Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > ARTHUR AND THE INVISIBLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2 ARTHUR Sequels Planned(!?!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 ARTHUR Sequels Planned(!?!)
    Posted: January 08 2007 at 6:58am

Besson Builds ARTHUR Franchise

French Director-Producer to Make Two Sequels

By ALISON JAMES, VARIETY / EUROPE

PARIS — Luc Besson's Euros 65 million ($85 million) CG and live action ARTHUR AND THE INVISIBLES has passed the 5 million admission mark in France and two sequels are now officially in the pipeline.

Besson had previously said that ARTHUR would be his last film as a director. But when buzz about the film began to mount ahead of the film's release last month, he said if it was a hit he would turn the self-penned book franchise into a movie trilogy.

Pic about a little boy (Freddie Highmore) who enters the world of tiny creatures called Minimoys, hit 5.4 million admissions over the weekend, after ticket sales in its third week on Gallic screens went up 52%.

Multiplying the admissions total by the average ticket price of $6.38, gives a cume of about $34.5 million.

Besson, in New York for ARHTUR's U.S. preem Sunday night, took out a four page ad in a French trade magazine announcing ARHTUR AND THE VENGEANCE OF MALTHAZAR for 2009 and ARHTUR AND THE WAR OF TWO WORLDS for 2010.

The sequels are based on volumes three and four from the book series, the first Arthur film having combined the stories of the first two books.

ARTHUR's Gallic box office performance puts it way out in front of other holiday season fare in France, and it has overtaken CAMPING, the fourth biggest box office earner in Gaul last year after the LES BRONZES sequel FRIENDS FORVER, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2 and "ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN."

It still has a way to go yet, but the film has already beaten Besson's previous box office scores except for THE BIGF BLUE's 10 million admissions and the Razzie-nominated FIFTH ELEMENT, with 8 million. 

©2007, Variety Publications

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 7:57am
This proves that NOTHING good EVER came out of France...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 5:55am
Other than the "French Fry"!
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 7:54am
Believe it or not...the so-called "french" fry came out of Belgium...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 12:22pm
I was trying to be nice and find something positive, Anyways I am still trying to scratch my head on something.... How is it that a film that has barley earned $40 million world wide, with a production budget of $86 million (American) for the one film that is already out, justify a green light for not just one, but 2 CGI sequels of the same material. This movie alone would have to earn at least between $150 to $200 million for any sane studio to give the green light for just one of them. I guess French producers and movie studios just like seeing there money going up in smoke.

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 4:08pm
Give the French a little credit...they built the Arche de Triumph so that the Nazis would have something cool to march under on the way into Paris
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 5:00pm

...And on the way out!

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply