Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices > TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

a.k.a. I Was a Teen-Aged Were-Hunk...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a.k.a. I Was a Teen-Aged Were-Hunk...
    Posted: November 21 2009 at 2:33am
In other (less big) breaking news: A.O. Scott and Michael Philips both just gave NEW MOON two "See Its" on At the Movies
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 3:19am

BIGGER BREAKING NEWS!

New Moon breaks The Dark Knight's opening day record held at $67.1 million! It opened with $71 million!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61085 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 4:03am
That's not breaking news, that's just depressing news.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 3:37pm
It is beginning to occur to me that I am working WAY too hard for my money when people will evidently hand it over to you for nothing more in return than the privilege of having their intelligence brutally insulted.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 2:33am

Yes, I do love all these reports about how people can't get jobs and are losing their homes, so what do the people do ... pay money to see a teenage girl choose between a vampire or a werewolf as her boyfriend!?!? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While unemployment in the U.S. right now is as high as it's been at any time in the last quarter century, I somehow doubt it's the unemployed (or those facing foreclosure of their homes) who are flocking to see "hit" movies like 2012 or NEW MOON. At least, I hope it's not! Faced with a choice between feeding one's family or treating them to either of these movies, I choose to believe the 10+ percent of our populace who are in dire straits would opt for necessities rather than distractions...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 4:22am

Here's a less depressing perspective: Most of the first weekend total for New Moon was from its opening day ($72 million of the $140m, to be exact).

Hopefully New Moon will meet the same fate as Watchmen, where the die-hard fans of the book saw it opening weekend, and the
uninitiated just shrugged it off. 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 11:47am
I have to agree with Head Razz's assessment above about the affluence of those who are going to movies these days. In the massive lines I saw for this movie Friday night, there was not one person holding a sign saying "I will sit through this crappy movie for food."
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 2:42am
Originally posted by movieman

Hopefully New Moon will meet the same fate as Watchmen, where the die-hard fans of the book saw it opening weekend, and the uninitiated just shrugged it off. 

Or worse, it could pull a "Transformers 2" and make $400 in just two months. I don't see any movie being able to stop it, at least until "Avatar" comes out...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 2:49am

Not to worry, HeadRazz, my joke was just piggyback-riding on saturnwatcher's comment about people wasting their hard-earned money on crap like this. I highly doubt unemployed people are spending their last few dollars to see this movie. However, as saturnwatcher joked, these people could also be the same ones who voted for George W. Bush ... twice. 

Originally posted by Michaels

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While unemployment in the U.S. right now is as high as it's been at any time in the last quarter century, I somehow doubt it's the unemployed (or those facing foreclosure of their homes) who are flocking to see "hit" movies like 2012 or NEW MOON. At least, I hope it's not! Faced with a choice between feeding one's family or treating them to either of these movies, I choose to believe the 10+ percent of our populace who are in dire straits would opt for necessities rather than distractions...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 10:12am
After Bella recovers from the vampire attack that almost claimed her life, she looks to celebrate her birthday with Edward and his family. However, a minor accident during the festivities results in Bella's blood being shed, a sight that proves too intense for the Cullens, who decide to leave the town of Forks, Washington for Bella and Edward's sake. Initially heartbroken, Bella finds a form of comfort in reckless living, as well as an even-closer friendship with Jacob Black. Danger in different forms awaits.

I have to admit it. I enjoyed the first film, TWILIGHT, very much so. I'm a sentimental guy so I was swept away easily by the romance between Edward and Bella. To make it clear for anyone of you out there, the TWILIGHT series are not vampire movies. Instead, think of them as a ROMEO AND JULIET story WITH vampires. Some people like these kinds of things. Others don't. I'll try to refrain from saying only teenage girls would love this movie because when I went to see this movie, there were people between the ages of 2 months and 65 years old, half split with males and females. I guess the stereotype wasn't true after all.

You can automatically feel a huge difference between this and the first film. This film is definitely much more slower paced. While never boring, it's quite a drag since it's over two hours long. Although it starts off slow, the ball does get rolling after Edward leaves Bella by herself. Unfortunately, it's also much more moodier, but I guess teen relationships are like that, aren't they? On top of that, the story isn't really all that interesting. After all, it's mostly about Bella being depressed when Edward leaves her. The finale seemed a bit rushed too with little payoff.

However, all is not bad. Director Chris Weitz does a much better job in here than Catherine Hardwicke, giving the film a distinctive look in the title sequence alone. If you may remember, I complained that the first film had too low of a budget to make it look like a blockbuster like it is. However, the problem is quickly fixed since the budget is twice as large as the first, which helped make the film look less like a CW TV show than before. The special effects are put to good use here, especially for the werewolves, an addition that makes the story much more interesting. The score by Alexandre Desplat is really fantastic. See how much a bigger budget can help a movie?

Kristen Stewart does a great job in here as always. I think she grounds the movie to reality. Although Robert Pattinson is underused here, along with most of the case, he's good with the small amount of screen time he has. Taylor Lautner gets a much bigger role in here, which is fortunate not only for the Twihards out there but for everyone else too, because he makes the movie more interesting. As stated before, many of the cast members are underused. Remember Rachelle Lefevre, playing Victoria, the villain, who was part of the cliffhanger ending in the first film? Well, we see her for brief moments in here, totaling up her screen time for only seconds.

The story is much more moodier and less interesting in here, in my opinion, compared to the first. The characters are in here mostly to mope and be depressed because of a such complicated relationship. However, the technicality is much improved, from the cinematography to the score. Director Chris Weitz does his best here, along with the rest of the cast. It's a decent sequel to a good movie but it could have been much better. Maybe the screenwriter should cut out some unnecessary bits from the novels to make it more interesting. A little action wouldn't hurt, would it? Don't you just hate it when someone you love turns out to be a vampire? I think Bella needs a break. 6/10
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 2:32pm
 MWG review ... no comment.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:34am
I truly wonder whether MWG is CAPABLE of rating a movie less than 6. And if he tries to say he thinks that Watchmen was less than a 6 to prove a point, I'm going to shoot a Hadoken across the country and pop him one in the chest.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:01am

I am "CAPABLE of rating a movie less than 6." I just don't post them here, since I'm limited to movies listed on this site. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, moviewizguy, you are not limited to discussing (or bringing up for discussion) only movies already listed as Forum subjects. Here's a LINK to the appropriate place on our Forum to post your thoughts on movies other than those already listed.

Given your track record of defending the most heinous drek week-after-week, I must say: I look forward to seeing exactly WHAT you post...

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:23am

Here's a You Tube LINK to watch video of a "Twi-Hard" reacting to the trailer for NEW MOON. The counter sez it's been viewed over 450,000 times...

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Just to clarify -- While the person in the video does over-react (sometimes quite amusingly) the official RAZZIE position regarding the insulting responses posted below the video on You Tube is that we exist to make fun of bad movies...not to make fun of fans of bad movies. The "die fat cow/bitch" comments are over the top and un-necessarily vicious...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 1:47pm
I'm pretty sure MWG's rating system is not of 1 to 10, but a 6 to 10 rating. That would explain A LOT.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 3:05pm

Wow. That really would.  

Originally posted by Michaels

I'm pretty sure MWG's rating system is not of 1 to 10, but a 6 to 10 rating. That would explain A LOT.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>