Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE EXPENDABLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

a.k.a. THE RAZZIE® DIRTY HALF-DOZEN, PLUS...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a.k.a. THE RAZZIE® DIRTY HALF-DOZEN, PLUS...
    Posted: August 16 2010 at 3:38pm
I might what Rocky VI?! And I was pretty sure I had the right Roman numerals for the 2008 Rambo movie. It was also known as "Rambo 4", IIRC. And what do you think of my assessment that Rambo IV was merely average?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 4:19pm
Oh, "Rambo 4"! Yeah, people hated it here, but it was saved by competing with the likes of "Love Guru," "The Happening," Uwe Boll and Seltzer-Berg.   

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 5:28pm
Then what's to say that Vampires Suck, The Bounty Hunter, Grown-Ups, The Stale Air Bender, and Jonah Hex won't outstink The Expendables?  
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 7:08pm
At this point, nothing.

I'm actually disappointed that this movie was merely disappointing. . . .

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 8:24pm
When John Rambo received better critical response than expected, I made precisely the same observation. It was one of half a dozen or more cases where I have suggested that we look for better fish to fry when our initial suspicions about upcoming movies have turned out to be offbase. MWG made the claim that it has never happened, but I'm even willing to give Stallone his due when appropriate.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

And yet, I'm sure MWG will come swooping in with his trademark "6 out of 10" any day now. Funny, saturnwatcher of all people saying a Stallone movie isn't "one of ours". What is the world coming to?!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
DaveThePhotoGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 3:02am
Seriously guys...when the time comes you can't vote this as one of The Razzies' Worst Picture  nominees for 2010. At least this movie isn't pretending to be something it's not.  

A few movies that have classed themselves as "comedies" and not come close:  

"The Bounty Hunter," "Killers," "Furry Vengance," "Vampires Suck" & "Death at a Funeral" (the remake). 

So please guys don't vote for it just because you should there are far more deserving movies out there. 

I know it isn't a comedy but you get where I am coming from here. 

This film promises to be an action movie like we remembered from the 80's, and you guys and gals
remember how much we liked those?

Try to remember the films that promised something and did not deliver.
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:05pm
Are you saying only comedies should be nominated?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 11:00pm
As far as receiving a Worst Picture nomination, this film is almost certainly out of danger. I could forsee Head Razz including it in a few acting categories on the preliminary ballot, but it is probably going to be overwhelmed by the competition.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 9:34am
If the comedies aren't being funny, but the action movies are delivering the action, I guess the former failed in their goals, and the latter did what they set out to do. So yeah, the comedies are setting the pace for the next Razzies.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 12:37pm
So far, a measly three action movies (The Stale Air Bender, Jonah HeX, and Killers) have set the standard for suckage in 2010. Bad comedies (Grown-Ups, Vampires Suck) and particularly the romantic ones (including the "anti-romantic" comedy The Bounty Hunter) will shape the 2010 RAZZIES most, from what I can tell.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 3:05pm
Yeah, you pretty much listed what I consider the six major contenders so far.
Galbert View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Galbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 4:21am
To be honest, I don't see why The Expendables should even be nominated... of course, it isn't a good movie by any means, and compared to something like Inception it definitely falls behind. But, to be honest, just because there is no plot doesn't mean it's the worst that could have happened: I prefer Steven Seagal brawling mooks for reasons of his own over Steven Seagal preaching about the environment, and although I like Bruce Willis killing terrorists because "he's in the wrong place at the wrong time", I cannot stand him digging a hole to set off a nuclear device on an asteroid.

As far as I'm concerned, there are three categories of action-movie plots:

1.) Some action movies manage to actually come up with a fairly intelligent story that does not only serve as an excuse for special effects orgies, but drives the whole film as a consistent and stringent way to connect one scene and another. The action serves the dramaturgy, not the other way around. A good recent example for this would be Inception.

