Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 28th Annual RAZZIE® "Winners" > DADDY DAY CAMP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A "CAMP Classic" of the Pitiful Kind?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A "CAMP Classic" of the Pitiful Kind?!?!?
    Posted: July 31 2007 at 10:29am

SOME PEOPLE GAIN MOMENTUM from WINNING an OSCAR...SOME PEOPLE JUST CASH IN. GUESS WHICH GROUP CUBA GOODING JR. BELONGS IN?!?!?

10 YEARS AFTER HIS OSCAR for JERRY McGUIRE, APPARENTLY ALMOST NO ONE IS STILL WILLING to "SHOW CUBA the MONEY"...SO NOW HE's TUMBLED from HIS PREVIOUS RAZZIE®-NOMINATED ROLES in BOAT TRIP and RADIO to THIS WAY-WORSE  SEQUEL-SANS-IT's-ORIGINAL-STAR...WHICH IS a 2007 WORST PICTURE NOMINEE.

WHAT's HE GONNA DO for an ENCORE -- SET HIMSELF on FIRE??

GOODING: "Was that the camp sh*t-house exploding... or my career?!?!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 3:00pm
OK! ENOUGH! ENOUGH OF MAKING SEQUELS WITHOUT THE FIRST FILM'S MAIN STAR! FIRST WE GOT "EVAN ALMIGHTY" WITHOUT JIM CARREY AND IT WASN'T SO MIGHTY! NOW WE HAVE "DADDY DAY CAMP" WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY AND IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK CAMPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 4:25pm

I think "Daddy Day Camp" could be Ripoff of either "Meatballs" (LINK) or "Poison Ivy" (LINK)...

Response from Head RAZZberry: While DADDY DAY CAMP looks to be a likely contender for Worst Prequel or Sequel, I'm not so sure about it qualifying as a Remake/Rip-Off contender. There are certainly more obvious and egregious choices for that one (WHO'S YOUR CADDY springs to mind). And in the interest of RAZZing as many bad 2007 movies as we can (and we certainly have plenty to RAZZ this year!) I think maybe "double-dipping" by single titles in BOTH Prequel/Sequel and Remake/Rip-Off should probably not be encouraged... 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:15am

"Daddy Day Camp"? More like "Daddy Day Crap"! HAHAHAHAHA

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:24am

Poor Cuba Gooding Jr......What happend? I mean, he went from winning an Academy Award to starring in "Razzie-tastic" movies like "Snow Dogs," "Boat Trip," and "Shadowboxer."

"Daddy Day Care" looks like one of those "Jim Carrey sequels" where they couldn't get the original stars, so they settled for mediocre actors instead. Hopefully, this one will bite the dust when it is released. 

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 7:08am

It seems that on every thread, someone mentions that the movie in discussion is a rip-off of something. Just because it is about summer camp doesn't mean it is a ripoff of any other movie about camp. It is just another summer camp comedy like all the ones before it...one that happens to look really crappy.

Movies at this level of mediocrity often use ideas already used in other movies, so it doesn't make much sense to call this a rip-off of other movies that are merely similar to it... 

Originally posted by tomsmobr

I think "Daddy Day Camp" could be Ripoff of either "Meatballs" (LINK) or "Poison Ivy" (LINK)... 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 7:28am
This is a truly uneccessary sequel...first one was good, but this one...I don't know what to say!
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 1:32pm
Don't say anything.  Let it speak for itself, which it certainly does and then some. 
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:04pm
I think after winning that Oscar back in 1996, maybe Cuba just wanted to choose which movies to do, and not a lot of them have ended up being good at all. In fact, a lot of them have ended up being bad.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 5:01am

First of all, moviewizguy, Daddy Day Care was not good. Why a sequel was necessary is puzzling enough. But the really perplexing question is why Cuba Gooding is cleaning up after Eddie Murphy?

