Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > LEGEND of The GUARDIANS: The OWLS of GA' HOOLE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Real Head-Turner?!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Real Head-Turner?!?!?!?
    Posted: September 21 2010 at 2:01pm
SOMEONE RECENTLY SUGGESTED WE CONSIDER a SPECIAL RAZZIE® CATEGORY to DIS-HONOR WORST ANIMATED FEATURE, to WHICH WE SAID THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH BAD ANIMATED MOVIES to JUSTIFY IT...

THAT WAS ADMITTEDLY BEFORE WE STARTED SEEING ADs for LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: THE OWLS OF GA' HOOLE, WHICH COULD WELL BE the SILLIEST NOTION for an ANIMATED MOVIE in YEARS: A GROUP of HOOTY OWLS, DRESSED in ARMOR, FIGHT OFF GENOCIDE AS THEY FLIT THRU the SKY with SAPPY MUSIC ENDLESSLY DRONING in the BACKGROUND.

OWLS...in ARMOR?

OWLS...as HEROES??  

OWLS...?!?!? 

NOW THAT WE'VE STOPPED LAUGHING, MAY WE ADD THAT OUR BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT with THIS FILM IS THAT the TREACLY THEME SONG (WHICH SOUNDS LIKE a KNOCK-OFF of the INCESSANT/INSISTANT THEME SONG from TITANIC) ISN'T PERFORMED by...HOOTY and the BLOWFISH! 

OKAY, NOW IT's YOUR TURN to COME UP with HOOTINGLY AWFUL PUNS and HOAKY OWL JOKES...

"HOO!" WANTz 2 GO FIRST???  

BONUS LINK: HERE's a LINK to an L.A. TIMES ARTICLE DISCUSSING the FILM's TONE (APPRENTLY SO DARK THAT WARNERS IS NERVOUS ABOUT IT TURNING OFF FAMILY AUDIENCES) ITS BUDGET (LISTED as $80 MILLION for PRODUCTION PLUS $50 MILLION for MARKETING) and ITS APPARENT LACK of a CLEAR TARGET AUDIENCE (IT's from the DIRECTOR of 300, BUT IS BEING MARKETED to FAMILIES w/KIDS UNDER 12)...

IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 2:11pm
Too many mistakes. For a movie about owls, the creators of Ga'Hoole were naught but fools. If the storyline is as depressing as you say... hang on! I used to think plenty of animated movies had storylines as dark as this one, but perhaps they rarely got this dark. If the music sounds anyhow like My Heart Will Go On, it won't be what we're used to in a work of fiction. And the owl kind of does look like it's trying to have the edge of a Transformer, but the armor looks like it's made of stone. Hedwig, Pigwidgeon, and perhaps even Errol (from the Harry Potter series) were much better than this because all they did was run letters for the wizarding postal service, not try to fight battle!
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:16pm
I think a better title for this movie would be "Teenage Mutant Knight Owls"!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:36pm
Occasionally I have to stand up on the other side. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. The trailers I have seen look pretty magnificent. It might end up being a  disappointment, and disappointing me can be very hazardous to a film's health. (District 9, anyone?) I'll report back sometime this weekend.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:09pm
Well then, good luck to you, saturnwatcher. Hopefully, it won't be "District 9" all over again for ya.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:36pm
"Knight Owls".  Love it!  LOL
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 8:07pm
Thank you, thank you. Embarrassed
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 9:14pm
I think the trailer looks excellent. Sure, when you first see it and see animated owls, you go WTF. But after a couple of viewings, to me it looks epic. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 9:19pm
"It's like Narnia, if all the characters were replaced with owls!" 

This is one pitch that I just don't find appealing, and I doubt the average movie-goer will be hooked by it either...  

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 11:53pm
'IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??'

No I think it got lost on its way to Middle Earth, which is basically what this movie might be:

A Feathered version of 'Lord of the Rings' 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Feathered...or feather-brained?!?  

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:22am
This film is based on the first three books of Kathryn Lasky's book series, "Guardians of Ga'Hoole".  When I first saw the trailer, there was no indication that this film was a Razzie prospect.  The only two animated films this year that have said 'Razzie prospect' were "Alpha and Omega" and "Tangled." The animated effects in this should make up for any flaws it might have.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:41am
I don't think Tangled will come even close to being in the Razzie category.  The last really bad Disney animated movie was Home on the Range, and that didn't even come close.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:35am
Oh, and one more thing.  This film's competing against "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," so aside from younger viewers and families, I doubt that anyone will give a hoot to see this.

In case you're wondering why I have a bad impression of "Tangled", I saw the trailer and thought it was too absurd for my interest.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am not totally convinced that 2010 movie audience will want to spend time and money to see a story about Wall Street sharks -- The only group of people even less respected right now than members of Congress. Guess we'll know by Sunday...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 12:16pm
My guess: "The Town" stays #1 for a second week, but just barely.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: WALL STREET, TOO certainly has the potential to tank, and I actually expect, given that the L.A. Times article mentioned above (LINK AGAIN) suggests OWLS is likely to open in the $20 million range, that that could be enough to take the top spot. TOWN did just over $23 million its opening weekend and, unless word-of-mouth on it is astounding (and weekday numbers so far suggest it's good but not great -- LINK) TOWN is likely to end up with something in the $15-16 million range, for a likely 2nd or 3rd place finish...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 3:58pm
Lately, most adaptations of fantasy books haven't been well received. Actually, any fantasy movie. Like THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES and THE GOLDEN COMPASS(both with Freddie Highmore). And who can forget remember BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA, ERAGON and THE WATER HORSE?  

The only reason CHRONICLES OF NARNIA did so well was because the books were hugely popular among kids before they filmed them. 

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

IS IT JUST US, OR DOES THIS LOOK LIKE an OWL 
TRYING TO PASS ITSELF OFF AS a TRANSFORMER??

1)What's wrong with MY HEART WILL GO ON? 

2)He does look like a Transformer.If this movie was about owls that turn into robots, it would be much more interesting. 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

In case you're wondering why I have a bad impression of "Tangled", I saw the trailer and thought it was too absurd for my interest.  

Really? I laughed at the trailer. It struck me as the next SHREK (based on the style of its humor). 

Actually, the reason people may not go see WALL $TREET 2 would be because economics is so boring to talk about. Would anyone want to watch a movie about that? 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:43pm
Yeah, I'm guessing nothing else will make $20+ million this weekend... 

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

TOWN is likely to end up with something in the $15-16 million range, for a likely 2nd or 3rd place finish...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>