Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ANGELS & DEMONS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ANGELS in the Out-House....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANGELS in the Out-House....
    Posted: May 23 2009 at 2:43am
They really need to get pre-emptive with these things... Get the movie out before the book, so people won't whine about how the book was better. I think the phrase, "The book was better" should be made illegal. It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 6:23am
I think people need to stop comparing the movie to the book completely. Sure, I know the book is the source material, but the movie is an entirely different medium. There are certain limitations when one turns a book into a movie. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are seperate entities and should be treated as such.
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 5:03pm
Not to mention, directors and screenwriters intend to make changes to movies compared to the books.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:11pm
Better yet, I think people should just stop reading altogether. They can just read subtitles. That's enough for me, anyway.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:31pm
People need to read, so they can complain when the adaptation of the novel they read doesn't faithfully recreate every single word from the book. Or, when the movie actually comes close, they can complain that the movie was trying to hard to be like the book, thus creating a wonderful lose-lose situation.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:57pm
Watchmen, anyone?
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.

I think people should brag about how they read a book.  It seems people don't read anywhere near as many books as they used to.  They play videogames, go see movies, watch television and surf on the Internet.  Newspapers have gone downhill.  I wonder if bookreading hasn't gone downhill as well.

And I'm pointing the finger at myself when I say this.  I used to read books and the L.A. Times all the time.  Now, when I want news, I go to CNN and MSNBC, and I surf the web a lot.  I mean, the last book I completed was Everything I Know I Learned at the Movies by John JB Wilson, and, considering the book is laid out with one page a scene from a movie and the page next to it some movie cliche or not-so-true truism you hear all the time in a movie, I'm betting the total word count was under 1000 words. . . .

Oh, yes, before I forget, it is an enjoyably funny book.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 4:16pm
I mean, the last book I completed was Everything I Know I Learned at the Movies by John JB Wilson, and, considering the book is laid out with one page a scene from a movie and the page next to it some movie cliche or not-so-true truism you hear all the time in a movie, I'm betting the total word count was under 1000 words. . . .

Oh, yes, before I forget, it is an enjoyably funny book.

Hey, I own that book. I'm waiting for the sequel.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

It's just a way for people to sound pompous and brag about how they read a book.

I think people should brag about how they read a book.  It seems people don't read anywhere near as many books as they used to.  They play videogames, go see movies, watch television and surf on the Internet.  Newspapers have gone downhill.  I wonder if bookreading hasn't gone downhill as well.

Just for the record, I was making a rather dry joke. I don't really think that people shouldn't read, but I do get sick of "book was better."
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:29am

Everything I know I learned from the Movies? And only a thousand words you say? Sounds like it might be an interesting diversion for a few minutes... might have ot check it out.

When is the movie version coming out?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:04am
I'm pretty sure the movie version would win a Razzie for sure.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:07am
Guaranteed Razzie winners are great. Although it does kinda kill the suspense...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:25am
Yea. The author of that book sounds kinda like a nutjob. Like someone who would start some sort of cult around people who make fun of bad movies.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 8:25am

Yea. The author of that book sounds kinda like a nutjob. Like someone who would start some sort of cult around people who make fun of bad movies.

I know, right? And who would spend all their personal time talking to others about how bad, bad movies? Crazyness!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 10:10am
Oh, gotta watch out for those nutjobs... next thing you know, they are starting their own awards ceremony or something...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Oh, gotta watch out for those nutjobs... next thing you know, they are starting their own awards ceremony or something...

I know, right, an awards ceremony that the winning actors, writers, and directors never show up for, no less! I can't image that lasting for very long; no way it would go on for something like, oh, 3 decades.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>