Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?
    Posted: November 13 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Vits

So I'm guessing you also hate any fantasy movie?Or any surreal movie too?
Mind you, fantasy movies are usually within the realm of magic, so logic can be put aside for them since magic can't be put into logical terms. As for surreal movies, all I can say is if I can't explain what the hell I just watched after I saw it, the movie failed and was TOO surreal.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 8:08am
That's fair.I've hated 90% of the surreal movies I've watched.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:41am

That's fair.I've hated 90% of the surreal movies I've watched.
I mean, if you want a dream sequence in the movie, fine. But when the entire movie doesn't make any damn sense because it's like one long dream sequence, forget it!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 4:53pm
I know,right?And the worst part is every time I complain about that with other movie goers I know they call me an ignorant who knows sh*t about what art really is.

I don't hate surrealism for not making sense,but because they're all visuals.Film is an extension of theatre,which is more about the script than visuals.Film is a balance of both things,and by having a movie with no real script...Name one surrealist movie where the director and writer weren't the same person.

The 10% surreal movies I've liked include PERSONA and SANTA SANGRE(I love that one).

The worst short film I've seen is the first thing Orson Welles did:THE HEARTS OF AGE.Why?It's literally random images pasted together,and I don't even care if there's a meaning.It's an insult to screenwriting.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:44pm
"If Lady in the Water had been made by an obscure East European director, reviewers might have praised it as magical realism" -- David Bordwell

I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. The same can be said for Chris Nolan. Inception is a very flawed film, has some of the exact same problems like The Last Airbender (exposition-filled dialogue and underdeveloped characters), yet it's praised. Before, a lot of people seem to hate "It's all a dream" type of endings but once Nolan does it, it's the best ending ever made? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. The same can be said for Chris Nolan. Inception is a very flawed film, has some of the exact same problems like The Last Airbender (exposition-filled dialogue and underdeveloped characters), yet it's praised. Before, a lot of people seem to hate "It's all a dream" type of endings but once Nolan does it, it's the best ending ever made? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
No, we are not kidding you. In the hands of ANY director, "LITW" would suck with the script that it had. "Inception" had subtext with deeping meaning. "LITW" was M. Nut patting himself on the back, and as usual you like to THINK there was deeper meaning to it because you want it to. Yes, "Inception" is not a flawless movie, but it wipes it's ass with "Last Airbender" which failed on EVERY level. Oh, and the dialogue in "Inception" was snappy and smart at many times (as Nolan's writing usually is), so I have no clue what you're talking about. Read the Movie Preview Critic's review for it and you MIGHT learn something instead of wasting your time hoping and wishing that M. Nut will get his mojo back.

PS: It's never really confirmed at the end of "Inception" if it was all a dream or not, it's up to the audience to choose.

PPS: Yes, I know posting a single review in order to change someone's mind about a certain movie is one of your old tricks, but this review is one of the most detailed, smart, well written, history based, and unbias reviews out there, rather than the usual type of "this movie will replace "Citizen Kane" on the AFI's Top 100 Film List someday" reviews that you post.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 8:19am
Once again you're both wrong,because you can't compare those 2 Shyamalan movies,which are fantasy,with a science fiction movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 9:35am

Once again you're both wrong,because you can't compare those 2 Shyamalan movies,which are fantasy,with a science fiction movie.
Sure you could. Although I'm more comparing the talents of two directors. Nolan, who has plenty of talent to spare, and M. Nut, who HAD talent, but it seems to have all but disappeared. Case in point, Nolan knows how to film action, M. Nut doesn't, as proven by "Fart Bender". Nolan knows how to write a good screenplay, M. Nut has forgotten, again as proven by "Fart Bender", etc.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 3:06pm
Comparing those two guys is possible since they're boh filmmakers.But fantasy and science fiction are two different things.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Case in point, Nolan knows how to film action, M. Nut doesn't, as proven by "Fart Bender". Nolan knows how to write a good screenplay, M. Nut has forgotten, again as proven by "Fart Bender", etc.

Are you sure we have seen the same movie? Fact: Nolan cannot direct a good action scene to save his life. What was there in Inception that was so good? "You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling" *small gunshot and the shooters disappear* That's not good action. It's no where near as sophisticated as most modern action movies have gone. The car chase in Batman Begins was also very standard. At least the action scenes in TLA was different and visually appealing.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Are you sure we have seen the same movie? Fact: Nolan cannot direct a good action scene to save his life.
Hello, McFly, are you there? No gravity hallway fight in "Inception" ring any bells? Or truck doing a handstand in "Dark Knight"? Oh, and both were done without the use of CGI, unlike the fights in "Fart Bender"! How easily we forget things when trying to make a point that isn't true. Meanwhile, we have "Fart Bender" in which every fight scene is in super slow motion to the point even the Matrix Brothers would be like "Okay, it got old the 5th time you did it!".

How about some other facts? Nolan hasn't made a movie that got a single digit rating at RT. Nolan hasn't made a bad "B movie" on purpose that failed anyway. Nolan hasn't soured on the critics to the point they rip his movies apart just because he's attached to the project. Nolan isn't an ego-centric headcase who casts himself as the most important character of the movie. Nolan hasn't made twist endings the trademark of EVERY single movie he has done to the point people no longer care about the rest of the movie. Nolan still knows how to write good screenplays. Nolan made the third highest grossing movie of all time. The sight of Nolan's name doesn't cause audiences to groan, laugh, or boo. Oh, and Nolan hasn't won TWO Razzies, and isn't up for serious contendership to win many more!

