Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Truly DRIPPY "Thriller" ? ?
    Posted: November 21 2010 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Vits

Read the whole sentence!I wasn't talking about your thoughts on Shyamalan,but about your thoughts on MALKOVICH.
I don't care what your stance is on "BJM". My whole point is not wasting time going to "BJM" fan forums on a monthly basis and ranting about how I don't care for the movie or trying to convince the other members that they are wrong for liking the movie. However, MWG refuses to follow that example with his postings about his M. Night obsessions.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

I don't care what your stance is on "BJM". My whole point is not wasting time going to "BJM" fan forums on a monthly basis and ranting about how I don't care for the movie or trying to convince the other members that they are wrong for liking the movie. However, MWG refuses to follow that example with his postings about his M. Night obsessions.

Ummm...I was  never trying to change your opinion on LitW. I was merely pointing out the flaws of peoples' reasons for not liking the film: Two completely different things. I don't expect you to know that, though. Also, for that whole stereotype argument you had for the film, it's ok for Ken Watanabe to talk in an Asian accent in Inception even more incoherent than the character in LitW yet it's racist when it's done in an MNS film? Yeah, that's my entire point. Tongue
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Ummm...I was  never trying to change your opinion on LitW. I was merely pointing out the flaws of peoples' reasons for not liking the film: Two completely different things. I don't expect you to know that, though. Also, for that whole stereotype argument you had for the film, it's ok for Ken Watanabe to talk in an Asian accent in Inception even more incoherent than the character in LitW yet it's racist when it's done in an MNS film? Yeah, that's my entire point.
Well, you do have a point there ... oh no, wait, you don't! Because Ken Watanabe was born in and raised for most of his life in Japan, and as a result, English is not his first language. So it would be natural for him to speak in the manner that he does (as you can tell from oh, EVERY English speaking role he does), where as the actress in "LITW" was clearly doing a fake accent and a really bad, over the top one at that. OOPS, sorry, but thanks for playing!

Game show host jokes aside, I can understand why Nolan had to cast Watanabe in this role. 1. Nolan does repeat casting in most of his movies (Michael Caine any one?). 2. I highly doubt that Warner Bros. would be willing to let Nolan cast just any Japanese actor in to a major supporting role in a major motion picture, it had to be someone that American movie goers knew and has had great work on his resume (say like being an Oscar nominated actor and starring in three Oscar nominated movies), so Watanabe fit the bill. Yes, his accent and speech patterns were hard to understand at times, but they were by no means intended to be racist in nature. The same CAN NOT be said about the Asian girl in "LITW". Need proof? Watch Mickey Roony in "Breaskfast At Tiffany's", whose role is universally considered the most racist portrayal of an Asian character in the history of Hollywood movie making. He sounded just like the girl in "LITW" did. The only difference between the two roles, at least "LITW" bothered to hire a person of actual Asian descent.

And there's no flaw in hating the movie because it's all about M. Night writing a love letter to himself. The subtext is not "no one really knows their role in life is" or "everyone has a reason for being", it's clearly "I'm M. Night f***ing Shyamalan, the greatest thing to happen to motion pictures in the past decade! Any critic who disagrees with me is a douche and should die, my writing will make me immortal, and I can make a movie based on bedtime stories I tell my kids because I am that damn good!".  But to you, denial ("Da Nile") is just a river in Egypt.

And the FACTS still rest, he won 2 Razzies for that movie, this movie was a critical failure and is all but forgotten now, it damaged his public image, and was the beginning of the downward spiral that his career is now in.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 6:48pm

Well, you do have a point there ... oh no, wait, you don't! Because Ken Watanabe was born in and raised for most of his life in Japan, and as a result, English is not his first language. So it would be natural for him to speak in the manner that he does (as you can tell from oh, EVERY English speaking role he does), where as the actress in "LITW" was clearly doing a fake accent and a really bad, over the top one at that. OOPS, sorry, but thanks for playing!

You really shouldn't say things like that. You don't even know the two yet you're trying to present a case as if you know how those two actors speak in real life when all you're doing is assuming.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 7:55pm

You really shouldn't say things like that. You don't even know the two yet you're trying to present a case as if you know how those two actors speak in real life when all you're doing is assuming.
Okay, watch any and all movies where Ken is speaking English. He sounds the same in everyone. Why? Because that's how he talks. Now, I don't know of anything else the Asian girl from "LITW" starred in, but I highly doubt that she would be getting steady work here in America if that painful accent was her real voice. But if it is, she is going to have a VERY limited amount of roles. Her bio says she was born in California back in 1970, so she doesn't have an excuse about that accent unless that is what directors ask of her and she wants jobs so badly, she stopped caring about how she comes across.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 7:56pm
I've seen quite a number of interviews with Ken Watanabe. He speaks English very well, but with an accent typical of people who's native language is Japanese. My guess is that Burn has probably similarly seen interviews with Mr. Watanabe. So either Mr. Watanabe is putting us all on for no reason whatsoever, or he has an accent.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I've seen quite a number of interviews with Ken Watanabe. He speaks English very well, but with an accent typical of people who's native language is Japanese. My guess is that Burn has probably similarly seen interviews with Mr. Watanabe. So either Mr. Watanabe is putting us all on for no reason whatsoever, or he has an accent.
Exactly, hence, Ken's accent can't be used as an example of a double standard, because that's how the man talks.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 1:23pm

