Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ANGELS & DEMONS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ANGELS in the Out-House....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANGELS in the Out-House....
    Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:38am

I read The Da Vinci Code, and although Dan Brown was good at hiding certain facts from the reader in plain sight, I found the book to be literary fluff tailored for the many conspiracy theorists I've encountered. 

I tire of conspiracy theories quickly.

I still haven't seen the movie, but since most of the book was spent talking about what things meant and how they related to the conspiracy theory treated as fact, I couldn't see the resulting movie being any better than a blah-blah-blah with some action.  I'm not surprised what I've read says that's what happened.

I brought up Angels & Demons almost a year ago.  The controversy of the Roman Catholic Church blocking any filming within its churches was brought up then -- it's way old news, although the CNN link in the original post is now dead.  The only reason they made this move is because The Da Vinci Code made over $750 million worldwide.  Based on what I've seen in the trailer, despite most everybody being back on board, it seems they've listened to previous criticisms and improved it in ways that mattered, including Tom Hanks' hair. 

As such, I'd expect Angels & Demons to have a better rating at Rotten Tomatoes than The Da Vinci Code.  But I also expect another blah-blah-blah with some action.  But this time around, it seems they've punched things up better.  So, expect the current RT rating to go down once several more critics weigh in.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I just visited the other movie review compendium site, MetaCritic, and saw that, with 4 reviews counted, ANGELS & DEMONS currently has a lower approval rating than NEXT DAY AIR. This, too, will likely change as more reviews come in, but it does suggest ANGELS is unlikely to be a smash by any stretch...

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:53pm
I saw on Rotten Tomotes that they have A & D at 60% I think I skip like I did with Code, and just Both go see Star Trek and T4
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:52pm
The film's getting good reviews. As of right now, it's 60%. Not necessarily a good thing, so we'll see come Friday whether or not Angels and Demons is better, worse, or equal to The Da Vinci Code.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:24am

Well, this one is hardly in Razzie territory yet... But we'll have to see how it turns out. Perhaps we will find that the early reviewers are just trying to bring it down before it gets a cahnce...

I'll be there opening day, after I work, give blood, get some sleep...and maybe eat...

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 8:55am

I love the idea the film takes place in one day. I didn't realize that, which helps the pacing move a little faster, and with less talky scenes...

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 3:16am

I'd imagine from the word-of-mouth that it'll stay around 60% (it's at 54% at the moment). But it's still the lowest rated movie out this week. I'm sure it's perfectly mediocre, which is actually not that bad for a summer release.

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

The film's getting good reviews. As of right now, it's 60%. Not necessarily a good thing, so we'll see come Friday whether or not Angels and Demons is better, worse, or equal to "The Da Vinci Code.".

-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:24am
Mediocrity is better then some of the crap that gets shoveled into the summer movie season... I still cite Speed Racer as perhaps the worst summer movie that I have ever seen... and likely will ever see...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 11:42am

Apparently "Star Trek" is the best that the summer movie season has to offer right now.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 11:53am
Well, it has received high accolades... Too bad it isn't the worst that the season had to offer, because then the bar would be pretty high....
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 2:42pm

The reviews are pouring in, and Angels & Demons is slowly going down the drain.

My favorite cracks amazingly come from two "positive" reviews.  Ebert says if you are "forgiving," then the film succeeds.  Travers describes it as "hell-raising hooey" and that you may enjoy if you go along with it.  Implied in both is the idea that you'll have to work a little harder at suspending your disbelief (or maybe just enjoy it for what it is).  To me, that's a big warning -- this movie isn't as good as it should be.

Overall, though, it seems almost every review, good or bad, declares this movie to be a definite improvement over The Da Vinci Code.  Most critics, though, also add that that's still not good enough. 

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 7:05pm
I'm fairly surprised with the promotion machine on Angels and Demons. I saw Tom Hanks on both Good Morning America and The Daily Show on the same day, and Ron Howard was on The Colbert Report the same night. I know they all hit the others (Letterman, Leno, Ferguson, Conan) for this kind of thing more regularly, but yea... They're on a roll. Tom Hanks has brought back his whole comedy thing for it even, although maybe a little old school.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 1:53am
It's a big movie, of course there are going to be huge amounts of promotion, especially in light of negative reviews, and stern discouragement from the largest money-making organization in the world, the Catholic church.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 2:22am

I am personally rooting for STAR TREK to kick ANGELS & DEMONS where the nuns don't shine. To me, TREK reigns as 2009's most perfectly crafted "popcorn movie," while ANGELS looks like a bunch of guys who offered us a crud buffet a coupla years ago who think we're dumb enough to ask for seconds on sh*t sandwiches.

What matters here is not whether ANGELS sux as bad as DA VINCI did, it's the idea that we're expected to forget how disappointing CODE was and pay good money to see a second film from the same folks who effed up the first one.

I suggest, if DEMONS is of any interest to you (and if you're a RAZZIE® Voter, it sure looks like it should be) that you wait and rent the DVD...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 3:45am

I feel that movies always play better on the big screen, so I'm going the best way I can, and I am going to see DEmons for free (I have enough free movie passes that I should be able to manage no problem).

Besides which, I believe in second chances. I'm willing to give these folk a chance to redeem themselves and see how well they do.

Yeah, Star Trek was a great Pop Corn flick... lots of fun. As I said either here or elsewhere on the forums, we could only be so lucky that Star Trek was the worst the Summer had to offer...

sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:22am
When The Da Vinci Code came out, many of us were expecting it to bomb at the box office, but to our surprise, it made money at the box office both domestically and worldwide. As for this one, we'll have to see how much it will make starting with this weekend.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:42am

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

I am personally rooting for STAR TREK to kick ANGELS & DEMONS where the nuns don't shine. To me, TREK reigns as 2009's most perfectly crafted "popcorn movie," while ANGELS looks like a bunch of guys who offered us a crud buffet a coupla years ago who think we're dumb enough to ask for seconds on sh*t sandwiches.

I guess it will depend on how many Catholics go to see "A&D", just so they can get all outraged about it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>