Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ORPHAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A 21st Century BAD SEED...or Just BAD?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 21st Century BAD SEED...or Just BAD?!?
    Posted: August 09 2009 at 3:17am

Well, you might not have used the word "hit", but you're trying entirely too hard to make it come across as a big success even though critics' reviews and box office draws were average at best.

And don't get started on that comparing Esther to Jason and Freddy, because if you went outside the bubble of IMDb and asked people if you think she's a horror movie icon on par with those two, I'm willing to bet money more than half the people you ask will reply "Esther Who?".

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 2:25pm
*Eye Roll*
-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 11:27am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Originally posted by Michaels

Yeah, you're right. But come on, there are movies I wished did better with critics' reviews and the box office, but I don't go around trying to proclaim that any slight increase in RT ratings or the grossings from week to week remaining steady as a sign the movie is a hit.

Very true. I do wish he'd quit trying to talk Orphan up to everyone.

But I never said it was a hit...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:41am

Yeah, you're right. But come on, there are movies I wished did better with critics' reviews and the box office, but I don't go around trying to proclaim that any slight increase in RT ratings or the grossings from week to week remaining steady as a sign the movie is a hit.

Very true. I do wish he'd quit trying to talk Orphan up to everyone.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:37am

I think we're going on the offensive here again... Just point out the fallacies, let's not get into name calling again.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 1:17am

... Did we really need the same ratings boost post in two topics?

Of course we did, I mean come on, it's MWG we're talking about here. Logic need not apply.

I think we're going on the offensive here again... Just point out the fallacies, let's not get into name calling again.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:52pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

American critics need to start loving some horror movies made from their own country.

Or American horror movie makers should learn how to make good movies. Just a thought.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:57pm
An argument I've found about this movie is that it provided cheap scares. Ok. I've just seen The Orphanage and I read that American critics liked it because it doesn't have cheap scares (Wikipedia). I'm sorry, but The Orphanage had as many SUBTLE cheap scares as Orphan. American critics need to start loving some horror movies made from their own country.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:27pm

Of course we did, I mean come on, it's MWG we're talking about here. Logic need not apply.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:23pm

Well, sure. One thread was on a RT thread and another in an ORPHAN thread.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:10am
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 7:08am
That's all good, but under 60% is still considered "rotten" on RT.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 6:27am
Wow! It just jumped from 46% to 52% in a day! I guess the movie is starting to open up in the international markets. It's about time more than half of the critics liked this movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 7:09am
I would say that you could probably consider Orphan a fiscal sucess. I'm sure it performed at least to expectations in terms of the amount of money they'd hope it pulled in.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 3:49am
I wonder if studios live by MWG's "drop theory". My guess is yes, because like MWG, it helps to convince them the movie is actually doing good.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 4:11pm
Wow. It's great to see this movie having some legs. With a 43% drop for the second weekend and making $600,000 less (-37%) than last Monday, I'm quite happy. It might even hold up better than The Uninvited, which held up pretty well with a low opening weekend as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>