Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > Disney's A CHRISTMAS CAROL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Dickens of a MESS?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Dickens of a MESS?!?
    Posted: November 09 2009 at 2:51pm

Ok. You're right. I'll respect his/her opinion until Michaels respects mine.

But anyway, which is the best movie version of the Christmas Carol story? I heard the 1951 version is the best. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since it is the most faithful to Dickens' original text -- And Alistair Sim perfectly captures the before-and-after versions of Scrooge -- I would concur that the 1951 British remake of A CHRISTMAS CAROL is the best done so far. The worst would have to be one of the Hanna Barberra animated ones -- Either A JETSONS' CHRISTMAS CAROL or A FLINTSTONES CHRISTMAS CAROL, both of which were done as holiday TV specials decades after the original shows left the air...

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 4:04pm
There are so many filmed incarnations of this story that asking 10 different people here is apt to yield 10 different answers. For my money, scrap all the filmed versions and read Dickens words.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 8:36pm

I'm reading Dickens words right now. . . .

It's interesting to find that different scenes from the book have been depicted in different movies.  For example, the men shoveling snow off their roofs throwing snowballs at each other is unique to this film.  It's also interesting to find other scenes which have never yet been filmed as far as I recall.  For example, in the book, the Ghost of Christmas Past grows noticeably older before Scrooge's eyes as the day goes by, and the hand of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come is a spectral hand, not a skeletal hand.

And there is no horse-driven hearse chasing Scrooge through the streets of London.  Apparently, Zemeckis took the hearse that went up Scrooge's staircase at the beginning of the book and converted it into a chase scene later in the movie.  Now, I wouldn't nominate the movie for any of the usual Razzies, but if I could nominate a single scene from a movie, this particular scene is bad.  It has nothing to do with the story, it kicks up my disbelief (rather than suspending it) it borrows from Lewis Carroll to shrink Scrooge (for some odd reason) and it is ridiculous.  It is as preposterous as the scene of stampeding brontosauruses in Peter Jackson's King Kong.  I know I'm in rare company around here for liking that movie, but the brontosaurus stampede was ridiculous and should have been re-thought and re-done if not completely cut out.  The same goes for the hearse scene in this movie. 

So, I propose this year's "Nuke The Fridge" award, in honor of Spielberg and Lucas giving us such a ridiculous movie scene, goes to Robert Zemeckis for the hearse chase scene in A Christmas Carol.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 7:29am

This movie is now one of the 20 qualifying films in the running for the Oscar as Best Animated Feature. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here is a LINK to check out the actual press release, as posted today on the AMPAS web site, announcing the 20 qualifying titles... 

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 5:46pm

I hope to see Coraline, 9, Ponyo and Up among the 5 Little Gold Naked Men nominees for Best Animated Feature.

And I hope to see Alvin & the Upchucks 2 among the Big Gold Naked RAZZberry nominees. . . .   

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 9:51am
I'm actually hoping UP to be nominated for Best Picture and not Best Animated Feature. Family Guy did that with the Emmy's.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 10:14am
This year, for the first time in quite awhile, there are actually a lot of quality films in the running for Best Picture. I admired Up, but I don't think that outside of the animated category, it is even in the top 10.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 2:05am

"Up" would be the ultimate dark horse for Best Picture. "Beauty and the Beast" was the one and only animated feature to get a nod for Best Picture, and no other animated film has been nominated before or since. The Oscars are known for liking live action, so don't get your hopes "up" ...no pun intended. 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 2:26pm
I'm curious about The Fantastic Mr. Fox... Wes Anderson has been really hit or miss lately, but it seems like it should be good. Of course, Transylmania is going to win the Best Picture Oscar, as anyone with a brain should know.
-Iron helps us play-
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 7:49pm
When this movie was first released, I thought this movie looked bad. While it's by no means among the best films of 2009 or any of the best Christmas movies ever, it's far from being really bad. It's been virtually disbarred from the 2009 RAZZIES, and the reviews were mixed, about 30% positive, 20% negative, and 50% of them average.

Perhaps the worst thing about this film is that it provides more questions than answers. The biggest question is: If the first weekend of November is usually 7 or 8 weeks before Christmas, why release it so soon if most movies can't spend that long in theatres?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123