Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ORPHAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A 21st Century BAD SEED...or Just BAD?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 21st Century BAD SEED...or Just BAD?!?
    Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:55am
It looks like it's ultimately going to end up in the mid-40s to mid-50s. So, not as bad as it looked, but still pretty mediocre.
-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 6:14am

Oh, shoot. I think the twist I'm thinking about is not actually true. I finally clicked on the thread that revealed the "twist" and I'm reading that people are now saying it's false. Thank God! I thought the movie was ruined! Now I just have to stay away from this board (and the one from IMDb) so I won't have the twist ruined.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 5:27am

YES! Roger Ebert gave this 3.5 stars out of 4! Not that anyone on this Forum cares anymore...

Here's a LINK to read Ebert's review...

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It should also be noted that "Users" at Ebert's site (as of this posting) have rated ORPHAN 1 Star Out of 4...

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 8:58am

I have not seen The Bad Seed, but I have seen The Good Son. It's the first movie I thought about when I saw the trailer for Orphan...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 8:14am
I read that too... It's NOT a good twist, if that is indeed the case. That's EVERY bit as lame as ghosts, and is almost the same thing, anyway. It's not original, it's the same thing only called something else.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 7:08am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

House of Wax was a PASSABLE film, i.e. not as bad as you're inclined to expect, but not exactly The Omen or Nightmare on Elm Street.

Unless someone wants to ruin the end of Orphan for me, I'm guessing that it turns out the little girl is a ghost, and that is JUST a guess, which would mix Bad Seed with... well, The Sixth Sense (as the most recent example). But nothing about Orphan looks any good to me.

I "think" I read the twist. I try to refrain myself from the IMDb board but my excitement for this movie ruined it....and ruined the twist. Let me say this: It'll make or break the movie. It's not ghosts. It's different and I find it ingenious and quite disturbing....unless it was a troll making up the twist.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2009 at 5:11am

House of Wax was a PASSABLE film, i.e. not as bad as you're inclined to expect, but not exactly The Omen or Nightmare on Elm Street.

Unless someone wants to ruin the end of Orphan for me, I'm guessing that it turns out the little girl is a ghost, and that is JUST a guess, which would mix Bad Seed with... well, The Sixth Sense (as the most recent example). But nothing about Orphan looks any good to me.

-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 1:55pm

To be fair, a lot of people are starting to find HoW to be an under-rated film. Anyway, to the answer for your question, you can click on the link I've provided. Read it, and it should shut you up about bad-mouthing that talented girl. God, I hope she doesn't grow up to be one of those crazy girls who are spoiled... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Exactly which "people are starting to find out HOUSE OF WAX" is "an under-rated film"??  With about 27,650 votes, it's currently got a 5.4-out-of-10 rating at IMDb; It rated a mere 37 favorable reviews versus 107 negative at RT; And over 52% of those rating it at B.O. MoJo gave it a "C" or worse. Not exactly a sterling series of endorsements...

Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 1:36pm

This movie is like the lovechild of The Bad Seed and The Good Son. Take a good movie, combine it with a half-assed knockoff, then have it directed by the bastard who did the House of Wax remake, and there you go: A possible Razzie contender.

Where do they get the kids for these roles anyway? If Isabelle Fuhrman's "acting career" continues, I can see her probably growing up to be Christina Ricci...and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 11:09am

I didn't know it was produced by DiCaprio....maybe there's a reason.  Anyway, I really look forward to this movie. Unlike some, I just fell in love with the trailer and seeing that it's from the director of House of Wax (the best slasher I've ever seen!) I'm even more excited. However, the main reason I think this will be good is because I just have this feeling. I don't know...I think I can tell good horror films from bad ones before they are released. This is one of them...

EDIT: I have a link to show you guys: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Audiences+scream+I sabelle+Fuhrman+Orphan/1809722/story.html

And here's the best part from it: After all, Orphan is proving to be more than merely scary. Preview screenings have left many moviegoers terrified and screaming in fear at the screen. And, once the movie is finally over and has delivered its final frightening plot twist, they're reluctant to leave the multiplex and head for the parking lot.

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:17am

...why is Leonardo DiCaprio among the producers?  I think of him as a great actor, but producer... I don't know.

If this is a knock off of The Bad Seed, it isn't the first.  Anyone else remember The Good Son (starring Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood)?  Same kind of thing.

As for G-Force, I bet it will be Bonus Worst, and likely NOT screened for critics in advance. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 4:40am

Orphan seems like a perfectly reasonable choice. I was expecting this one, since I saw the preview months ago, and though that it might just be the lamest horror movie of the year!

-Iron helps us play-
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 3:12am

You've already got a page for this up ----- and surprisingly, no G-FORCE???!!!!

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: What do you mean we've "already got a page for this up"??  This discussion, and the ancillary Forum pages for credits, official site and R.T. reviews on ORPHAN (LINK) were just posted about one hour ago. A "search" of the entire RAZZIE® Forum for the word "orphan" brought up no other pages specifically related to (or discussing) this title..

As for G-FORCE, I am awaiting reviews before deciding if it's actually RAZZIE® Worthy, or merely another mediocre Dizz-knee family film (like last year's dopey but essentially harmless BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA)... 

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 2:48am

THE PROCESS of ADOPTING a CHILD IS SCARY ENOUGH WITHOUT HOLLYWOOD SUGGESTING YOU COULD BE BRINGING SATAN's SPAWN into YOUR HOME to DESTROY YOUR FAMILY on TOP of EVERYTHING ELSE...

ESSENTIALLY a 21st CENTURY KNOCK-OFF of THE BAD SEED, ORPHAN PLAYS MERCILESSLY on EVERY PARENT's FEAR THAT THEY MAY BE RAISING a MASS MURDERER (OR, WORSE YET, an UNPOPULAR CHILD).

WHEN IT WORKS, THIS CONCEPT CAN BE SCARY as HELL. WHEN IT DOESN'T -- AND THIS ONE DOESN'T -- IT CAN STILL PRODUCE SCREAMS...of LAUGHTER.

NOW IT's YOUR TURN to ADOPT an UNFORGIVING ATTITUDE and HAVE AT the NEWEST MEMBER of OUR 2009 RAZZIE® FAMILY...ORPHAN. 

FURTHER FODDER for OUR FORUM MEMBERS: TURNS OUT THIS WAS DIRECTED by the SAME GUY WHO HELMED the RAZZIE® "WINNING" 2005 PARIS HILTON REMAKE of HOUSE OF WHACKS. WHILE THAT FILM WAS a WORST PICTURE NOMINEE, the FIFTH WORST DIRECTOR SLOT, WHICH COULD'VE GONE to ORPHAN "AUTEUR" COLLET-SERRA, WENT INSTEAD to NORA EPHRON for BEWITCHED...

"Mirror, mirror, on the wall...am I the most RAZZ-able brat of all??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678