Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > WICKER MAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Self-Immolating "Thriller"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Self-Immolating "Thriller"
    Posted: February 01 2007 at 4:37am
I'm gonna have to agree with Head RAZZ on his comment to ya, Cage Fan. I actually think there is every reason for Cage to deserve this Razzie nom he just received. Not to mention, up next for Cage is Ghost Rider. After watching the TV ads for that movie, it sure looks like it would end up being another Berry Bad film.
Happy Jack View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Happy Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2007 at 4:49pm
And on the contrary, there is every reason for Cage to deserve those 2 Razzie noms this year, both for this movie.
Tippie View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 7:40am
Anyone ready for Ghost Rider? I'm not quite ready for it. I actually do think it will be rediculous for sure. No offense, Cage is a good actor, but he's just been choosing to do too many bad films lately.
Q View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 8:12am
The original Wicker Man actually received an R rating, this remake earned a PG-13 rating. I thought it should have received an R rating like the original. I even thought that the first time I saw Titanic.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 2:28am
Well, think about it, Ghost Rider has just been added on the list of Potential 2007 Razzie Nominees. But speaking of that, I've been watching this film a few days ago, and it like reminded me of some nightmares people have, like nightmare of witches. But it wasn't really scary. This movie was never made to be scary at all.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 2:59am
So, Ghost Rider made a ton of money at the President's Day Box Office, the 4-day Weekend, with over $51 million, with Bridge to Terabithia finishing 2nd at over $29 million. Norbit dropped to 3rd, but is now sitting at over $62 million. No surprise about any of this at all.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 3:08am
Of course, if GHOST RIDER keeps it up with those Box Office Numbers, it will most likely make it past the $100 Million Dollar mark for sure.
msalig View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote msalig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:22am
First off, Cage is easily one of the worst in the business. I have to say there are times when he is better or tolerable but he is not that far off of Sly in my opinion for one of the worst ever. He has no discipline when picking roles. Action Hero!!??? you have to be kidding. Super Villian!!?? not really. The vast majority of his work should be at least nominated or mentioned for Razzies.
WTC?? Wickerman?? That's rich. Well actually he is! But rich does not mean you are a good actor.

PS his Oscar came in yet another Hollywood remake I believe..."The Lost Weekend" ??? 
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 11:48am
My grandma laughed at this!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 3:42am

Click here to see a spoof trailer depicting the horror remake Wicker Man as a comedy.  Considering the material the creator had to work with, this didn't take much effort.  The only scene the trailer is missing is Cage using his cel phone in the middle of a forest.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 2:28pm
I just saw the orignal version. It's great on it's own, but when compared to the monstrosity that was the remake, it gets even better.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Click here to see a spoof trailer depicting the horror remake Wicker Man as a comedy.  Considering the material the creator had to work with, this didn't take much effort.  The only scene the trailer is missing is Cage using his cel phone in the middle of a forest.

Oh dear lord, that was funny! See, put those scenes together and it comes across as a comedy, so I don't know why the filmmakers thought they would be considered serious or scary as part of a whole film.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:28am
I just saw it,but won't review it.

Now,I feel even closer to the Razzies.You see,while watching it I noticed it was a mystery thriller,but until it was over,I didn't know it was meant to be a horror movie.Also,while I've seen poorly made movies in the past and called them "unintentional comedies",I've never actually laughed...until now.I only laughed 3 maybe 5 times,but that's enough,right?The biggest laugh was with "How did it get burnt?How did it get burnt?How did it get buuurnt?!".Meanwhile,the first half was a boredom.And why didn't they explain anything at the end?

I'm considering taking Cage out of my 2011 front-runners.I just couldn't bare the thought of him winning after not winning for this movie.

I give this 1/10(could've been 0).It should've also been up for Worst Director,since visually it's the definition of campy,and maybe Worst Supp. Actress for LeeLee Sobieski(the face she puts when she passes out after being thrown to the wall was enough for me).
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:34am
I think you'll enjoy reading this comments on the movie:
-Nicolas Cage:"There is a mischievous mind at work on the movie,you know?You know what I mean?And I finally kind of said,"I might have known that the movie was meant to be absurd".But saying that now after the fact is OK,but to say it before the fact is not,because you have to let the movie have its own life".

-Edward Woodward(star of the original movie who declined another role here):"I was surprisingly impressed by the quality of the script".

-Christopher Lee(co-star of the original movie):"What do I think of my character being played by a woman?Nothing.There's nothing to say".

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 8:46pm
Time for an incredibly bad movie. This movie's basically one of the biggest bad movie punchlines in recent memory. However, I think its reputation as a bad movie classic is overblown.
About the only thing I actually like about this is the last act. This is where all the parts of those "best of The Wicker Man" videos come from. The bear suit, the bees, etc. This is where the film's reputation comes from. Aside from this scene, the movie's boring as Hell.

Neil LaBute's direction is bad. Going by this, he has absolutely no talent for directing the actors. The additions to the original script are just bad. In the original, the main conflict was between religion and paganism. In this, it's a tired men v.s. women plot.

Going by this and some of LaBute's other films (specifically In The Company Of Men), he has major problems with women. ALL the women in this film are evil, homicidal loonies. A good portion of the men in the movie are lobotomized and only used for breeding purposes. It's the ultimate men's rights nightmare. So Neil LaBute is on par with the guy who writes Dilbert. Ellen Burstyn is just awful. I wacthed The Last Picture Show last night and she was really great in it. Relieving this after watching this is like looking at a picture of a baby from the '50s and then looking at a mugshot of the baby today. Anyone who's heard about or seen this knows what the worst thing is: Nicolas Cage. Half the time he's bland as sh*t. You don't see much of that because all the best of videos focus on him the other half of the time. The other half of his screen time is the scenes of him losing his sh*t. This were we got the following classic lines: "How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned, how'd it get burned?" "Not the bees!" and my personal favorite "Kiliing me won't bring back your goddamn honey!"

The main reason I reviewed this was because the student broadcast I work on did a feature on the "Nicolas Cage as Everything" blog a week or two ago. After we shot it we all started quoting this. Grade: F

Next-up: Deep Blue Sea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12