Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > STRANGE WILDERNESS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2008’s TOP (OVER-LOOKED) TURKEY?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008’s TOP (OVER-LOOKED) TURKEY?!?!?
    Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:43am

RELEASED in the MIDDLE of PRODUCTION on THIS YEAR's 28th ANNUAL RAZZIE CEREMONIES, STRANGE WILDERNESS UNFAIRLY ESCAPED OUR WRATH LAST FEBRUARY. NOW THAT IT's ALREADY MAKING ITS DEBUT on DVD in MAY, WE'RE NOT LETTING IT GET AWAY a SECOND TIME!

FROM ADAM SANDLER's HAPPY MADISON PRODUCTIONS, and FEATURING the EFFORTS of ALUMNAE of BLACK SHEEP, DICKIE ROBERTS: FORMER CHILD STAR and the RAZZIE® "WINNING" REPOSSESSED, STRANGE WILDERNESS FOCUSES on the CREW of a NATURE/REALITY SHOW TRYING to TRACK DOWN BIG-FOOT...and MANAGES to FIT LESS LAUGHS INTO 90 MINUTES THAN ONE of THOSE 30-SECOND BEEF JERKY/JERKING with SASQUATCH TV COMMERCIALS. IN ITS EXTREMELY UNSUCCESSFUL THEATRICAL RUN, IT ACHIEVED THAT RARE FEAT: A PERFECT ZERO RATING at ROTTEN TOMATOES (EVEN UWE BOLL HAS TROUBLE GETTING THOSE NOWADAZE!).   

SO, HUNTING SEASON IS NOW OFFICIALLY (and FINALLY) OPEN:

READY...

AIM...

FIRE AWAY!!

ZAHN: "This sure looks like the cave entrance from ROBOT MONSTER..." 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:12am
Nice "Robot Monster" joke.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:51pm
I thought that The Big Foot standing behind Steven Zahn might be Harry from Harry and The Henderson
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 5:16pm
You can tell that it's a real cheap production when they forgot the bubble
machine!
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:46pm
How bad does the movie have to be to be considered below the par for movies Sandler's actually willing to star in?

Oh right, Grandma's Boy...I guess that's indicative of the quality here!
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 5:44am

What astounds me, for as bad as this movie is supposed to be, is that it apparently has a run-time of 3hrs and 7mins, (about twice the run-time of the usual "Happy Madison" crap)!

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You must have gotten the info that STRANGE WILDERNESS is over 3 hours long from Rotten Tomatoes (which needs to make a correction -- but where the film still has A Perfect ZERO Approval Rating!). According to two other sites, it's under 90 minutes: Netflix lists it as running 86 minutes...The IMDb sez 87 minutes...

RESPONSE to Head RAZZberry: Indeed I did... Thank God for one of the few times I was wrong... The concept had me totally freaked!!!

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 4:07am
You think that's bad, you should see what C. Stowbridge gave as a review for this crap at the Numbers site (It's located near the bottom of the page in alphabetical order). Oh, he has it listed at 84 minutes for the running time.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 7:20am
I guess C. Stowbridge's review pretty much sums up Strange Wilderness...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 3:10pm

I'm glad to see this one finally getting our attention. This is not only far and away the worst movie of 2008, it's among the worst movies EVER made, IMHO. I keep wondering how desperate Ernest Borgnine had to be for a paycheck to lend his name to this in any fashion.

Amazingly enough, this movie did manage a box-office take of a little over $6 million, which is incredibly crappy -- unless it is compared to the standards of a typical Uwe Boll flick.

And, finally, the running time for this film is, in fact, 1 hr and 27 minutes.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 2:22am

Just saw this on DVD -- though, technically, since I was unable to even sit through it, I guess I've only "half seen it." I am amazed and dismayed that a screenplay this poorly conceived and written could even get the go-ahead -- We're not talking mere incompetence here, we're talking a level of laziness that makes the films of WILDERNESS producer Adam Sandler look like CITIZEN KANE: Every character is a complete idiot, every joke is groaningly unfunny, and every situation smacks of the kind of stupidity one would expect if Bush's cabinet decided to collaborate on a script.

I got through the first 15-20 minutes, realized what an utter waste of my time it was, and then (out of morbid curiosity) jumped to the last two chapters -- which turned out to be just as awful as the first five. There's a joke with a shark and a doofy sound effect near the very end that is lame the first time you hear it -- then they keep on repeating it for an entire minute!!

Since almost no one saw (or will see) this indefensible mess, I fear it may get away with no actual Razzie nominations. Trust me on this one, fellow Forum members --  Sight unseen (which is the best way to "experience" this total piece of cinematic sh*t) "Strange Wilderness" deserves consideration in almost every category -- especially 1955 Best Actor Oscar winner Ernest Borgnine (who was also a Razzie nominee in 1981) as 2008's Worst Supporting Actor!! 

Everything SUX!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 2:34am

As Head RAZZBerry, I most vehemently agree with Nasty Man -- Even I (after 28 years of subjecting myself to cinematic crap on behalf of the RAZZIES) could not get myself to sit through this braindead example of  stoner stupidity... 

By the way, here's an IMDb LINK to see what film Ernest Borgnine was RAZZIE nominated for in 1981. I'd argue that for lending his supposedly "classy" credential to this horrible little turd of a movie, he's due for some Berry Close Scrutiny once more!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:56am
This really is a bad excuse for comedy.  If it gets nominated for Worst Picture, then Adam Sandler would get credit as the executive producer.  Peter Gaulke and Fred Wolf were the screenwriters and they had characters depicting themselves!?  There's a Worst Screenplay nod for ya.
 Post Reply Post Reply