Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?
    Posted: August 06 2010 at 6:55pm
Of course!  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Did we really need three posts about the 40th birthday of a failing director?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 8:40pm
Oh, you forgot to end your sentence! I'll finish it for you: "Of course ... NOT!" 
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 12:35pm
I just rewatched this film yesterday and I cried. This is my 4th favorite MNS film and I place it above Unbreakable. I made a recent post about this film and I would like to post it here to have a discussion of why this was truly "bad":

Most of the hate comes from the fact that MNS is playing a character whose work will inspire one to change the world and people associate that with him being egotistical, pretentious, etc. This argument doesn't hold much water considering if a person other than MNS played the character, would the movie have been automatically good? That seems to be the case. People are also unfairly trying to blend the lines between fiction and reality of MNS's character. He is simply playing a character. In no way, shape, or form is he trying to make a statement of how Messiah-like he is. It's a really crappy way to say a film is bad. That's like saying Clint Eastwood is a racist because of his character in Gran Torino. He's simply playing a character who happens to be racist. That doesn't mean he's racist in real life!

Another thing that I found to be a common complaint is that the characters in the film just happen to go along with the whole story without questioning its truthfulness. MNS could have easily solved this problem with using flashy special effects to show that Story was a narf and not some naked girl in someone's shower. For example, in Race to Witch Mountain, the two alien kids had a hard time trying to convince this one character that they are, in fact, aliens. So one of the aliens decided to use telekinesis to move a laptop without touching it, thus convincing the character that they are mystical  beings from outer space. But guess what, Lady in the Water is not a film that showcases CGI and effects and implying that the film would have been much more convincing with the use of special effects just shows how little imagination movie audiences have these days. Also, complaining about how people just went along with the idea to save Story is stupid because it was obvious she had an effect on people when they first laid their eyes on her. This was perhaps a substitute for showing special effects to wow the audience.

Other than that, if people stop trying to make a mountain over these two small molehills, I will have no doubt that people would enjoy the film a lot more. Sure, it's a flawed film. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky and there could have been more of a threat than one "evil" dog preventing Story to go back to her home, but it's a magical film with a beautiful message and a terrific performance by Paul Giamatti. "Every being have a purpose." How can you guys seriously hate this film with such an uplifting message?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Most of the hate comes from the fact that MNS is playing a character whose work will inspire one to change the world and people associate that with him being egotistical, pretentious, etc. This argument doesn't hold much water considering if a person other than MNS played the character, would the movie have been automatically good? That seems to be the case. People are also unfairly trying to blend the lines between fiction and reality of MNS's character. He is simply playing a character. In no way, shape, or form is he trying to make a statement of how Messiah-like he is.

It's because he wrote the character for him to portray.I don't think he thinks of himself as a messiah,nor that it was his idea to look that way.The real problem is casting himself in a main role(no matter which one),because he clearly is no actor.

Another thing that I found to be a common complaint is that the characters in the film just happen to go along with the whole story without questioning its truthfulness. MNS could have easily solved this problem with using flashy special effects to show that Story was a narf and not some naked girl in someone's shower.

I've haven't heard of people complaining about that,and I doubt it.That's what happens in fantasy movies,specially in modern ones like STRANGER THAN FICTION or the Charlie Kaufman ones.

Please never again talk about the movie not having B.D.H. wet and half-naked,because that's one of my highlights(shallow highlights,of course).

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 6:37pm
My lord, you people won't let this movie go!

1. MNS could have hired any bum off the street to play that role, but no, he casted himself instead. That same year, he was in a credit card commerical in which he again proclaimed himself a genius during the ad. And let's not forget the subplot of the angry film critic who existed for the sole purpose of MNS to lash out at the critics who hated "The Village". These clues point to MNS breaking his own arm while patting himself on the back and the audience smelled this bulls*** from a mile away (except MWG and Vits, of course). Why would anyone watch a movie when in the end, all it was was a love letter from MNS to himself!?

2. Yeah, Story should have used some kind of magic, otherwise, she's just a naked girl in shower and the only proof she has is that she can make people feel "tingly". Yeah, sitting on your leg for too long does the same thing, but that's not magical in any way. In any other movie, the people would be reaching for the phone to call the psycho ward of the local hospital after she told the outrageous tale she did. She didn's have to go into this CGI, "Terminator 2" or "Avatar" quality morph into her true form, but she had to do SOMETHING to prove what she really was instead of everyone just agreeing to it hook, line, and sinker. Oh, and BHD wasn't naked enough! Should have gone with a full frontal with her arms blocking the naughty bits.

