Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980-2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

1995 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners"
    Posted: December 04 2005 at 2:50pm

The (Not So) Sweet Sixteenth Annual RAZZIE® Awards (for 1995)

Presented at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel Academy Room / March 24, 1996

Winners denoted in boldface type.

WORST PICTURE

• CONGO (Paramount) Produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Sam Mercer
  • IT'S PAT! (Touchstone) Produced by Charles B. Wessler
  • THE SCARLET LETTER (Hollywood Pictures) Produced by Roland Joffe and Andrew G. Vajna)
  • SHOWGIRLS (MGM/UA) Produced by Alan Marshall and Charles Evans
  • WATERWORLD (Universal) Produced by Charles Gordon, John Davis and Kevin Costner

WORST REMAKE OR SEQUEL

• ACE VENTURA: WHEN NATURE CALLS (Warner Bros.) Produced by James G. Robinson
  • DR. JEKYLL AND MS. HYDE (Savoy Pictures)Produced by Robert Shapiro and Jerry Leider
  • THE SCARLET LETTER (Hollywood Pictures) Produced by Roland Joffe# and Andrew G. Vajna)
  • SHOWGIRLS (Re-Make of both ALL ABOUT EVE and THE LONELY LADY)
  • VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (Universal) Michael Preger and Sandy King

WORST ACTOR

• Kevin Costner, WATERWORLD
  • Kyle MacLachlan, SHOWGIRLS
  • Keanu Reeves, JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Tri-Star) and A WALK IN THE CLOUDS (20th Century-Fox)
  • Pauly Shore, JURY DUTY (Tri-Star)
  • Sylvester Stallone, ASSASSINS (Warner Bros.) and JUDGE DREDD (Hollywood Pictures)

WORST ACTRESS

• Elizabeth Berkley, SHOWGIRLS
  • Cindy Crawford, FAIR GAME (Warner Bros.)
  • Demi Moore, THE SCARLET LETTER
  • Julia Sweeney, IT'S PAT!
  • Sean Young, DR. JEKYLL & MS. HYDE

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Tim Curry, CONGO
  • Robert Davi, SHOWGIRLS
  • Robert Duvall, THE SCARLET LETTER
  • Dennis Hopper, WATERWORLD
  • Alan Rachins, SHOWGIRLS

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Amy The Talking Gorilla, CONGO
  • Bo Derek, TOMMY BOY
  • Gina Gershon, SHOWGIRLS
  • Madonna, FOUR ROOMS (Miramax)
  • Lin Tucci (Henrietta Bazoom), SHOWGIRLS 

WORST SCREEN COUPLE

Any Combination of Two People (or Two Body Parts!) SHOWGIRLS

William Baldwin & Cindy Crawford / FAIR GAME

Tim Daly & Sean Young / DR. JEKYLL AND MS. HYDE

Dave Foley & Julia Sweeney / IT’S PAT! 

Demi Moore & EITHER Robert Duval OR Gary Oldman, THE SCARLET LETTER

WORST DIRECTOR

• Renny Harlin, CUT-THROAT ISLAND (MGM/UA)
  • Roland Joffe, THE SCARLET LETTER
  • Frank Marshall, CONGO
  • Kevin Reynolds (with More Than a Little Un-Asked Assistance from Kevin Costner) WATERWORLD
  • Paul Verhoeven, SHOWGIRLS

WORST SCREENPLAY
(aka The Joe Eszterhas Dis-Honorarial Worst Screenplay Award)

• CONGO, Screenplay by John Patrick Shanley, from The Novel by Michael Chrichton
  • IT'S PAT! Written by Jim Emerson & Stephen Hibbert & Julia Sweeney, Based on Characters Created by Sweeney
  • JADE, Written by Joe Eszterhas (Paramount)
  • THE SCARLET LETTER, Screenplay by Douglas Day Stewart, "Freely Adapted" (sic) from The Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • SHOWGIRLS, Written by Joe Eszterhas

WORST NEW STAR

• Amy The Talking Gorilla, CONGO
  • Elizabeth Berkley, SHOWGIRLS
  • David Caruso, KISS OF DEATH (20th Century-Fox) and JADE
  • Cindy Crawford, FAIR GAME
  • Julia Sweeney, IT'S PAT! and STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY (Paramount)

WORST 'ORIGINAL' SONG

• "(Feel The) Spirit of Africa" from CONGO, Music by Jerry Goldsmith, Lyrics by Lebo M
  • "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from BATMAN FOREVER (Warner Bros.) By U2, Lyrics by Bono
  • "Walk Into The Wind (a.k.a. Love Theme from The Rape Scene) " from SHOWGIRLS, Written by David A. Stewart and Terry Hall

BREAKDOWN of NOMINATIONS and "WINS"

• SHOWGIRLS - 13 Nominations / 7 "Wins" (Two New RAZZIE Records!)
  • SCARLET LETTER - 7 Nominations, 1 "Win"
  • WATERWORLD - 4 Nominations, 1 "Win"
  • CONGO - 7 Nominations / NO "Wins"
  • IT'S PAT! - 5 Nominations, NO "Wins"

HISTORIC NOTE: SHOWGIRLS was only the second film in RAZZIE History to receive more nominations than there were categories (The first was LONELY LADY in 1983). And its director, Paul Verhoeven, became the first RAZZIE "winner" ever to attend our ceremonies and pick up his Dis-Honors in person, accepting the Awards for both Worst Director and Worst Picture.  

©1996, Golden Raspberry Award Foundation and John Wilson

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 11:48am
I just saw SHOWGIRLS and gave it 1/10(I could've given it 0).This is my review:

THIS SHOWS THAT THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOOKERS,STRIPPERS AND "SHOWGIRLS",EVEN IF THE CHARACTERS SAY THE OPPOSITE(*/*****): 

Spoilers ahead! 

