Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > TRANSFORMERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A 2 Hour Toy Commercial!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 2 Hour Toy Commercial!
    Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

So, as a general rule, the tastes of the American people are running toward big, loud and dumb? I guess someone has finally explained the popularity of Rush Limbaugh.

Saturnwatcher, Not everything that comes out has to have an agenda or political message. Like Head RAZZ said, "its mercenary purpose of being a money-making machine". For once I think Michael Bay delivered the goods where Transformers was concerned, and made a very enjoyable popcorn flick. However, both my son and I agree that "Live Free or Die Hard" delivered the goods in spades. He is already bugging me about when it will come out on DVD.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 5:06pm

I think Michael Bay delivered the goods to his investors while creating a movie that wasn't awful, but was almost completely lacking in anything imaginative that might have actually "transformed" this particular movie going experience into something unique. If there is a grave sin in Hollywood these days, it lies in the temptations toward driving down the easy, safe, proven and dumbed down highway. I don't think we should give them a pass.

As for my various lampoons on moviewiz guy's "big, loud and dumb" remarks, the targets were both easy and obvious. There was no intent to assign politcal motivations to the movie, but rather to assign the appropriate absurdity to moviewiz guy's description.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 5:53pm
And obviously, this film's definitely become a major Box Office Hit of 2007, right now, after Friday's results, it's standing at $248.4 Million at the U.S. Box Office. Once again, Michael Bay has made another major Box Office Hit...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:48am

Yeah, but this is a country where a guy once got incredibly rich selling people pet rocks...and people actually go see Adam Sandler movies! I think this movie would have made $250 million even if Ed Wood had made it. Just once, wouldn't you like to see someone with a track record for originality and actual cinematic capability tackle a project like this?

Originally posted by bruin_522

And obviously, this film's definitely become a major Box Office Hit of 2007, right now, after Friday's results, it's standing at $248.4 Million at the U.S. Box Office. Once again, Michael Bay has made another major Box Office Hit...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:56am
I thought the special effects were great. Other than that, the movie was just okay...
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 5:14am
This isn't my kind of movie, but I think Shia LaBeouf is still a great actor. But this should be nominated for something like Worst Waste of Hype.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:34am

It would have been very interesting to see what the the concept of the film would have been likeif Spielberg had helmed the project himself, and not delegated it to Bay.

Anyways, overall, we'll just have to wait till the next Bay-helmed movie completely stumbles, because this one has not.

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 5:23am

I've seen this movie twice, and I hope the CGI effects alone get an Oscar nomination.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Since best Special Visual Effects is the lone Oscar category where Academy members pay attention to box office receipts, I think it's a reasonable bet that TRANSFORMERS will be nominated. And, since the two often seem to go hand-in-hand where Oscar voters are concerned, it will likely also get a Best Sound nomination... 

dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 6:10am
This movie is okay for a summer movie, but nothing special.
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 3:27pm

Shia LaBeouf is a promising young actor.

Kenny View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2007 at 5:53pm

I liked this movie very much. I think saying stuff like "it's just a toy commercial" is not a way of constructive criticism in this case - of course it's a toy commercial, but the old series was that as well, and naturally it's going to have much product placement. However, if Spielberg and Bay really wanted it to bit more aimed at kids they would take away the masturbation jokes, tone down the violence and get a G-rating for this film. Then I would agree with some of you guys here that it was a movie for kids trying to sell toys.

Bay and his screenwriters knew that this movie and this concept was absurd, and the movie is well-aware of that it's stupid unlike some previous Bay-films that just took themselves way too seriously. But this one he did very well. Just the plot is so obviously cartoonish that I think some critics just missed what movie they really were set out to review. The funniest thing is really that the robots were probably more likeable and had more screen presence than most HUMANS in earlier Bay-films. Amazing job by ILM and the voice actors. Bay's action scenes were stunning in my opinion, but yeah, he could have kept the camera still in a few shots and the climax battle lacked some wide shots, but I was very impressed.

Big, loud fun and very entertaining Summer spectacle I say. The VFX may be the best ever created. Movies like LOTR, Spider-Man and Star Wars prequels may have had state-of-the-art effects but there were moments when it didn't look real - it looked like a VFX. This movie was completely flawless in that department. Also, Shia LaBoauf was just great - he brought ALOT to the film.

Needless to say, because this is a movie directed by Michael Bay that have grossed over 500 millions dollar worldwide - and counting - this will likely get a few Razzie-nominations, predictable and "wrong" as they can be. It's a high-budget, popular movie after all. And the Razzies love to shoot those down. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Don't be so sure, Kenny. There's way worse stuff out there than TRANSFORMERS this year -- Including "another" toy-commercial-posing-as-a-movie (which is clearly aimed at a young audience) BRATZ. When all of our Nominating Ballots are counted next January, there's at least the possibility that Michael Bay and His Big Box Office Behemoth could get off Berry-Free... 

ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 3:48am

I haven't seen the original animated version but the IMDb says Orson Welles was in it. And I'm sure that (well if the studio executive had a single brain cell for culture.) would waste the talent of Orson Welles. Don't believe me that Orson Welles was in it? Check out the 'Cast and Crew' IMDb profile here.

