Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE LAST AIR-BENDER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A Typcal pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote softhairysexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Typcal pattern
    Posted: February 26 2011 at 11:33pm
The sad story of M. Night Shalayaman or whatever the name is follows a familiar pattern for those in the know.  Before I say this, I must say that I have no information to substantiate this, other than what my father observed working for Francis Ford Coppola at his early 1980'a Zoetrope studios in the actual city of Hollywood.  

M Knight had three films that cemented him as brilliant in the minds of Hollywood, it's producers, and money men - The over rated Sixth Sense - Unbreakable, and in my opinion, a masterpiece, Signs.  Between the three, I think he grossed about $700,000,000 worldwide, making undoubtedly a very rich man.

Then suddenly he started coming out with failure after failure - the Villiage, Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender, and the rest.  Using his past successes, he could get all the money he wanted from the executive producers, who expected results and big profits again.  But they got zilch.  A movie has to take in three times it's cost to break even or did when my father was head of publicity, advertising, and public relations for Warner Brothers, so if Last Airbender cost $140,000,000 to make and took in $300,000,000 world wide, it lost everything.  

The difference, I believe, and I have absolutely no evidence to support this other than knowing the industry and it's people which I grew up in and with, has probably been something that comes from Peru and Columbia.  It gives you big, grandiose, and twisted, looser ideas, that lead only to heaps of money tossed down the toilet from people who trust you from your past record.  Remember, I have no knowledge to support this, but the pattern is there.

When my dad was later working for Coppola, he was doing stuff from 8AM until closing, mostly green, but Peru too, and produced one total grandiose thinking looser after another.  My father even raised $3,000,000 for one of them, that was lost.  Then MY MOTHER diagnosed him as manic depressive, or bipolar, which many creative geniuses are, he got on Lithium, and his life normalized out.  Next came Bram Stokers Dracula, a huge money maker, and huge winery profits and a great life, marred only by the loss of one of his two sons in a horrible accident.

I hope I am wrong about M Night.  He seemed like a great guy and if that BIG BITCH WHORE took a bunch of his fortune and his magic away, it would be real real sad. Cry

Son of WB Publicity Chief
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 3:35am
Have you ever thought of writing a book on your fathers life as a hollywood publicist. After reading what you just typed down, i can garantee you that i would probably buy that book.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 7:52am
First of all, softhairysexy, welcome to the board. I think your analysis is pretty interesting and generally correct. I personally regard The Sixth Sense as one of the most wildly overrated films of the past decade and a half, and to call Signs a masterpiece goes overboard. It was an okay sci-fi movie, not a great one by any means. I suspect M. Night's early films got a lot more attention on the basis of originality than real substance, and his later films bear that out strongly. Even the more highly praised early films don't withstand close scrutiny, and aren't passing the test of time. 
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 9:19am
Great first post, softhairysexy. Very honest and well-informed. Although, like saturnwatcher said, calling "Signs" a masterpiece is kinda overreaching, say when compared to the likes of the original "Day The Earth Stood Still", the original "War of the Worlds", or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Great first post, softhairysexy. Very honest and well-informed. Although, like saturnwatcher said, calling "Signs" a masterpiece is kinda overreaching, say when compared to the likes of the original "Day The Earth Stood Still", the original "War of the Worlds", or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".
Don't forget Invasion of the Body Snatcher, the original and the 1979 remake, as far as comparisons are concerned.
Pictures move, do they?
 Post Reply Post Reply