Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE LAST AIR-BENDER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

An Ill Wind BLOWS...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Ill Wind BLOWS...
    Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:42pm
So why did you make a whole analogy for me about telling me to not see the film when you are (eventually) going to see it? It's not fair, now is it? The video review said the movie is bad, filled with too many characters, locations, sets, etc but then it also tells the viewers to go see the film, which is difficult to explain to you why unless you watch the video. 

But, then again, you aren't willing to watch the video so I see us standing at a dead end right now unless you make a move. You need to meet me halfway here.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:45pm
MWG -- Maybe, just maybe, what you should written was "this is a well written review." And in the end, it's STILL ONE good (if you can even call that "good") review vs. nearly 100 bad reviews.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: BHB, methinks you're carping on a point MWG has repeatedly tried to clarify -- apparently with little or no success -- that he never even made. MWG was not defending the movie, but rather the specific review of it, which he has endlessly pointed out is not a positive review...  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:48pm
Or maybe, just maybe, you should finally see the video I posted. And no, in the end, it's still a negative review. It's a really negative review if you watch it (but I know you won't for some odd reason). It even went so far as to say M. Night's previous three films were some of the worst films of the decade. Yes. It IS negative -- There's no debate on that... 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:49pm
Not that I speak on saturnwatcher's behalf, but we (Razzies voters) and you (armchair critic) are going to watch this movie for VERY different reasons. We (Razzies voters) are going to watch it for a good laugh and see if it really is the worst movie of the year, so that we can vote for it in as many catagories as possible. You (armchair critic) will watch it because it was made by your hero and role model and you are trying your hardest to convince yourself that it is a good movie, even though hundreds of professional critics are saying otherwise. 

Have we met you halfway yet?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:51pm
OK, I watched it --and it said funny, negative things about the movie ... but ended on a good note. That's not a negative review to me. Now, if he said it was on par with "Battlefield Earth" and that it will mark the end of M. Night's career, like other reviews have, then yes, it would indeed be a very negative review ... but it isn't.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:51pm
Actually as a matter of "membership integrity," I don't think it is fair to vote for movies or performances I haven't seen. The difference between myself and MWG being that I am not going out of my way to see it simply as a fan of Shyamalan. And for that matter, I won't actually put much effort into seeing it...I'll just pull it up on PPV when the time comes.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 8:53pm
Have you met me halfway yet? Actually, no -- because I wanted you guys to watch the review in order to meet me halfway. And you're wrong by saying we have different reasons for watching the film. Really, it wasn't that long ago when I posted this: "I have a hard time believing the reviews' negativity as well. If I watch the film, it'll be to see how bad it is. Let's hope a reboot comes five years later."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 9:56pm
Yeah, we're still not meeting you halfway. We're only planning to see it just to laugh at it and consider it for Worst Picture (among other awards). 

And no, we're not hoping for a "reboot" ... EVER.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 2:53pm
The concensus has been made: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtaFsT0O_zY 

And here's something extra: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyGlA0le_cw
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 6:24pm
I believe the penalty for Worst Picture is going to be much more dubious this year than usual (an exception is 2008, where I correctly guessed 4 out of 6 finalists). If The Expendables and Vampires Suck, and a few others get negative reviews this steep, it'll make up for all the previous films that got from 30%-59% at Rotten Tomatoes.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 6:36pm
Well, "Grown-Ups" is currently at 10% on RT, "Killers" is at 12%, and "Fartbender" is at 8%. I'm hoping "Vampire Suck" will put all of those numbers to shame! Come on, critics: 0%!  0%!!!  
rburton View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rburton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 12:56am
All this Vampires Suck pre-hatred is so bizarre to me.  I did a Razzie crash course a few weeks back and watched a few dozen former nominees and "winners."  The stupidest use of nominations (and there were quite a few squandered selections) went to Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie.  Yeah, those movies are totally, absolutely horrible.  But their references are instantly dated.  A decade from now, even people who saw them in their initial release won't get the jokes.  Future Razzie completists will understand why Xanadu or Battlefield Earth were considered rotten.  But they'll watch a 60-minute feature like Meet the Spartans, scratch their heads, and wonder why Razzie voters phoned it in that year.  Vampires Suck is designed to be awful.  Why not find something meant to be good that went awry?
For Your Consideration

Dev Patel for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR in The Last Fartbender
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 10:02am
I don't know, I always thought the Razzies were for the worst of the worst. "Seltzerberg" movies are are just epic failure on every level of filmmaking -- The kind of movies that after watching them, you're left in total shock and awe as you wonder "how the f*** did that piece of s*** get greenlit?". Anything Seltzerberg makes fits perfectly with that description.
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 5:33pm
Ahhh, another film I was counting on (the other was Jonah Hex) to redeem a struggling movie star (or director in this case) that ends up bombing with critics.

Damn you stylized trailers for bringing my hopes up!
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 6:26pm
If they didn't get your hopes up, then they wouldn't be trailers, now would they?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 8:55pm
I've been making that case here for quite some time in campaigning against those sorts of movies whenever they are nominated. Further, I think that the attention they would get by "winning" Razzies only tends to inspire more of them. I think you are exactly correct...we should be going after well intentioned movies that are serious blowouts...not movies specifically designed to be bad.  

Originally posted by rburton

All this Vampires Suck pre-hatred is so bizarre to me.  I did a Razzie crash course a few weeks back and watched a few dozen former nominees and "winners."  The stupidest use of nominations (and there were quite a few squandered selections) went to Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie.  Yeah, those movies are totally, absolutely horrible.  But their references are instantly dated.  A decade from now, even people who saw them in their initial release won't get the jokes.  Future Razzie completists will understand why Xanadu or Battlefield Earth were considered rotten.  But they'll watch a 60-minute feature like Meet the Spartans, scratch their heads, and wonder why Razzie voters phoned it in that year.  Vampires Suck is designed to be awful.  Why not find something meant to be good that went awry?
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>