Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?
    Posted: February 09 2010 at 12:50pm

I don't hate Mister Shy. I'm just saying the guy was the flavor of the month back in 1999. I'm sure he has his cult following, much like David Lench does, but his days as being regarded as the next Spielberg or Hitchcock are long dead. Whether you two would like to admit it or not, he dropped the ball three times, he shot himself in the foot three times, and he's lost respect by critics and audiences alike because of it. You guys may defend him, but there will always be a very sizable amount of people who don't care for his work, and think of him as a one trick pony, and most of those people are here.

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

1. After the wildly successful "Sixth Sense", Mister Shy had to follow it up with something. First, "Unbreakable", which in retrospect, I find funny because it predicted the popularity of comics books, and now here we are with two or four comic book movies a year. "Signs", maybe the last good movie Mel Gibson did before he went insane and decided somehow all Jews should be held accountable for starting all wars. What did both have in common? Twist endings. So, as I said, he got stuck on a formula and it bit him on the ass, because for "Village", people already figured the twist out within the first 10 minutes, and they didn't care to stay for the rest of the movie because, quite frankly, it's his worse.

And if you bothered to see the movie, the twist is the whole point of the film. People these days seem to link how good a twist is to how good a movie is. I find that laughable.

2. "Lady In The Water". A clusterf*** of genres, he casts himself as the most important character in the movie (something Stanley Kubrick NEVER did, and you may not think that ego centeric, but EVERYONE ELSE did), and he kills off a critic in the movie just to get revenge on the critics that bashed "Village" (yeah, like that is going to go over well).

LitW is only two genres: A drama and a fantasy. There is nothing more to add. Oh, and whoopdeedo, he cast himself as the most important character and killed off a critic. SO WHAT? What the hell does those two points have ANYTHING to do with how the movie is? Nothing, whatsoever.

3. After two strikes, does he try to make a comeback movie? NO! Instead, he makes "Happening", which is this plot hole filled movie that was trying to take itself seriously and campy at the same time, and as a result, audiences were turned off by it. Yeah, when you're coming off of two bad movies, making a third bad movie on purpose is not a good idea.

Oh, whatever floats people's boat. I can understand why people don't like this movie so I won't argue against that.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 6:07pm
Okay, ah, yes the twist was the whole point of "TSS", but then Mister Shy made that the whole point of all his movies, thus he became a one trick pony, and hence he lost favor with audiences. NO, "LitW" had elements of drama, comedy, fantasy, and horror, and they didn't mix well. Come on, the Koran school girl with the annoying accent, comedy. The Hispanic family and the over the top killing of a spider under the sink, comedy. A guy who only works out one half of his body, comedy. The gang of pot heads, comedy. And then of course, there's a grass demon thing running around trying to kill people, horror. I'm glad you do understand people don't like this movie, even if it's not the reason why you think so.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Okay, ah, yes the twist was the whole point of "TSS"

No, I meant that for The Village. What makes the twist in TSS so good is that if you take the twist out, the story holds itself pretty well.

NO, "LitW" had elements of drama, comedy, fantasy, and horror, and they didn't mix well. Come on, the Koran school girl with the annoying accent, comedy. The Hispanic family and the over the top killing of a spider under the sink, comedy. A guy who only works out one half of his body, comedy. The gang of pot heads, comedy. And then of course, there's a grass demon thing running around trying to kill people, horror. I'm glad you do understand people don't like this movie, even if it's not the reason why you think so.  

I think you're mixing things up with genre and elements. All of M. Night's movies have ELEMENTS of comedy but he has never made a comedy. His movies have elements of horror, but he never made a horror movie. LitW was not about a scrunt who goes around killing people in gratuitous ways nor was it about a group of tenants who try to be funny. LitW is mainly about a fairy tale which happens to take place in the real world where every person has a purpose in life.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 7:08am
Hey,moviewizguy,how can you call yourself a fan of him,and say that the twists are the whole point?

The only movies in which the entire plot is built around the twists are THE 6TH SENSE and THE VILLAGE.

Even if the twist is one of the main reasons for the success of the first one(if not the #1),it's not the only one.It got nominated for 6 Oscars including "Best Picture",and you think it was just'cuz of the ending?No.If you watch the whole movie,you'll already decide that you love it before it reaches the final scene.

As for THE VILLAGE,that one had the best of the endings,'cuz you have to analyze it deeply,but the sacrifice was that the better the twist endin,the less good is the rest of the movie.I liked a lot,but not the majority,and that's what counts.

And I was wrong before.He has had 1 success(good box office,good reviews),2 semi-sucesses(good box office,mixed reviews),1 failure(this one(bad box office,bad reviews)and 2 semi-failures(good box office,bad reviews).
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Vits

And I was wrong before.He has had 1 success(good box office,good reviews),2 semi-sucesses(good box office,mixed reviews),1 failure(this one(bad box office,bad reviews)and 2 semi-failures(good box office,bad reviews).
Yeah, that's not a very good track record, and that's why critics and audiences have lost respect for him. He has only delivered one hit, while everything since then has been hit or miss, mostly miss.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 11:01am
My point is he's 50% good.I know that's not much,but it's not bad,like you and a lot of people say.This statement is of course based on the majority's opinion.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 11:24am
50%? One hit, two semi-hits, and three strikes in a row (either with critics or with audiences). I would say that's more like 35% or MAYBE 45%. If "Last Air Bender" is some kind of success with critics AND audiences, THEN, he would be back to 50%. We'll have to wait and see, but given his track record, do not be upset when "Last Air Bender" has its own sub-forum posted here. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 11:32am

The point is he's not a bad filmmaker,like a lot of people say.

And twist endings with plot biult around them are good...if you don't always use them,like the LOST episodes WALKABOUT and THROUGH THE LOOKIN'GLASS.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Vits

Hey,moviewizguy,how can you call yourself a fan of him,and say that the twists are the whole point?

I only said that for The Village. I never said the twists were the main point except The Village.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 4:32pm
In order to be a main point,there have to be other points.THE VILLAGE isn't his best work,but it's enjoyable,even if you don't count the twist.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 1:45pm
I just reviewed this movie at Rotten Tomatoes.Please vote:
www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/reviews/edit.php?type=2&id=1156583
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 3:37pm
I entered it on my list of "Good and average movies with bad directing". I didn't enjoy Shyamalan's directing, but I did enjoy him as a writer and producer.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 4:48pm
Sorry, man, but his writing was what started the beginning of the end of his career with this movie. Like politics, there are things you shouldn't say or do in order to keep yourself in good standing with others. Two such things in filmmaking include portraying critics as negative trolls who die horrible deaths, and casting yourself as a writer whose work will bring about world peace. 

Why? Because it makes you look like an egocentric prick!  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 2:00pm
Today is Shyamalan's birthday!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 4:44pm
Did we really need three posts about the 40th birthday of a failing director?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>