You still want to bring your knife (M. Nut) to this gun fight?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 3:14am

Nolan hasn't made twist endings the trademark of EVERY single movie he has done to the point people no longer care about the rest of the movie. Nolan still knows how to write good screenplays. Nolan made the third highest grossing movie of all time.
1)The only movie without a twist ending is "BATMAN" BEGINS.
2)It's the 7th actually.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 7:12am

Hello, McFly, are you there? No gravity hallway fight in "Inception" ring any bells? Or truck doing a handstand in "Dark Knight"? Oh, and both were done without the use of CGI, unlike the fights in "Fart Bender"!

Those two things you described were also very pedestrian. You could easily tell they had a hard time shooting the anti-gravity/hallway fight scene. Also, saying that TLA using CGI is a bad thing is pretty dumb. How the hell can you do that with practical effects? Oh, wait, you can't.

How easily we forget things when trying to make a point that isn't true. Meanwhile, we have "Fart Bender" in which every fight scene is in super slow motion to the point even the Matrix Brothers would be like "Okay, it got old the 5th time you did it!".

Most were all in one shot. Smile

Nolan hasn't made twist endings the trademark of EVERY single movie he has done to the point people no longer care about the rest of the movie.

He has made twist endings to a lot of his films and more than half of the films MNS made had no twist endings so I don't know what you're trying to do here.

You still want to bring your knife (M. Nut) to this gun fight?

Ummm....no?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:52am

Nolan hasn't made twist endings the trademark of EVERY single movie he has done to the point people no longer care about the rest of the movie. Nolan still knows how to write good screenplays. Nolan made the third highest grossing movie of all time.
1)The only movie without a twist ending is "BATMAN" BEGINS.
2)It's the 7th actually.
1). "Dark Knight" didn't have a twist. Nor did "Insomnia".
2). Once again, I'm going by USA gross only, not worldwide.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:59am
"Those two things you described were also very pedestrian."

Ah, try very original, and bringing movies back to the classic ways they were made. Not to mention these scenes will no doubt become iconic in the years to come. No one will remember "Fart Bender" or "LITW" ten years from now.

"Most were all in one shot."

And it was the worst damn shot of the whole movie, although considering how badly the movie sucks, that's saying alot.

"He has made twist endings to a lot of his films and more than half of the films MNS made had no twist endings so I don't know what you're trying to do here."

Oh, deny, deny, deny. Shall I count the ways?

1. "Sixth Sense", Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.
2. "Unbreakable", Samuel L. Jackson caused all the accidents.
3. "Signs", everything that happened to the family happen just to fight off the aliens.
4. "Village", it's actually a modern day closed off community.
5. "LITW", they got all the roles of the story wrong.
6. "Happening", it's all the trees' doing!

Although not all "endings", still twists. Yeah, Nolan has his own, but they are part of the storytelling, not the main selling point or trademark.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 11:36am

You know, I read over some of moviewizguy’s comments and posts, and I think I figured his taste in movies out. Based on what I have read, MWG is one of those sensitive, in touch with his emotions kind of guys who loves a movie with tear-jerking, lump in the throat moments. And of course, M. Night has provided him with several movies fitting that description. But this hatred for Chris Nolan, what is that all about? I know what it is: jealousy and bitterness.

See, ten years ago, M. Night was on top of the world, making the Oscar worthy blockbuster, “Sixth Sense”. He was the golden boy, the next big thing, and nothing was going to stop him. A year or two later, along comes Nolan with the Oscar worthy art house masterpiece, “Memento”. Granted, M. Night had nothing to fear at the time because he was more the Hollywood guy while Nolan was more the indie guy.

Years passed and both writer/directors kept making movies, but then there was the turning point. M. Night fell on hard times with the back to back turkeys of the underperforming “Village” and the Razzie winning “Lady In The Water”, while Nolan’s career took off with “Batman Begins”. Just a mild setback for M. Night? NO! He followed up his two failures with his so-called “B Movie” and Razzie nominee “Happening” and then followed that up with the critically ravaged “Last Air Bender”. Meanwhile, Nolan had two back to back critical and commercial hits with “Dark Knight” and “Inception”. Oh yes, it was safe to say that M. Night’s reign as the golden boy came to an end and Nolan had taken the crown.

But why is MWG so bitter? Well, M. Night and Nolan are polar opposites, as different as day and night (no pun intended). M. Night, as I stated above, is all about the lump in the throat moments that MWG loves so dearly, with the moral or message that everything in life will turn out okay. Not so with Nolan, a man who some may claim is too intellectual for his own good. His movies tell the gloomy truth that life isn’t perfect or fair, and sometimes, there are no happy endings. Clearly MWG is attached to M. Night and considers his movies to speak directly to him. M. Night was the man of the hour, and MWG was one of his backers. But that’s not the case anymore. M. Night has fallen from grace, very, very far. And now Nolan is the new King. MWG, he’s just jealous of the success of the man who is the polar opposite of his hero, a man who is still respected by critics and audiences alike, while his hero is mocked at every turn.

So try as he might to discredit Nolan’s movies, the sad fact is MWG is talking to a brick wall. No one (ourside Vits, of course) will agree with him that M. Night still has talent left, that he’s not an egomaniac, or that his career will rise from the ashes. It’s too late now; too many bridges have been burned. Frankly, it’s rather sad that MWG can’t come to grip with the sad reality that he is of an ever shrinking minority who still thinks M. Night is a good filmmaker. And one can only imagine how further bitter he will become if (or when) “Last Air Bender” wins a good handful of Razzies next year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>