He has had many outstanding performances...Instinct, Men of Honor, Jerry McQuire and so on. I guess they all grab for the cash now and again. But there is almost no middle ground with this guy. Almost every role he takes either seems to be Oscar worthy or Razzie worthy. I think he needs to have a long talk with his agent...agents?

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 2:57pm
Cuba is now officially a joke. Whenever you're asked to fill in for a major star in a sequel that features no known actors, you should know your career is in trouble!!!
ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 4:18am

Wait HeadRAZZBerry, and everyone: Is Cuba Godding Jr. supposed to reprise Eddie Murphys role? Will they include a subplot where he wakes up one day and discovers that his skin color became lighter (not trying to be racist) he has a thin beard, and he's fatter? That he was changed by the Blue Fairy...and then they go into a fairy tale spoof (after "Happily N'Ever After" and "Drek the Third," we don't need that again in 2007!) 

With the way family entertainment's been going lately, I wouldn't be suprised! 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Out of morbid curiosity, I checked the credits on both DADDY DAY CAMP and DADDY DAY CARE on the IMDb. And, sure enough, the character played by Murphy in the first film, and by Gooding in this one, DO have the same name ("Charlie Hinton")...How lame!

Also, by the standards of the SHREK series, #3 was inferior. Sadly, by the standards of "family entertainment" in general of late, #3 was actually not that bad... 

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 2:28am

Cuba Gooding Jr is doing anything just to be in a lead role. Razz him good!

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 7:49am

Saturnwatcher, I agree completely that a sequel to this was far from necessary, even if the first one was, in my opinion tolerable.  

Unfortunately the sad truth of why Cuba took this role, especially since it had been in developmental Hell for so long, was he probably needed a paycheck since nothing good has come his way in years.

You are right about one thing you said, He really should have a nice long talk with his agent(s) and stop doing all these Cheesy movies he has been doing of late. 

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

First of all, moviewizguy, Daddy Day Care was not good. Why a sequel was necessary is puzzling enough. But the really perplexing question is why Cuba Gooding is cleaning up after Eddie Murphy?

He has had many outstanding performances...Instinct, Men of Honor, Jerry McQuire and so on. I guess they all grab for the cash now and again. But there is almost no middle ground with this guy. Almost every role he takes either seems to be Oscar worthy or Razzie worthy. I think he needs to have a long talk with his agent...agents?

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 9:50am
It's early to be sure, but as of this afternoon (Wednesday) Daddy Day Camp is pitching a shut-out at RT. With 35 reviews recorded, it is at 0%. I'd say if you want to see this one, you better do it quickly before it disappears under an avalanche of Razzies.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 10:15am
Here is the start of a negative review I found in this morning's edition of Contra Costa Times.

'Camp' not Gooding enough
  • Tasteless sequel to 2003 hit a not-so-smart addition to Oscar winner's resume
  • By Rick Bentley

MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS

"Eddie Murphy and Jeff Garlin must be the smartest men in the entertainment world. The actors had enough brain cells to know that their "Daddy Day Care" was an unexpected hit in 2003. That meant pushing the premise for a sequel made about as much sense as wearing a meat bathing suit in a pool of piranhas."

First, Jim Carrey for the sequels to his films (sans Ace Ventura 2), now Eddie Murphy and Jeff Garlin. Must be a pattern.

The next two paragraphs go something like this:

"Cuba Gooding Jr. and Paul Rae must be the dumbest men in entertainment. Gooding adds the "Daddy Day Care" sequel, "Daddy Day Camp," to a resume that includes "Rat Race," "Boat Trip" and "Norbit." These awful efforts have come along since he picked up the best supporting actor Oscar for his work in the 1996 film "Jerry Maguire." All actors make one or two mistakes. These four movies bring a rancid smell to Gooding's career that he'll have trouble getting rid of.

Granted, Rae didn't have that great a career to start with. There is such a thing as pride in your work."

The paper gave it DADDY a D-, by the way.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>