Okay, watch any and all movies where Ken is speaking English. He sounds the same in everyone. Why? Because that's how he talks. Now, I don't know of anything else the Asian girl from "LITW" starred in, but I highly doubt that she would be getting steady work here in America if that painful accent was her real voice. But if it is, she is going to have a VERY limited amount of roles. Her bio says she was born in California back in 1970, so she doesn't have an excuse about that accent unless that is what directors ask of her and she wants jobs so badly, she stopped caring about how she comes across.

I stand corrected. I've seen other clips of the actress and she speaks perfectly fine but I don't think it's stereotypical the way she talked in LitW. She played a character who was fresh off the boat and there are many scenes where she doesn't talk in a whiny voice that you make it out to be, especially the latter half of the film when things are at stake.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 5:14pm

I stand corrected. I've seen other clips of the actress and she speaks perfectly fine but I don't think it's stereotypical the way she talked in LitW. She played a character who was fresh off the boat and there are many scenes where she doesn't talk in a whiny voice that you make it out to be, especially the latter half of the film when things are at stake.
Well thank you for admitting that. Problem is that her accent in the movie is so over the top that it's laugh out loud funny and it makes it very hard to take the character seriously, especially when she's meant to say something of dramatic value. I mean when she said "It's time to prove to some fairy tales are real", I was cracking up, not only because of her accent but because that was such a f***ing stupid line. There's another plothole, everyone in the hotel fully accepts that they are living in the middle of a bedtime story ... oh and there's a character named Story, too. Yeah, this truly was the beginning of the end for M. Night.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 5:43pm

There's another plothole, everyone in the hotel fully accepts that they are living in the middle of a bedtime story.
You know I try my best to admit when you're right...but when you say things like that...I mean,it's a fantasy movie!
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Vits

There's another plothole, everyone in the hotel fully accepts that they are living in the middle of a bedtime story.
You know I try my best to admit when you're right...but when you say things like that...I mean,it's a fantasy movie!
I understand that, but even fantasy movies have their limits as to when we can't believe in them any more, and being self-aware of themseleves is one of those limits. Would anyone take any of the "Lord of the Rings" movies seriously if all of a sudden some character told everyone that they are in the middle of a fairy tale ... and everyone belived him!? "We have to get rid of the One Ring, not because the fate of Middle Earth depends on it, but because that's what happens in the novels and we must go along with whatever was written in them!".

See, that's when the movie starts to become a parody, and that's where "LITW" nuked the fridge, so to speak. I can accept creatures from another world visiting our planet, I have no problem with that. But normal, everyday people accepting that they are not living in the real world, they are all part of some bedtime story (or in the critic's case, a movie) that is being played out, AND, they believe this because some naked girl in a shower tells them so ... that's where I draw a line, as did many critics and audience members, too.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 8:31pm
Time to review the movie that sunk M. Night Shyamalan's career. The Village weakened his career, but this film blew it sky high.

About the only thing I like about this film is Bob Babalon's scenes. He's fun as a swarmy film critic. The only scene of his that's not entertaining is his death scene and Babalon had nothing to do with the reason for that scene's badness.

Right at the start, the film stumbles. We're first shown an opening narration that's inane and features hilariously child-like art-work. Paul Giamatti gives an uncharacteristically bad performance as Cleveland Heep, a building super with a dumn name. He finds Story (played by Bryce Dallas Howard) in his pool one night and takes her in. One thing that bothered me is that no one noticed the weird designs at the bottom of the pool before. There's no mention of it being any different than usual, so one most assume that the bottom always looked like that.

Cindy Cheung gives a horrific performance as Young-Soon Choi. Her character is annoying, especially since Cheung uses an absolutely terrible Charlie Chan-like accent. Now comes the part that everyone reading this has been anticipating: the part where I lay into M. Night Shyamalan and his ego. Shyamalan's large supporting role in the film is one of the worst performances by a director of all time. Much like Tarantino, he has no talent in from of the camera. Unlike Tarantino, he has no talent behind the camera too. Making matters worse, Shyamalan's character is said to write a book that inspires a great world leader. Manoj thinks that his writing will inspire great people, but instead, they insire very negative reviews. A review of Lady In The Water isn't complete without pointing out his thin-skin over The Village's bad reviews. The fact that he has the film critic brutally killed shows how petty M. Night is. It makes Mayor Ebert from Deanzilla look like a respectful portrayel.

The Village sucked, but it's not as bad as most people say. Grade: F

Next-up: Last Action Hero!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789