Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > ONE MISSED CALL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Remake of a Rip-Off of a Knock-Off...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Remake of a Rip-Off of a Knock-Off...
    Posted: May 12 2008 at 11:33am

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that J-Horror movies are anti-technologly? That ghosts will kill us through our cell phones, VCRs, cameras, cars, etc. Granted, when the Japanese make them, they're well done. When we re-make them, they're just laughable.

And whats happened to Edward Burns? Ever since "A Sound of Thunder," he's been in a downward spiral.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Your reference to SOUND OF THUNDER is the answer to your own question. If you saw that film (and I was one of the 237 people who actually did) you know that any career would have trouble recuperating from such a massive mis-step... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:10am
A Sound of Thunder was actually entertaining. It's just the fact that it didn't have a bigger budget (not saying that it didn't have a big budget already) and the stars aren't really well known that the movie may have been lower than expected....
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:58am

"A Sound Of Thunder" almost made "Son Of The Mask" look like "The Mask".

Almost.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:59am

I actually compared the remake to the original (unlike some of the guys on IMDb).  I found three major differences: The first difference (and probably the most apparent) was that they made the ringtone shorter and more innocent (that's one bad way to avoid plagiarism).  The second difference was that *SPOILER* one victim in the remake was impaled by a flying piece of rebar, while his counterpart in the original was pulled down an elevator shaft *END SPOILER*.  As for the third difference, well let's just say the ending was badly twisted (there's too much detail to go into). 

This is a likely nominee for Worst Remake/Ripoff (behind Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans) and Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie, though The Happening might win in a landslide...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:11am
How can you say that? One Missed Call is one of the worst movies this year, not to mention (I think) that is currently has a 0% in Rotton Tomatoes.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:29am

"The Happening" has a better chance of winning a "Worst Excuse For A Horror Movie" award because for the most part, it produced more laughs than it did screams.

With so many contenders like "Prom Night", "One Missed Call", "The Eye", etc., there should also be a Worst Horror Movie Remake category, or else the Worst Remake/Sequel catagory could be overfull... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 11:15am

If we had that category, Prom Night would be the top contender and this would be second (or vice versa, I'm really not sure).

If I remember correctly, Worst Remake and Worst Sequel were two separate categories as of two years ago.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 12:13pm

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For 2008, due to there being too few truly sucky prequels or sequels this year, we will be rolling Worst Prequel/Remake/Rip-Off or Sequel into a single category... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 2:11pm

Your Forums picked on six sequels.  Technically, that's not exactly "too few".

If that IS the case, I'll have to take my five potential Worst Remake or Ripoff nominees and my five potential Worst Prequel or Sequel nominees and pick the five worst out of those.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 12:28pm

While The Eye wasn't exactly memorable, I don't think it can compare with some of the other "horror" movies made this year. Compared to The Happening, Prom Night, and One Missed Call, The Eye seems
like The Excorcist.

Originally posted by Michaels

"The Happening" has a better chance of winning a
"Worst Excuse For A Horror Movie" award because for the most part, it
produced more laughs than it did screams.

With so many contenders like "Prom Night", "One Missed Call", "The Eye",
etc., there should also be a Worst Horror Movie Remake category, or else
the Worst Remake/Sequel catagory could be overfull... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 1:48am
I got my voting ballot yesterday, and I was amazed that this movie was nowhere to be found on it. Go figure.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 2:41pm

I got my voting ballot yesterday, and I was amazed that this movie was nowhere to be found on it. Go figure.

Really? I, who am accused of liking 99.9% of films I see, absolutely hated this film...I really did...I did. It's one of the worst films ever created! WHY WASN'T IT ON THE EFFING BALLOT?!!!!!! WHY?! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Geez, if you're that upset, you can alwaze write it in all over your ballot.

As I am forced to explain every year: Even we cannot RAZZ Every Bad Movie. Having been released almost an entire year ago (and being seen by almost no one) ONE MISSED CALL simply didn't make our final cut.

If it makes you any happier, it was under consideration for a "special category" for Worst American Remake of a Foreign Film -- but there were not enough contenders to make such a category competitive, and in the end, the category was dropped...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 3:50pm

You hate 99.9% of the movies you see? I would never have known...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 10:52am

Reread.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 1:50pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Reread.

Just did, yeah, you do seem to enjoy every movie you see, except for this one.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 2:37pm
So...what were the nominations? I would like to see them. I just hope they don't include The Happening -- although it seems pretty impossible not for it to be up for several, since 95% of the world seems to downright hate it. The scary thing is that the movie reveals the dark sides of people. Something about killing M. Night or something...whatever. I just have to come out and say it's one of the most misunderstood movies ever created. Note: EVER! It's very unfair...   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>