Originally posted by cvcjr13

And let's try to forget the horrid animated Transformers movie where some executive nimrod at Hasbro thought it was good business to kill off all the cool Transformers and introduce several really lame ones.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Just because Orson Welles had something to do with a project (especially if it was made after about 1958) that does not imply anything about the project's quality. For the last 25 or so years of his life, Welles pretty much took anything offered him, especially if it only involved voice over work (as I assume TRANSFORMERS would have). As I pointed out elsewhere on this Forum recently, one of the berry last things Welles did was a cameo role opposite Pia Zadora in her RAZZIE "winning" screen debut BUTTERFLY (for which Welles received his one-and-only RAZZIE Nomination as Worst Supporting Actor). Here's a LINK to the IMDb page for BUTTERFLY to check it out... 

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 4:51am

Not that I don't disagree with what HeadRAZZ is saying concerning what Orson. What Welles did accept his last 25 years of life was less than, shall we say, "reputation building." However, in his defense, he probably figured that, since no one cared about the great quality work he had put out early in his career (See his IMDB Link for further details) why bother trying to do so? At that point, he probably just figured he might as well do crap that audiences did watch at the time, and get a steady check for it.

Orson Welles was probably one of Hollywood's greatest film-makers, and the Hollywood corrupted him into what he was before he passed away. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Yes, Welles did make some of Hollywood's finest films in his early years. But his own profligate, self-indulgent lifestyle lead to his eventual corruption as much as anyone else in Hollywood did. A man of enormous appetites (in all areas of his life) Welles never seemed to think beyond the moment, spent every cent he made as soon as he made it, and made progressively un-wise choices in both his career and personal life. A large factor in his accepting the crappy assignments offered him in his later years was to simply enable himself to sustain the self-undlugent lifestyle to which he had obviously become accustomed.  An interesting analogy to Welles was the great silent director D.W. Griffith (BIRTH OF A NATION and INTOLERANCE). Griffith (IMDb LINK) pioneered many of the basic filmic technicques still used today, enjoyed enormous success prior to World War I, was a founding partner in United Artists. But, refusing to accede to the industry's demands that he work on more pedestrian product, Griffith ended his life a reclusive, all-but-forgotten alcoholic. Obviously, most people would choose Welle's route of self-indulgence over Griffith's of self-sacrifice. To my mind, Welles' end-of-life choices, though hardly laudible, do make a mastermind more human... 

Words to live by:
Kenny View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 7:30am

Response from Head RAZZberry: Don't be so sure, Kenny. There's way worse stuff out there than TRANSFORMERS this year -- Including "another" toy-commercial-posing-as-a-movie (which is clearly aimed at a young audience) BRATZ. When all of our Nominating Ballots are counted next January, there's at least the possibility that Michael Bay and His Big Box Office Behemoth could get off Berry-Free...

I hope so. Actually, I would lose alot of respect for you if you did  Just kidding. As far as summer blockbusters, I think there are some very disappointing third chapters that you could aim your Razzie-cannon towards instead. Orlando Bloom should get his goddamn Razzie now, it's about time.

ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 2:55am
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WE REALIZE THAT BOYS LIKE to PLAY WITH THEIR TOYS -- BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS. ESSENTIALLY a 140-MINUTE INFOMERCIAL for PRE-SCHOOL KIDS' "ACTION FIGURES," (AND CHEVY AUTOMOBILES... DON'T FOGET, CHEVY AUTOMOBILES... DID I MENTION CHEVY AUTOMOBILES??)

Yes, HeadRAZZBerry, I must admit that the movie did have a lot of Chevy ads. But I think Michael Bay also made fun of Chevy, especially when the car attacked the two people driving it...

ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 3:00am
Originally posted by ITbeast

Response from Head RAZZberry: Yes, Orson Welles did make some of Hollywood's finest films in his early years. But his own profligate, self-indulgent lifestyle lead to his eventual corruption as much as anyone else in Hollywood did. A man of enormous appetites (in all areas of his life) Welles never seemed to think beyond the moment, spent every cent he made as soon as he made it, and made progressively un-wise choices in both his career and personal life. A large factor in his accepting the crappy assignments offered him in his later years was to simply enable himself to sustain the self-undlugent lifestyle to which he had obviously become accustomed.  An interesting analogy to Welles was the great silent director D.W. Griffith (BIRTH OF A NATION and INTOLERANCE). Griffith (IMDb LINK) pioneered many of the basic filmic technicques still used today, enjoyed enormous success prior to World War I, was a founding partner in United Artists. But, refusing to accede to the industry's demands that he work on more pedestrian product, Griffith ended his life a reclusive, all-but-forgotten alcoholic. Obviously, most people would choose Welle's route of self-indulgence over Griffith's of self-sacrifice. To my mind, Welles' end-of-life choices, though hardly laudible, do make a mastermind more human... 

Don't we all do that at one point in our lives? I'm sure in one's past or in one's future (including mine, so don't think I'm trying to be selfish), especially people with fame, will do the same thing. We're human, that's it. We do things like that when we're human...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>