Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > SEPTEMBER DAWN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Deservedly Forgotten "Historic Moment"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Deservedly Forgotten "Historic Moment"?
    Posted: August 23 2007 at 1:33am

NO ONE'S EVER ACCUSED RELIGIOUSLY INSPIRED MOVIES of BEING SUBTLE. BUT the GUNS-BLAZING, WOMEN-COWERING, MORMONS-GITTIN-UNJUSTLY-WHUPPED ACTION of SEPTEMBER DAWN MAY SET a NEW LOW for BEAT-'EM-OVER-the-HEAD DIDACTICISM. THE NASTIER REVIEWS HAVE COMPARED the FILM to HACK POLITICAL ADS and INFOMERCIALS SHILLING "MIRACLE CURE" DRUGS.

AMONG THOSE TRAPPED in THIS WELL- MEANING BUT LIFELESS EXERCISE: FORMER CLARK KENT DEAN CAIN, TERENCE STAMP as BRIGHAM YOUNG and 4-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE JON VOIGHT, as "THE LEADER of the PACK."

FEEL FREE to GIT OUT YER GUNZ an' SET 'EM a-BLAZING BELOW...

Voight: "Jess think of me as Jabba thuh Putz!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 4:01am
Here's my favorite line, from Nick Schager of Slant Magazine: "Forget Grindhouse. September Dawn is the year's first honest-to-goodness  exploitation flick."

I don't know jack sh*t about the film, so I can't back my claim too much. But, whatever...
You think you know, but you have no idea.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 4:22am
Obviously 2007, is a "Miss" stage in Jon Voight's hit or miss career as of late. ( Ali, The Five People you meet in Heaven, and the miniseries where he played the Pope were hits, Baby Geniuses 2, Pearl Harbor, and September Dawn are misses.) Although National Treasure 2 looks like it will be better than the first one.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 4:33am

Boy, Jon must really need the paychecks if he keeps doing all this trash in 2007 (Bratz, September Dawn) or he is trying break a record on how many movies that one actor can be in one year (I don't count Transformers or National Treasure 2 as part of his trash). Maybe he is just trying to throw us off.

P.S. Still have no idea what this film is about or what is so Historical???

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 11:47am

The last couple of times I've seen Jon Voight, I have been left to wonder if it is really him, or if they were just using the wax statue of him that used to reside in The Movieland Wax Museum (now defunct).

Here is a website (with a bunch of links) if anyone's interested in the back story that inspired this movie. Personally, I already live too close to Utah!

http://www.septemberdawn.net/learn_more.html

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 3:00pm

I have yet to see this film, but I've read some of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and my reactions are based on those.

I don't know of any GOOD movies about any point in Mormon history, not even of the lives of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, let alone the dark, "we don't want to talk about this" points in their history, those points which every religion I've read about has.  If HeadRAZZBerry or others could name a few of those movies, I'd appreciate it.  I'd love to see a GOOD movie about gunslinger/U.S. Marshal/Joseph Smith bodyguard Orrin Porter Rockwell (he's a wonderful character, but there's only one apparently poor movie about him).  I'd also like one about the voyage of the Brooklyn with its 200 plus Mormons who decided to leave the United States for California only to take a detour to the Sandwich Islands (a.k.a. Hawaii) and when they finally arrived in California, it's now part of the U.S. (but the movie must honestly deal with the widow Lucy Buell Eagar (I'm not making up her name) and the three men, all of which newspaperman Captain Brannan excommunicated for bad doctrine and immorality--seeing the daily ship schedule, I want to know where they found the time!) as well as the rest of them, who the non-Mormons claim were the epitome of virtue.

That said, it shouldn't be hard to do a well done, sad but historical movie about the Mountain Meadows Massacre.   It's easy to bash the Mormon church about this incident because they covered it up, but I could point to other incidents other religions, Christian or otherwise, have covered up, too.  A movie about this incident should show it all, the paranoia between Mormons and non-Mormons at this time, the ill-fated Baker-Fancher party in yet another case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the build-up of bizarre logic used to justify the massacre and the heartbreak of Haight when he received, well too late, the notice from Brigham Young to let them through.  A few paragraphs at the end can mention the cover-up until recent times.  But just let the movie tell the story; don't moralize over it. 