This was meant to be a satire but it isn't because it's neither funny or deep.I mean is this really an insightful look into the world of Las Vegas showbiz(read the title of this review again)?For those who claim us who hated this movie didn't get it,I did.I knew most of the sexual comments were meant to be jokes. 
1)"MAMA" BAZOOM's act was funny for other characters,and we're meant to laugh at them for thinking it's funny,but instead we laugh at the movie makers for thinking all of that is funny. 
2)When NOMI rejects JAMES because she had her period,he touches and says "You're right!But I got towels!".It was meant to be both funny and cringing,but it was only the latter. 
3)Most of TONY MOSS's dialogue is meant for us to hate him for talking like that.But how if every other character talks the same way? 
4)The rape scene and the "Rub ice on your nipples" scene were meant to be shock value for dramatic purpose instead of erotica like a few have claimed.But Paul Verhoeven and Joe Eszterhas cross the line between individual sexual preference and fetish,so how can we tell what turns them on and what doesn't? 

Elizabeth Berkley didn't deserve the Razzie for "Worst Actress".She was the saving grace!But she did deserve "Worst New Star" because her potential was wasted and her career ended.And Gina Gershon was so over the top.Except for his face during the pool sex scene,Kyle MacLachlan was just there,not good nor bad.Although the same can be said about Robert Davi,Alan Rachins and Lin Tucci,their characters were as cliched as the plot. 

Grades: F in the U.S. and 1,0 in Chile.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 1:21pm
As I said before, Berkley's performance was both painful and funny at the same time. She played the character as if she had bipolar disorder; perfectly calm one moment, pissed off the next. And that infamous pool sex scene, it looks like she's having a seizure! Saying she's the saving grace of the movie is like saying the tilted camera angles in "Battlefield Earth" were the saving graces of that movie. My point is, the movie was just tasteless and it didn't matter who was casted, the movie was doomed since day one. As for Worst Actress of that year, the only one more worthy of it than Berkley was Cindy Crawford in "Fair Game". If you look up "line reading" in the actor's dictionary (if such a thing existed), you'll see a picture of her there.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 6:21pm
It's Pat was released in August of 1994, so why did it get nominated for the 1995 RAZZIES?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Under our rules (which emulate those of the AMPAS) a film is not considered "qualified" until it has played in at least one theatre on either coast. IT'S PAT was disastrously "test-marketed" in 1994, but was not released in New York or L.A. until 1995 -- And even then, it just barely qualified!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 7:22pm
Berkley played the character the way she was.Bad written?Sure.But that's to blame to the man the award he won was named after him.

As for how she was in the pool sex scene...I didn't say she was great.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:43am
Yeah, Nomi was a badly written role, but considering she is also known for her work on "Saved By The Bell" (a TV series infamous for it's bad acting) she didn't have much to bring to the table. Even the director admitted she was hired for two reasons: she knew how to dance and she was willing to get naked ... that's about it. 

Originally posted by Vits

Berkley played the character the way she was.Bad written?Sure.But that's to blame to the man the award he won was named after him.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:01pm
I didn't say she was great. I said she was okay. I called her the saving grace because being above average in such a bad movie is quite an accomplishment.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 7:05pm
Ah, no, Berkley was FAR from okay. If okay was in Madison Square Garden in New York, then she was somewhere in the Tokyo Dome in Japan! As bad as the script was, playing the role as a bipolar didn't help matters at all.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 6:40am
HUH?!?

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Ah, no, she was FAR from okay. If okay was in Madison Square Garden in New York, then she was somewhere in the Tokyo Dome in Japan!
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2011 at 4:05pm
Where's the Worst Screen Couple category? I recall that Showgirls "won" for Any 2 characters or body parts. If I remember, the other nominees were: Tim Daly and Sean Young (Dr. Jekyll & Ms. Hyde), Demi Moore and EITHER Gary Oldman OR Robert Duvall (The Scarlet Letter), Julia Sweeny and Dave Foley (It's Pat*), and Cindy Crawford and one of the Baldwins (Fair Game).

*Apparently, Quentin Tarantino did a ghost-write of It's Pat. Since that got a Worst Screenplay, Q has two Razzie nods with his Worst Supporting Actor nod in From Dusk Till' Dawn in 96'.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: OOPS! Yet another transcription error...now corrected above. Maybe we should hire some of you Forum Members as proof-readers??
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 11:22am
On this episode, I compare Worst Actor nominee JUDGE DREDD to its remake (skip to 06:24):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 2:03pm
My review of the BATMAN franchise, which includes Worst Original Song nominee BATMAN FOREVER (Skip to 02:07):

Any thoughts?
rushmore View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rushmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 8:50am
I gave Showgirls a 9/10! Smile
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 11:51pm
Rushmore: WWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!

If you don't mind my asking.
rushmore View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rushmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 8:22am
I don't know -- I think the low rating on IMDB is undeserved AND I really really enjoyed it. Showgirls is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen (and one of the sexiest, of course!).  

My cousin and I LOVE this film, she gave me the V.I.P. edition for my birthday a few years ago
I never zap when they show it on TV Embarrassed And just to let you guys know I never give such low rating on IMBT, I always find redeeming elements (even if it's only the music). So far I've only given the lowest rating to staight-to-DVD movie adaptations and sequels, but they were truly awful and it's rare 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 6:26pm
Rushmore, do you like it as a guilty pleasure, or do you consider it to be a good movie?
Originally posted by rushmore

So far I've only given the lowest rating to staight-to-DVD movie adaptations and sequels, but they were truly awful and it's rare 

What about the straight-to-DVD sequel to SHOWGIRLS?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>