3. There are more reasons why this movie so hated. The supporting characters couldn't be any more cartoonish. The walking sterotype that was the Asian student with her bad accent and broken English. The bodybuilder guy who only works out half of his body. The film critic, and the list goes on. How can anyone take this movie seriously when such cartoon characters are all over the place and making you laugh for all the wrong reasons? And the weak twist of "well, everyone has a role in the story, we just got the wrong people in the wrong roles". Wow, really not trying there.

"Every being have a purpose." How can you guys seriously hate this film with such an uplifting message?" Answer: because that message has been delivered before in movies much better than this one.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 7:40pm

1. MNS could have hired any bum off the street to play that role, but no, he casted himself instead. That same year, he was in a credit card commerical in which he again proclaimed himself a genius during the ad. And let's not forget the subplot of the angry film critic who existed for the sole purpose of MNS to lash out at the critics who hated "The Village". These clues point to MNS breaking his own arm while patting himself on the back and the audience smelled this bulls*** from a mile away (except MWG and Vits, of course). Why would anyone watch a movie when in the end, all it was was a love letter from MNS to himself!?

Umm...maybe it was just a coincidence that you saw the commerical a week after you saw the film. Ever think of that? Also, you're not a critic so why would you be pissed off by the fact that he killed off the critic? He needed a character that needed to act snobby and act like they know everything. Other than a film geek, which would anger the entire film community, he stuck with the most relevant choice: A film critic. What could have been a better choice than a know-it-all critic? Honestly, that was the perfect choice. Even Ratatouille portrayed the critic in the worst possible way until the third act.

2. Yeah, Story should have used some kind of magic, otherwise, she's just a naked girl in shower and the only proof she has is that she can make people feel "tingly". Yeah, sitting on your leg for too long does the same thing, but that's not magical in any way. In any other movie, the people would be reaching for the phone to call the psycho ward of the local hospital after she told the outrageous tale she did. She didn's have to go into this CGI, "Terminator 2" or "Avatar" quality morph into her true form, but she had to do SOMETHING to prove what she really was instead of everyone just agreeing to it hook, line, and sinker. Oh, and BHD wasn't naked enough! Should have gone with a full frontal with her arms blocking the naughty bits.

But it's not a huge part of the story.

3. There are more reasons why this movie so hated. The supporting characters couldn't be any more cartoonish. The walking sterotype that was the Asian student with her bad accent and broken English. The bodybuilder guy who only works out half of his body. The film critic, and the list goes on. How can anyone take this movie seriously when such cartoon characters are all over the place and making you laugh for all the wrong reasons? And the weak twist of "well, everyone has a role in the story, we just got the wrong people in the wrong roles". Wow, really not trying there.

As an Asian, I don't find the Asian characters to be offensive...at all. What walking stereotype? When I saw this with my parents, they laughed at that part. They didn't act all serious about it. In fact, I think they were just happy that Asians were in the film in the first place because it's obvious Asians aren't represented in films a whole lot. And I don't get what the stereotype with the bodybuilder guy was. What was so stereotypical about the Mexicans, the Indians, the guy who stayed in the apartment the longest, etc? Also, there is no twist ending. It's called a plot twist. There's a difference and that's the moral of the fairytale story: Nobody is supposed to know who they are.

"Every being have a purpose." How can you guys seriously hate this film with such an uplifting message?" Answer: because that message has been delivered before in movies much better than this one.

Not really. Can you name some? I think the message is very relevant today with all the gay teens committing suicide too.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:17pm

Umm...maybe it was just a coincidence that you saw the commerical a week after you saw the film. Ever think of that? Also, you're not a critic so why would you be pissed off by the fact that he killed off the critic? He needed a character that needed to act snobby and act like they know everything. Other than a film geek, which would anger the entire film community, he stuck with the most relevant choice: A film critic. What could have been a better choice than a know-it-all critic? Honestly, that was the perfect choice. Even Ratatouille portrayed the critic in the worst possible way until the third act.
Wow, you will just pull excuses out of thin air, won't you. There were also many interviews by MNS about how proud he was about making original movies, and sure enough, the film critic character said almost the same thing about there not being many original movies out there. READ BETWEEN THE LINES! That character was just MNS saying "f*** you" to any critics that bad mouthed "The Village", and if you can't see that, well, you're blind, because EVERYONE else saw right through that smoke screen.

But it's not a huge part of the story.
But it's a huge logic flaw. I mean, if a naked woman just showed up in your shower one morning and she goes into this rant about how she is from another world and is here to save ours without any solid proof, are you just going to go along with it, or are you going to call the police for her being a possible drug addict, and breaking and entering your home?