2.) Some action movies don't bother with a plot. "Arnie gets angry and invades a third-world-country" or "Jackie enters a martial arts tournament" is as deep as it gets. While this kind of story is just a lousy excuse for explosions and ass-kicking, it has such a minimum of impact on the movie that at least it doesn't disturb the violence. This is the category of movies like The Expendables.

3.) Finally, there are action movies that try hard to come up with a storyline, but fail miserably. Even though there is a plot, it is so obscure that it's intellectually insulting. Although a majority of the screen-time is devoted to explaining the how, the audience never stops wondering why. This category currently is in the firm grip of Michael Bay...

In a perfect world, every action movie would fall in the first category. But since the second category movies are merely shallow, while the third type movies bear the risk of severe brain damage, how about reserving the razzies for those?
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 7:54am
It seems most of the people who post on this board have moved on from The Expendables.  It looked at first like it would be a Razzie gift from heaven, but it turned out to just not be bad enough.  So, don't worry about it.  We've got other movies to fry.

Or is it we've got other movies that are fried?  I could never keep these things straight. . . .

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2010 at 1:43pm
Here's Wikipedia's take on action movie sub-genres:

Action comedy

A sub-genre involving action and humor.[2] The sub-genre became a popular trend in the 1980s when actors who were known for their background in comedy such as Eddie Murphy, began to take roles in action films. The action scenes within the genre are generally lighthearted and rarely involve death or serious injury.[3] Comedy films such as Dumb & Dumber and Big Momma's House that contain action-laden sub-plots are not considered part of the genre as the action scenes have a more integral role in action comedies.[2] Examples of action comedies include The Blues Brothers (1980), 48 Hrs. (1982), Midnight Run (1988), Bad Boys (1995), Rush Hour (1998), and Charlie's Angels (2000).[2][3]

Die Hard scenario

The story takes place in limited location - a single building, plane, or vessel - which is seized or under threat by enemy agents, but are opposed by a single hero who fights an extended battle within the location using stealth and cunning to attempt to defeat them. This sub-genre began with the film Die Hard but has become popular in Hollywood movie making both because of its crowd appeal and the relative simplicity of building sets for such a constrained piece. These films are sometimes described as "Die Hard on a...".[4][5] Among the many films that have copied this formula are Under Siege[6] (terrorists take over a ship), Speed[7] (Die Hard on a bus), Under Siege 2: Dark Territory[8] and Derailed (hostages are trapped on a train), Sudden Death[9] (terrorists take over an Ice Hockey stadium), Passenger 57,[6] Executive Decision[9] and Air Force One[6] (hostages are trapped on a plane), Con Air (criminals take over a transport plane), and Half Past Dead and The Rock[9] (criminals or terrorists take over a prison). Paul Blart: Mall Cop is a recent spoof of these movies.

Girls with guns

This sub-genre of films and animation, especially Hong Kong action films and anime, uses a female protagonist in a strong lead role, set in a modern context. The genre involves gun-play, stunts and martial arts action. Some of the best known female fighters are Angela Mao Ying, Cheng Pei-pei, Moon Lee, Michelle Yeoh, Zhang Ziyi and Cynthia Rothrock. European and US films with female protagonists include Nikita (1990); Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001); and Kill Bill (2003/2004).

Heroic bloodshed

This Hong Kong sub-genre revolves around dramatic themes such as brotherhood, honor, redemption and the effects of violence on the individual and society at large. It often features stylized shootouts with slow-motion scenes of barrages of gun fire with large-caliber automatic pistols.

Of course, each sub-genres has its strengths and weaknesses, and can be broken down into the three types of action movies that Galbert mentioned.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 2:23pm
Hey, HeadRazz, sorry for the late response, I was pointing out that Rourke and Roberts had given more than one good performance, because I thought I read that someone had posted that every actor in the film has "Only" given one good performance, sorry about the confusion. I still haven't seen the movie yet, as money is tight and I'm waiting for Machete.
ziesha View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ziesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 4:40am
You must be kidding, because i really liked this movie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>