Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > DRAGON WARS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

a.k.a. GODZILLA GOES DIGITAL...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a.k.a. GODZILLA GOES DIGITAL...
    Posted: September 09 2007 at 6:22am

IT's BEEN a WHILE SINCE WE'VE SEEN a TRAILER as PROMISINGLY CHEEZY AS the ONE for THIS: MEDIOCRE CGI DRAGONS ATTACKING a MAJOR CITY...MINOR AMERICAN ACTORS BILLED as INTERNATIONAL STARS...and a KOREAN-FOLKLORE/MUMBO-JUMBO PLOT THAT SOUNDS AS SILLY AS ANYTHING GODZILLA, MOTHRA or THE SMOG MONSTER EVER APPEARED IN...

BET YOU CAN'T WAIT to SEE IT!

"LOOK! GODZILLA! Oh, sorry, it's a 21st Century Hokey Dragon-Beast!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 6:43am
Could this be "Snakes On a Plane" for 2007?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 8:42am

This looks like one of the most entertaining movies of this year because the trailer looks incredibly cheesy! I'm all for a monster movie! So I am gonna see this...but on DVD! 

Response from Head RAZZberry: And if DRAGON WARS is as good as it looks, it oughta be on DVD by October 1st... 

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 10:53am
At least Snakes on a Plane was enjoyable. It may have been a cheesy movie, but director David R. Ellis piled on plenty of shocking moments and a sense of dread. And compared to today's flock of godawful horror films that prefer piling on the gore (The Hills Have Eyes) to providing genuine scares, at least SoaP wanted its cake and ate it, too. Dragon Wars is nothing more than a bottom-feeding Transformers wannabe (i.e. a disaster film about humans and otherworldly creatures) that is, well...stupid. And Jason Behr (Skinwalkers) is in it. Need I say more?
You think you know, but you have no idea.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 11:44am

But D-Wars was released before Transformers worldwide (though not the US)... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Are you sure about that?  I visited the B.O. MoJo page for DRAGON WARS, and it listed NOTHING for international box office... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 1:31pm
I was thinking that this could, also, be 2007's "Feast". "Feast" was the anti-"Snakes On A Plane": it was neither scary nor funny.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 12:32pm
Feast was much better than Snakes on a Plane. Feast was a little bit scary but it was more funny. Snakes on a Plane was funny, too, but it wasn't scary...because it's not a horror movie. See, Feast was like Slither: Both seemed to be on the same level, but the thing that bothered me the most about Feast was the lighting! It was so dark! Five people died in ten minutes, and you couldn't see a thing!
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 6:37am
This is awesome!!! I have not seen a good Japanese Monster Movie since the days I was a kid growing up in the San Fernando Valley watching them on KT LA with Tom Hatten. With CGI  and today's special effects you get the realism that was meant before all the hokeyness of a 6ft guy in a rubber suit stepping on Hot wheel cars and Fisher Price cities. You just don't get the cheese now as you did bad back then, However as some else mentioned I will wait for it to come to DVD. I'll buy my Cheesiness cheap and not imported!
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ZookGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZookGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 7:50am
This looks funnier than Battlefield Earth...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 5:56am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Feast was much better than Snakes on a Plane. Feast was a little bit scary but it was more funny. Snakes on a Plane was funny, too, but it wasn't scary...because it's not a horror movie. See, Feast was like Slither: Both seemed to be on the same level, but the thing that bothered me the most about Feast was the lighting! It was so dark! Five people died in ten minutes, and you couldn't see a thing!
                                                          The only thing funny about "Feast" was the two monsters ing on the car. Also, "Slither" was overrated. The only intentionally funny part was the politician saying  in front of the kids. I did laugh at some points that weren't supposed to be funny, like the monsters. They looked more Courtney Love than beings from outer space.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 6:20am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

But D-Wars was released before Transformers worldwide (though not the US)... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Are you sure about that?  I visited the B.O. MoJo page for DRAGON WARS, and it listed NOTHING for international box office... 