As an Asian, I don't find the Asian characters to be offensive...at all. What walking stereotype? When I saw this with my parents, they laughed at that part. They didn't act all serious about it. In fact, I think they were just happy that Asians were in the film in the first place because it's obvious Asians aren't represented in films a whole lot. And I don't get what the stereotype with the bodybuilder guy was. What was so stereotypical about the Mexicans, the Indians, the guy who stayed in the apartment the longest, etc? Also, there is no twist ending. It's called a plot twist. There's a difference and that's the moral of the fairytale story: Nobody is supposed to know who they are.
Really? You're not at all offended by Asians usually being shown as people who can't learn English if their lives depended on it, or if they do, they speak with this thick accent that can't be understood? I understand it's nice to see people of your ethnicity being in film at all, but being presented in which a negative light doesn't help that ethnicity much. I'm of Italian descent, and I can tell you this: I'm wholly offended by "The Jersey Shore", because now everyone thinks ALL Italians act look those morons, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As for the bodybuilder guy, that was just stupid. He only workouts one side of his body. It's a sight joke, but when you stop to think about it, it's just dumb, illogical, and unhealthy. And the moral of the story? How is that a moral? We're suppose to be clueless of our own identities for all our entire lives? Some moral!
Not really. Can you name some? I think the message is very relevant today with all the gay teens committing suicide too.
Oh gee, "It's A Wonderful Life" ring any bells? Granted, it's dated by today's standards, but it had that "everyone has a reason for being" message decades before "LITW" did. Or how about any movie that has used it's some formula. And I think you're just a guy who is easily sucked by any kind of hidden messages that you THINK are in movies and will blind yourself to the fact that message is watered down if it's hidden within a poor done movie. What's next, are you going to defend "Plan 9 From Outer Space" as a great movie that should be taken seriously just because Ed Wood tried to have an anti-war message within it?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 11:45am

Oh, and BHD wasn't naked enough! Should have gone with a full frontal with her arms blocking the naughty bits.
But if she had been naked the movie would've been R and a meta-referencial scene wouldn't have made sense.

Bryce appears naked in a movie called MANDERLAY.

Also, you're not a critic so why would you be pissed off by the fact that he killed off the critic? He needed a character that needed to act snobby and act like they know everything. Other than a film geek, which would anger the entire film community, he stuck with the most relevant choice: A film critic. What could have been a better choice than a know-it-all critic? Honestly, that was the perfect choice. Even Ratatouille portrayed the critic in the worst possible way until the third act.

It's not that the character was a critic.Is about how he's used.Both FARBER and EGO were stereotypical critics,but EGO changed at the end,while FARBER was shown as a jerk even about to die,and admitting it.And even if all that was cool,there were scenes where Night talked through the characters,rather than they talking by themselves since they should be alive.

As an Asian, I don't find the Asian characters to be offensive...at all. What walking stereotype? When I saw this with my parents, they laughed at that part. They didn't act all serious about it. In fact, I think they were just happy that Asians were in the film in the first place because it's obvious Asians aren't represented in films a whole lot. And I don't get what the stereotype with the bodybuilder guy was. What was so stereotypical about the Mexicans, the Indians, the guy who stayed in the apartment the longest, etc? Also, there is no twist ending. It's called a plot twist.

You're asian?Twist!Jaja,kidding!

It's true.Why would Night,a foreigner,tell people to act that way.Maybe they talk that way in real life?

But it's a huge logic flaw. I mean, if a naked woman just showed up in your shower one morning and she goes into this rant about how she is from another world and is here to save ours without any solid proof, are you just going to go along with it, or are you going to call the police for her being a possible drug addict, and breaking and entering your home?
By that logic BEING "JOHN MALKOVICH" is worse than this.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:41pm

Wow, you will just pull excuses out of thin air, won't you. There were also many interviews by MNS about how proud he was about making original movies, and sure enough, the film critic character said almost the same thing about there not being many original movies out there. READ BETWEEN THE LINES! That character was just MNS saying "f*** you" to any critics that bad mouthed "The Village", and if you can't see that, well, you're blind, because EVERYONE else saw right through that smoke screen.

You're just putting things together like a 9/11 conspiracy. It doesn't hold much water. If the critic character was there to just say something about critics, why does he have a huge part in the story? He mislead the characters into thinking one thing because it's supposed to be cliched and follow the rules.

It's a FANTASY film. As stated earlier, she had an effect on people. I'm sure if Jesus was in your room and you saw him, he would have an effect on you. If you're affected by something miraculous, you cannot use logic to explain it.

Really? You're not at all offended by Asians usually being shown as people who can't learn English if their lives depended on it, or if they do, they speak with this thick accent that can't be understood? I understand it's nice to see people of your ethnicity being in film at all, but being presented in which a negative light doesn't help that ethnicity much. I'm of Italian descent, and I can tell you this: I'm wholly offended by "The Jersey Shore", because now everyone thinks ALL Italians act look those morons, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As for the bodybuilder guy, that was just stupid. He only workouts one side of his body. It's a sight joke, but when you stop to think about it, it's just dumb, illogical, and unhealthy. And the moral of the story? How is that a moral? We're suppose to be clueless of our own identities for all our entire lives? Some moral!

