Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > ONE MISSED CALL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Remake of a Rip-Off of a Knock-Off...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Remake of a Rip-Off of a Knock-Off...
    Posted: December 27 2008 at 5:45pm

Yeah, it was, if I remember correctly. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Just to be clear here: Our actual nominations for The 29th Annual RAZZIES® will not be formally announced until January 21. Right now, our Nominating Ballots are still out, and I assume Michaels is referring above to the fact that THE HAPPENING is lisited as a potential contender in 7 categories on that ballot.  Voting Members have until January 10 to submit their choices... 

[QUOTE=moviewizguy]So...what were the nominations? I would like to see them. I just hope they don't include The Happening -- although it seems pretty impossible not for it to be up for several, since 95% of the world seems to downright hate it. The scary thing is that the movie reveals the dark sides of people. Something about killing M. Night or something...whatever. I just have to come out and say it's one of the most misunderstood movies ever created. Note: EVER! It's very unfair...   QUOTE]

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
wolfee37 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfee37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 9:20am
Wow two horror films that NEED to be nominated. This and Molly Hartley are cinematic trash at its finest. The Happening, being such a HUGE disappointment, is also one of the worst films of this year.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 10:13pm

Time for One Missed Call, easily the worst remake of an Asian horror movie ever. And considering how almost all of them (except The Ring and maybe The Grudge) sucked, that's saying a lot.

My favorite thing about the film is the ghost baby. Mainly because it has a cellphone. Ghost parents should stop giving their children cellphones at such a young age. It's supposed to be scary, but I was laughing.

Eric Valette's direction is bad. He can't create tension or make good scares to save his life. Ray Wise has a pretty bad glorified cameo as a sleazy TV show producer. It's not the worst movie he's had a glorified cameo in (that would be Atlas Shrugged 2: The Search For Glenn Beck's Gold) but it's still pretty bad. Also, Margaret Cho has a WTF cameo as a cop.

Edward Burns is hilariously bad as a cop. He hasn't been in a good movie since the '90s. Also horrible is Shannyn Sossamon. She's mostly known for playing the lady blacksmith in A Knight's Tale. Her character in that film is apparently a psychic too since she knows what a certain logo looks like.* She hasn't done anything of note since this movie. That's probably because of this movie. Her acting skills are almost as bad as her child-naming skills. But what makes this film so awful is how dumb the characters are. They receive a cellphone call of their last words before they die. Instead of making sure they don't say these words, they say them anyway. I could see the first couple victims doing this, but the rest don't listen. At the least, they could have spoke with a different accent than the one heard on the call. Sure, it would have been dumb, but I would've had fun making fun of it in this review.

The only horror movie that I can think of that has characters this dumb is the Prom Night remake from 2008.

My Grade: F

Next-up: Prom Night 2008!

*Note to self: I should review A Knight's Tale in the future.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 11:46am
Maybe you should re-watch (and then maybe review) THE GRUDGE to see if it does suck or not. I don't know, because I haven't seen it.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

One Missed Call, easily the worst remake of an Asian horror movie ever. And considering how almost all of them (except The Ring and maybe The Grudge) sucked, that's saying a lot.

Why was it a WTF cameo?

Margaret Cho has a WTF cameo as a cop.

Does that include the ones he's directed?

Edward Burns is hilariously bad as a cop. He hasn't been in a good movie since the '90s.

That was Laura Fraser. She has had a slightly better career than Sossamon. She was nominted for a SAG for Best Ensemble and a Vits Award for Best Guest TV Performance for BREAKING BAD.

Sossamon played the love interest in A KNIGHT'S TALE. While she hasn't been around that much (yes, because of this movie), she was praised for a movie called ROAD TO NOWHERE.

Also horrible is Shannyn Sossamon. She's mostly known for playing the lady blacksmith in A Knight's Tale.

?

Her character in that film is apparently a psychic too since she knows what a I am a cheap JERK! logo looks like.*

Are you talking about Mortimer?

Her acting skills are almost as bad as her child-naming skills.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 11:50am
Maybe because she is a comedian and you would never expect her to be in a "serious" movie, let alone a horror movie.

Originally posted by Vits

Why was it a WTF cameo?

Margaret Cho has a WTF cameo as a cop.

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 1:23pm
Vits:

1.) I liked The Grudge, but a lot of people didn't so that's why I put maybe.

2.) What oiram said.

3.) Yes.

4.) Oh, OK.

5.) The word that I had there ran afoul the word replacer here. I'll just say that it begins with an n and it rhymes with bike.

6.) I made that joke because Sossamon named her son Audio Science in real life.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 1:41pm
Oh. I still don't get it.

The word that I had there ran afoul the word replacer here. I'll just say that it begins with an n and it rhymes with bike.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123