Last year we had an excellent film called Blood Diamonds.  The makers of that film could have moralized about how wrong everything was until they were blue in the face.  If they did, they would have failed to make their case.  Instead, they showed the brutality and the humanity.  The conclusion was inescapable, but they NEVER HIT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH IT.  They put it all out there and let you decide.

Talking about horrible events with religious overtones may be trickier, but it seems to me the same approach should be taken. 

And please don't saddle it with the "star-crossed lovers" storyline.

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 3:49am
Wow, Jon Voight is a definite contender for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR. He was in "Transformers", "Bratz", and now this movie. No wonder Angelina doesn't speak to him!  
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 3:22pm

Angelina, however, has been targeted by the Razzies for quite a while, though she was missed out for 2 straight years. All that was from 2001-2004, 5 times she's been nominated, and yet she hasn't even "won" a Razzie. A 4-time Worst Actress Razzie nominee for 7 films, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Original Sin (2001), Life or Something Like It (2002), Beyond Borders and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) and Alexander and Taking Lives (2004). She's also been nominated for Worst Razzie Loser of Our First 25 Years in 2004, but lost that award to Ah-Nuld Schwarzenegger.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:15pm

However, I feel Angelina Jolie has made great recent strides to redeeming her career with such films as The Good Shepherd and A Mighty Heart, and I enjoyed Mr. & Mrs. Smith and look forward to
Beowulf

Her father, on the other hand, continues to lend his great talents to
substandard fare. For example, I felt Jon Voight did a fine job portraying the Secretary of Defense in Transformers. Made me wish he really was the Secretary of Defense. But what was he doing in Transformers?

And, if the reviews are correct, what is he doing in as awful a piece of dreck as September Dawn?

I hope father will follow his daughter's lead (and find good roles
offered to him, too).

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by bruin_522

Angelina, however, has been targeted by the Razzies for quite a while, though she was missed out for 2 straight years. All that was from 2001-2004, 5 times she's been nominated, and yet she hasn't even "won" a Razzie. A 4-time Worst Actress Razzie nominee for 7 films, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Original Sin (2001), Life or Something Like It (2002), Beyond Borders and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) and Alexander and Taking Lives (2004). She's also been nominated for Worst Razzie Loser of Our First 25 Years in 2004, but lost that award to Ah-Nuld Schwarzenegger.

Isn't it weird how they've both got Academy Awards and razzie nominations? Like Father Like Daughter.

sdb4k View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sdb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 9:16am

Scott Holleran, of Boxofficemojo.com, says it's "a solid drama about mormon massacre"

He also liked "the Invasion"  and hated "letters from iwo jima"

I hate this man...

"I went all over town searching for an accordian. And I can't find a single one! Jeez!"
-Bruce Hornsby in Memphis
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:45am

Maybe Scott Holleran is MovieWizGuy's secret Identity...Sure sounds like the same person!  

Originally posted by sdb4k

Scott Holleran, of Boxofficemojo.com, says it's "a solid drama about mormon massacre"

He also liked "the Invasion"  and hated "letters from iwo jima"

I hate this man...

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 1:07pm
Jabba thuh Putz is brilliant. Also, Scott Holleran liked "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle", the second worst sequel of all time (after "Batman & Robin", of course), and hated "Pan's Labrynth" and "Thank You For Smoking". I see what you mean.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 7:36am

I think Jon Voight and Christopher Walken are in a contest to see who can make the worst batch of movies this year while playing strange characters. I'd say it's a match between two of their movies, "Bratz" (Voight and his fake noise) and "Balls of Fury" (Walken with his weird clothes and hair).

ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 12:09am
Well, it could be worse...
 Post Reply Post Reply