Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > FLYBOYS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

All Quiet on the Box Office Front?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Quiet on the Box Office Front?!?!?
    Posted: September 19 2006 at 11:01am

ACTION-PACKED YET ODDLY UNEXCITING, FLYBOYS LOOKS TO BE the CINEMATIC EQUIVALENT of the HINDENBERG: HEADED for a CRASH-and-BURN FATE, WITH BOTH CRITICS and the MOVIE-GOING PUBLIC. PREDICTABLE, OVERLONG and UNDER-INTERESTING, ITS MOST INTRIGUING MYSTERY IS...WHO on EARTH EVER THOUGHT IT WOULD APPEAL to TODAY'S AUDIENCES...

"Yo! Them Bi-Planes, They Blow Up REAL Good!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 5:55am
Looks like James Franco will get a Worst Actor Razzie nom for this along with ANNAPOLIS. Besides this film, we're also spotting ALL THE KING'S MEN in this list. Also, Head RAZZ, add JACKASS: NUMBER TWO on this list as well. Remember that this is a sequel to the 2002 film JACKASS: THE MOVIE.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 2:04am
The first thought that came to my mind after seeing the preview for this up-coming turkey was "Pearl Harbor II: The Prequel". I think James Franco needs to stick with Harry Osbourne in "Spiderman," and leave big epic movies alone.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 2:50am
Maybe they should offer "Free Oxygen Tanks" to all customers...since the average age of anyone interested in this material will be somewhere between 90...and death!
Everything SUX!
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 2:53am
How about resurrecting "Free Dish Night," like they had during the Great Depression?? Anyone old enough to care about the adventures of World War I flying aces can probably tell first-hand stories of life in the 1930's...
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 2:55am
Once all 153 surviving World War I "flying aces" have seen it...where's the rest of their audience for this??
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 2:57am
One further suggestion for theatres showing Flyboys (and this one is safety related): They probably should remove JuJuBees from their candy cases, since those can play havoc with dentures...
Everything SUX!
zicofirol View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote zicofirol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 11:18am

Originally posted by Nasty Man

Maybe they should offer "Free Oxygen Tanks" to all customers...since the average age of anyone interested in this material will be somewhere between 90...and death!

No. The subject is not the problem a WWI movie can be just as intersting as a WWII, so I doubt its not that audiences care, but look at the cast and how the movie is made, looks like a cheesy film.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 1:05pm

Okay, I'll speak for the clear minority here. I will see this movie, and I'm rather looking forward to it. It might well be awful, but I'm a sucker for films with vintage WWI planes...The Blue Max, Wings, etc.

For the record, while I've made quite a number of trips around the sun on this rock, I don't wear dentures (in fact, I have all my own teeth and never even had a cavity), I'm not a veteran of WWI (in fact, I came along about a decade after WWII) and my closest accounts of the Great Depression were from my grandparents.

Come now, guys, Alexandar was a pathetic film, but I didn't see any mummies in the audience, and there were a few other folks in the seats when we saw it.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 5:51pm
This movie sounds like it's "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying
Machines"...minus the comedy
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 12:50pm

Time to report on this one, having just returned home from seeing it.

First of all, it should definitley be removed from Razzie consideration. It's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but not terrible either. To comment on the main attacks from critics:

Too long: Yes...the material didn't warrant a 2 hour plus film

Cliche ridden: Yes. Just about every war movie cliche is represented

Bad CGI effects: NO! It was actually pretty well done

On the whole, it kept my attention as well. I would have eliminated some unnecessary subplots, and there was nothing special about the acting, but it wasn't a movie that required strong performances.

To address a note brought up frequently above, the audience was reasonably large, and mostly my age or younger.

Finally, one other note I considered placing in another thread. The biggest audience reaction came before this movie started. To the best of my knowledge, the trailer for Rocky Balboa was shown for the first time to Denver area audiences in movie theaters. The playing of the Rocky theme immediately brought a mass groan from the audience, and as the trailer proceeded, titters of laughter grew to full blown roars and even a few catcalls. I'd say that doesn't bode well for Stallone's project.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 1:14pm
How sad is it that the reviews for this film are more than two times better than A film that has Two Oscar winning actors (Penn and Hopkins), Three Oscar-nominated actors ( Law, Clarkson, and Winslet), a three time Emmy winner (Gandolfini), and Mark Ruffalo? The reviews for Penn are mixed, some are predicting an Oscar nomination, others say he's ridiculous, It's I AM SAM all over again.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 2:44pm

My guess is that this film probably is two times better than All The King's Men. It's just further proof of something that I've been saying for a long time...in fact, we might as well even call it Saturnwatcher's Law:

If your remake an old movie that was good, the result will be inferior. If you remake an old movie that was bad, you will repeat all the original errors and add a laundry list of new ones generating an even worse movie.

Offered as proof, if any is necessary, Stallone made the same Rocky flick half a dozen times and each one got exponentially worse.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 11:36am

After reviewing the box-office returns from last weekend, the glimmer hope that a brighter future for America might be just around the corner crashed resoundingly.

The top movie at the box-office featured a bunch of morons trying to doing amazingly retarded stunts. That was followed by yet another mindless marathon of Jet-Li ass-kicking, and a movie starring The Rock. Game over, the terrorists won.

deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Game over, the terrorists won.

First terrorists declare war on Israel, then they ruin Hollywood. Insert joke here:___

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 6:20pm
Being a history Buff I can say that "Flyboys" is no historical masterpiece.  Flying those primative machines was as dangerous as you could get, and it was done by very brave (and maybe very foolish) young men.  But the movie missed a chance to tell the story in a dramatic way.
 It reminded me of the boring "Pearl Harbor" (without the inaccuracies) as well.   All the money went into the special effects instead of a decent script.
Watch the original "Hells Angels" and you'll see what I mean.  

"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>