No, I'm not, because it's funny. What's wrong with the fact that she had a thick accent? There are many films that have characters with thick Italian, Spanish, etc. accents. And the characters weren't being presented in a negative light at all. If you want to see an Asian being presented in a negative light, watch Breakfast at Tiffany's. And towards the end of the film, the Asian daughter has a very important and moving line. Something like we need to believe that some fairytales are true. And the moral is in the fairytale story, not the film. Everyone in life don't know their purpose. That's the entire point! One character states in the film that knowing one's purpose is a profound thing.

Oh gee, "It's A Wonderful Life" ring any bells? Granted, it's dated by today's standards, but it had that "everyone has a reason for being" message decades before "LITW" did. Or how about any movie that has used it's some formula. And I think you're just a guy who is easily sucked by any kind of hidden messages that you THINK are in movies and will blind yourself to the fact that message is watered down if it's hidden within a poor done movie. What's next, are you going to defend "Plan 9 From Outer Space" as a great movie that should be taken seriously just because Ed Wood tried to have an anti-war message within it?

How is the message hidden in the film when it's directly, blatantly stated by a character? *sigh*
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Vits

But if she had been naked the movie would've been R and a meta-referencial scene wouldn't have made sense. Bryce appears naked in a movie called MANDERLAY.
There have been plenty of PG-13 movies with mild nudity before. They could still show her from the waist up, so long as her breasts are blocked from view, but that's just my perverted side wishfully thinking.

It's not that the character was a critic.Is about how he's used.Both FARBER and EGO were stereotypical critics,but EGO changed at the end,while FARBER was shown as a jerk even about to die,and admitting it.And even if all that was cool,there were scenes where Night talked through the characters,rather than they talking by themselves since they should be alive.
But if a writer has his characters talking for him, then they are not really characters, just someone for MNS to express his opinions through. Again, that is why the critic character is so flawed, he is just there for MNS to lash out at critics with, going far as killing him off (after the dumb and illogical "if this was a movie" speech). And yet another clue that MNS was just patting himself on the back by having the character he played be the most important.

It's true.Why would Night,a foreigner,tell people to act that way.Maybe they talk that way in real life?
Bad comedy, or at least what MNS thinks is comedy. Another sterotype would be the token Hispanic family, made up of like a half-dozen children, another common sterotype in movies, the large Latin family to provide for because the parents never stopped pro-creating.

By that logic BEING "JOHN MALKOVICH" is worse than this.
Please! That movie falls apart the minute you try to apply logic to ANYTHING that happens in it! That was one of those movies where critics were like "This movie makes no damn sense, but it's an original idea, so let's call one of the best movies of the year and the average, dumb movie goer won't be able to figure out why!".
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:14pm

But if a writer has his characters talking for him, then they are not really characters, just someone for MNS to express his opinions through. Again, that is why the critic character is so flawed, he is just there for MNS to lash out at critics with, going far as killing him off (after the dumb and illogical "if this was a movie" speech). And yet another clue that MNS was just patting himself on the back by having the character he played be the most important.
In case you haven't noticed,I'm agreeing with you.

Please! That movie falls apart the minute you try to apply logic to ANYTHING that happens in it! That was one of those movies where critics were like "This movie makes no damn sense, but it's an original idea, so let's call one of the best movies of the year and the average, dumb movie goer won't be able to figure out why!".
You know,you constantly bash users when they admit liking a bad movie.Yet I could make a list of good movies you didn't like,but I never throw it in your face.Should I?Should I say something like "Why trust someone who didn't like BEING "JOHN MALKOVICH""?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Vits

You know,you constantly bash users when they admit liking a bad movie.Yet I could make a list of good movies you didn't like,but I never throw it in your face.Should I?Should I say something like "Why trust someone who didn't like BEING "JOHN MALKOVICH""?
Hey, saturnwatcher is always bashing popular movies, but I think he's the best judge of movies that we have posting in this forum. I mean, was it you or MWG that was seriously questioning why I hated "Once"?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 6:06pm
That's different,because I also hated ONCE.But I loved MALKOVICH.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:22pm

Hey, saturnwatcher is always bashing popular movies, but I think he's the best judge of movies that we have posting in this forum. I mean, was it you or MWG that was seriously questioning why I hated "Once"?

Being John Malkovich is a terrific film. Do you know how Charlie Kaufman's work? Putting logic into his films should never be allowed.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 10:28pm

Being John Malkovich is a terrific film. Do you know how Charlie Kaufman's work? Putting logic into his films should never be allowed.
Yeah, so I have noticed. His writing style is throw together whatever crazy idea first comes to mind, logic be damned!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 7:06am
So I'm guessing you also hate any fantasy movie?Or any surreal movie too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>