Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > SCHEDULE for 35th RAZZIES® & 87th OSCARS® in 2015
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

32nd Annual "Winners"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 32nd Annual "Winners"
    Posted: April 02 2012 at 10:38pm
It was me who compared having RT users vote to the People's Choice Awards...and I would point out that People's Choice has considerably more categories than we do. I think you rather nailed my own concern though...by opening any category up to a popular vote we create all sorts of opportunities for a "flavor of the month" situation (as well as ballot box stuffing).

Let me just also note that I think moving the awards back to April 1 this year was probably not a great idea, fully acknowledging that it is my opinion and I am anxious to hear an assessment from Head Razz as to how effective he felt it was...I think it is best to strike while the iron is hot. The best time to hold the awards, imho is the evening prior to the Oscars. When it is held in that time frame, press and public attention is already focused in the direction of major movie awards. So the counterpoint is a lot more effective. I can understand the rationale that major nominees might be more likely to show up at this later date, but permit me to ask: Did that actually happen?  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To whoever said that opening up one category makes it more like the People's Choice Awards: Don't the People's Choice open up half their categories to the public? Because this was only 1 category. I'm much more worried about them giving the award to a Twilight film than anything.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 4:46am
Actually, Jack and Jill did more than "break even" -- It grossed more than twice it's budget worldwide. Not that I care (haven't seen it, won't see it etc), but I was just pointing out that slight error Wink

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The first Grown Ups was, also, Sandler's biggest hit around the world. Since Jack & Jill didn't break even, maybe Sandler thinks that brand name alone well give him a hit. Remember how John Carter relied on brand name alone?

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 8:42am
Jack & Jill cost $79 mil to make. It grossed $148 mil worldwide. 79 times 2 is 158, which means that it's still in the hole. And that's not factoring the marketing budget.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: The Island Of Dr. Moreau '96
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 12:12pm
We can get awfully bogged down in arguing the merits of various films based on whether or not they made money, all of which is nonsense at the end of the day. I can provide a lengthy list of films that were popular successes, but pieces of crap nonetheless. More rarely, but not unheard of are cases where pretty good movies bomb miserably at the box-office. The proof is what is on the screen and popular appeal is not necessarily the same thing as quality. About a billion whoopee cushions have been sold around the world...that doesn't make them less tacky.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 3:36pm
But Saturnwatcher: The term "crap" is entirely in the subject's own opinion. What you may hate and think is terrible, might seem brilliant to someone else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12