I hate to say this RAZZ but it looks like our defender of the "Intolerable to Mediocre Cinema was right" , Believe it or not the Turkey...Ooops meant Dragon Wars...has already garnered close to $55 million internationally according to BOX Office MOJO, I guess I'm not the only one out there who likes there cheese with their Cinema.

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 7:34pm

If you're gonna make a bad movie, please make it like this!  I haven't had so much fun watching a bad movie since back when I was a kid.  My family watched the Japanese monster movies every Sunday afternoon.  And like ITBeast already said, the main difference between Dragon Wars and those movies are the sets and the monsters.  It's cool watching a gigantic serpent slither down a Los Angeles street during a traffic jam, smashing and exploding all the cars as it goes.  It's great seeing the serpent slither up the US Bank Tower (called the Liberty Tower in the movie) and fight several Apache helicopters.  It's great watching our military and the police fight an overwhelming assault by legendary creatures. 

And it's great seeing our damsel in distress leave a bar called "Razz Berriez". . . .

Let's make no mistake; this is a bad movie.  You could tell when, in the opening scene, you are taken to a construction zone with a few mashed up cars set a little bit on fire set on a huge mound of dirt, and there's a whole bunch of people milling around acting like something horrible happened there.  Yeah, something horrible happened there.  They didn't have the production budget to create a good post-disaster scene. . . .

There are other things I wonder about.  For example, what's Jar Jar Binks' army doing fighting for the evil Emperor? . . . 

Why, if Jack knows the legendary army is hidden in writings awaiting for the right moment, why didn't he destroy the writings as he collected them throughout the ages? . . .

And speaking of "throughout the ages", why are we subjected, in the first twenty minutes of the movie, to a very long flashback, that then takes us back to when this whole thing started, and then back to the flashback, and then we're finally back in real time?

Why does Mr. Ugly Dude, after he captures the reporter who is the legendary protector of the legendary woman, not kill the protector, or at least take away the pretty farking amazing amulet (to be referred to hereafter as the PFAA)? . . .

And speaking of Mr. Ugly Dude, why is it assumed that if there is an evil monster looking for something it needs to bring the end of the world, that all these humans, like Mr. Ugly Dude, will do the Cthulhu and help it along?  Hey, let's all get ourselves killed!  Doesn't that sound like fun? . . .

Yet, despite all this and much more, I enjoyed myself immensely.  I truly wish that all bad movies were like this one.  It was a pleasure!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 1:49am

^^That's why I'd want to watch the movie.

Response from Head RAZZberry: While my 11-year-old son and I did have a good time RAZZing this film while watching it at a local multiplex, I must admit it wasn't quite as often laugh-out-loud funny as I had hoped it would be. If you've got Netflix, it's definitely worth a rental. But after paying $17 for 2 tickets to see it (and watching the entire movie with a human hair dancing in the projector's lens!*) I can't whole-heartedly endorse this as worth paying first-run prices to see in a theatre... 

* Guess which major movie chain owned the theatre where I saw it...

MovieDad View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote MovieDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 6:58am

moviewizguy and Head RAZZberry:

I don't think there's much danger of many more people paying first-run prices to see it.  Our whole family saw it last weekend.  I'm used to matinee showings being a little empty, but we were the only four people in the audience for that showing.

I agree that this one is worth renting.  The action was fun.  The CGI was better than I expected, even on a big screen.  It's been a long time since I've seen a cast of unknown actors do a good enough job that I could honestly blame the script!

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 1:07pm
I saw this today. Talk about crap. A candidate for Worst Film of the Year. Until now, it looked like "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" was a clear-cut "loser". (Since when did the Sci-Fi Channel start to release its films theatrically)

I guess to add insult to injury is the fact this guy's thinking about helming a sequel to this peice of junk.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 4:31pm
He wouldn't be the first to do so...

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply