supporting Actress and Worst New Star set an all-time RAZZIE Record with more than 65% of the vote (in a field of 5 contenders!) in each of those categories.

©1991, Golden Raspberry Award Foundation and John Wilson 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 1:41pm
HeadRAZZ, Why wasn't Troll 2 nominated for anything? Was it too obscure when it was first released?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Having just checked at both IMDb and B.O. MoJo, I am not sure if TROLL 2 (IMDb LINK) was ever released theatrically in the US. Neither site has a record of it's having grossed anything, and all the so-called "release dates" listed on IMDb are for film festival showings. 

If indeed is was not ever shown in theatres, it would not have qualified for RAZZIE® consideration under our rules...  

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 4:44am
Were you happy that both films won?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 10:30am
#10: Look Who's Talking Too
#9: Exorcist III
#8: Problem Child
#7: Wild Orchid
#6: Betsy's Wedding
#5: Rocky V
#4: The Bonfire of the Vanities
#3: Graffiti Bridge
#2: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
#1: Ghosts Can't Do It
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Jennifar View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jennifar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 9:43am
No both film are never won this. That films are not so nice. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 4:45pm
I just saw the saga of THE EXORCIST.I'll write a conjoined review of the 5 movies soon.The 3rd movie deserved it's nomination and more. 

Here's the LINK to read one of my EXORCIST reviews: 

http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic5208_post44927.html#44927 
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
  • Sofia Coppola, GODFATHER III

WORST NEW STAR

• Sofia Coppola, GODFATHER PART III

Historic Note: Sofia Coppola as the "Winner" of both Worst Supporting Actress and Worst New Star set an all-time RAZZIE Record with more than 65% of the vote (in a field of 5 contenders!) in each of those categories.

Skip to 07:37.
Any thoughts?

DistinguishedFlyer View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DistinguishedFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 7:04pm
I must be one of the few people in this world who didn't think Sofia Coppola was all that bad - perhaps all the negative reviews she got lowered my expectations too much! I wouldn't call her good, but she certainly wasn't awful (and definitely not the 'worst female performance of all time' as the Head RAZZberry wrote). Perhaps because Coppola had usually shown such good casting sense in the earlier movies this really stuck out.

One big omission here, at least to me, is the embarrassing Andre Gregory cameo in The Bonfire of the Vanities. The film got a late-December release so it certainly was in the minds of a lot of Razzie voters, and Gregory had a pretty good reputation & movie track record . . . what the HELL were he & Brian De Palma thinking here? The film was just barely alive by this point but it was left stone cold dead by the time he departed. Oddly, I don't recall him ever being mentioned in any review the movie got - perhaps that's why it was such a shock to me; I was already expecting the rest of the cast to humiliate themselves.

I have to ask the HeadRAZZberry: Was Gregory ever considered for a slot? (For that matter, was Willis? He's carved out a decent spot for himself over the years here).   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: We're talking more than 20 years ago here and, to be honest, I don't even recall Gregory being in BONFIRE OF INANITIES. I seem to recall Willis was on the Nominating Ballot, but did not make the final five for Worst Actor.

As for Sofia Coppola in GODFATHER III: Yes, you are probably one of the few people in the world who didn't think she was "all that bad" -- The derision with which her performance was greeted was nearly universal...   

Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DistinguishedFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 9:42am
Yeah, I figured Gregory probably wouldn't have been mentioned - like I said, almost no review brought him up. Maybe critics had all completely written the film off by the scene where he appeared?

(His role, by the way, was that of the AIDS-afflicted poet at the big party halfway through the film; he spends all his time talking about the themes in Don Giovanni in a very loud voice, either to Tom Hanks directly, or to other guests within earshot. It's clearly meant to make Hanks feel awkward and to compare his own situation with that of Don Giovanni himself -- but comes off as just plain awkward. "REPENT! REPENT!")
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 3:56pm
Owen Glieberman of Entertainment weekly was a big defender of Sofia Coppola, and Godfather III -- The EW cover story on how Sofia Coppola "wrecked" Godfather III had a quote from Glieberman saying she was great, and accusing people of attacking her because they hated Francis Ford Coppola!! So there was one critic, at least! I think there was another who said her bad acting was so beyond bad it is actually a peek at a real person, and was thus good for the film and helped it! LOL!
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 4:03pm
I only found one critic who even mentioned Andre Gregory in Bonfire: J Hoberman of Village Voice called his cameo "witty," so I guess that was praise? The film had a huge cast, and the most-mentioned supporting actors were F. Murray Abraham, Saul Rubinek and Morgan Freeman. I was surprise his last speech didn't get nominated, though most agreed he was good, and merely got stuck having to give the worst speech ever!  
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DistinguishedFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 6:32am
Here's a LINK  for the Bonfires scene with Gregory - judge for yourself. (You can also witness Cattrall & Griffith earning their Razzie nominations.)

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 2:18pm
While we're on the subject of Godfather III, has anyone heard about the originally planned version of it? Instead of the crap we got, it would have involved Michael Corleone and Hagen fighting for control of the crime family. It didn't happen because Duvall wanted more money -- or, more accurately, he wanted to be paid equally. See, Pacino was to be paid three times more than Duvall, and in the script, they had equal screen-time. Here's a LINK to read more about it... 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 1:58pm
On this episode, I compare 4-time winner ROCKY PART V to the other instalments (skip to 02:37):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 9:55am
On this episode, I compare 2-time nominee LOOK WHO'S TALKING TOO to the other installments (skip to 04:40):

Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply