Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > SORCERER'S APPRENTICE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Only a Turd with a Gilded (Nic) Cage...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only a Turd with a Gilded (Nic) Cage...
    Posted: July 13 2010 at 7:51pm
Yeah, BL:PoC made it to the theatres.  It had a $25M budget and only brought in $10M worldwide.  It was still a decent movie by all accounts.

Forgot about World Trade Center.  Still, the question still holds--is that the best you can do?  It was a good movie, but not a great movie.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 9:53am
I just checked. It was a cameo. Still counts,right? 

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Forgot about World Trade Center.  Still, the question still holds--is that the best you can do?  It was a good movie, but not a great movie.

Nobody said it was great. The question was if he has been in a good movie in the last 5 years, and he has.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, the challenge was to name one good and really successful film Cage had been in from the last 5 years. So the challenge, technically, remains unanswered...
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 11:05am
No, I still think Cage was not in that. Which role are you talking about?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 12:24pm
He portrayed FU MANCHU in the WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS segment.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 12:35pm
Oh, that doesn't count!! He's only on screen for less than 2 seconds!  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 1:36pm
I have to agree with the people who mention Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. Cage placed third for The National Society of film critics award for Best Actor. And also won Best Actor from The Toronto Film Critics for his performance in that. I've seen the movie twice. He's quite good in it.

And Cage got great reviews for Kick-Ass.

Haven't read any reviews for Apprentice, yet.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 2:07pm
Here's the answer.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:03pm
Yeah, so Cage has made ONE good movie in the past five years ... and one that next-to-no-one saw.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2010 at 1:11pm
The question wasn't "When's the last time he gave a good performance," but "When's the last time he was in a good movie in the last 5 years?" Good being succesful in reviews and box office, so BAD LIEUTENANT and GRINDHOUSE don't count, nor does KICK-ASS since it's from this year. THE ANT BULLY only grossed back it's own budget, and LORD OF WAR grossed more, but didn't double it. Therefor,the only good movie he has been in since 2005 would be WORLD TRADE CENTER.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 9:14pm
40% on rotten tomatoes

43 % on metacritic

I actually figured it'd do worse (I hate Bruckheimer films)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Vits

The question wasn't "When's the last time he gave a good performance," but "When's the last time he was in a good movie in the last 5 years?" Good being succesful in reviews and box office, so BAD LIEUTENANT and GRINDHOUSE don't count, nor does KICK-ASS since it's from this year. THE ANT BULLY only grossed back it's own budget, and LORD OF WAR grossed more, but didn't double it. Therefor,the only good movie he has been in since 2005 would be WORLD TRADE CENTER.
By MY standards, "good" means good in all aspects of filmmaking. Of those movies listed, "Lord of War" is the only one that comes close.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Vits

Here's the answer.

I'm surprised The Wicker Man isn't listed in his bottom 5.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

I'm surprised The Wicker Man isn't listed in his bottom 5.
Because it's much more entertaining when you watch it as a comedy.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Because it's much more entertaining when you watch it as a comedy.

That's right. I didn't find it funny either, except for a few scenes with him punching ladies for no reason at all.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 1:17pm
Remember when I listed my Bottom 25 Films of '006? Although The Wicker Man [remake] could be enjoyed as a comedy, I still put it at #4.
lastmoviecritic View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote lastmoviecritic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 8:14pm
Okay, Nicholas Cage certainly has a lot of bad movies in his career, but not everything since Leaving Las Vegas has been bad. He was great in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans! I haven't seen Bringing Out the Dead yet, but it's Scorsese, how bad can it be?

Anyway, his films mostly suck. Bangkok Dangerous, National Treasure, Knowing, etc.
Ryan Walter Blair, lastmoviecritic.com, LLC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>