Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ANGELS & DEMONS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ANGELS in the Out-House....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANGELS in the Out-House....
    Posted: May 09 2009 at 4:20am

FOR the MILLIONS WHO READ DAN BROWN's INTERNATIONAL BEST-SELLING NOVEL THE DA VINCI CODE, the 2006 MOVIE MADE from IT WAS BEYOND DISAPPOINTING. IN FACT, MANY WERE SURPRISED WHEN IT GOT AWAY with ONLY ONE RAZZIE® NOMINATION (RON HOWARD as WORST DIRECTOR).

SO WHEN IT CAME TIME to DO a FOLLOW-UP FILM (BASED on a LESS-BEST-SELLING NOVEL) SOME of US HOPED AT LEAST SOME of the FOLKS RESPONSIBLE for the FIRST FIASCO WOULDN'T BE ASKED BACK. BUT DESPITE THEIR HAVING MADE a MOVIE ALMOST NOBODY LIKED, the NAMES ASSOCIATED with DA VINCI ARE ALL MAJOR HOLLYWQOOD PLAYERS -- the TYPES STUDIOS ARE TERRIFIED of EVER SAYING ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT...

SO NOW WE HAVE the SECOND ONE...and a SECOND CHANCE to SEE HOW NOT to MAKE a THRILLING MOVIE from a PAGE-TURNER of a NOVEL...

WHILE IT WOULD BE HARD-PRESSED to SUCK AS BAD AS DA VINCI, ANGELS & DEMONS, by REWARDING DA VINCI's MAKERS for RUINING WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ONE of the BEST MOVIE THRILLERS EVER, AT LEAST DESERVES SOME MENTION in 2009's PASSING RAZZIE® PARADE.

AND WHO NOSE, IT COULD BE a FRONT-RUNNER for OUR 2009 WORST PREQUEL OR SEQUEL AWARD...

TATOU: "What's that stench??"

HANKS: "Guess word-of-mouth on that first film was kinda...chunky..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 5:26am
I'd never read Da Vinci, but it was fairly obvious that it just didn't translate very well. Quite frankly, this one looks even less appealing, and the overall plot seems a bit more far-fetched.
-Iron helps us play-
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 5:56am

I noticed that Hanks does have a Hair Cut in this one, so at least I won't have see Hanks with long hair on every talk show, like he did when he made Da Vinci Code...

CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 6:21am

I'm going to wait until I actually see the movie before I say anything about it. I will say that this was kind of a predictable choice, considering the hatred that was lumped onto the Da Vinci Code...

And... is what Tomsmo saying there even English? The words by themselves make sense, but strung together as they are... All I can say is... "Huh?"

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 7:22am

I read both books, and while I liked them, I did not like "The DaVinci Code" that much. I will see "Angels & Demons," though, since the book was intriguing to read.

But THIS movie on the Forum (when feedback is already on the positive side) is seriously messed up. And I'm still a little upset over the "Horton Hires a Ho" addition last year...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 8:39am

I never thought this movie would have a spot here. But then again, it's hard to make a "thriller" out of a book that's mostly just a bunch of people standing around talking about all of the Church's dirty little secrets (which are probably true).

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 8:53am

I think the plot is supposed to be far-fetched...yet still not hard to believe. I heard some people found the things true in those books, including myself (for a second). But, yes, it's hard to translate the book onscreen. I've read the Da Vinci Code and I've got to say: It is a page turner. Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, which is why I think people loved the book so much.

However, can you make a movie a page turner? Nope.

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I'd never read Da Vinci, but it was fairly obvious that it just didn't translate very well. Quite frankly, this one looks even less appealing, and the overall plot seems a bit more far-fetched.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 9:30am

It is easy to understand why this movie showed up here. The Da Vinci Code was pretty much panned by everyone, and this is the only major release this coming out this week... 

Although, I am fairly surprised at how quickly this showed up...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Movie Man

I read both books, and while I liked them, I did not like "The DaVinci Code" that much. I will see "Angels & Demons," though, since the book was intriguing to read.But THIS movie on the Forum (when feedback is already on the positive side) is seriously messed up. And I'm still a little upset over the "Horton Hires a Ho" addition last year...

It IS the only major release next week, and The Da Vinci code WAS one of the most primal forms of mediocrity known to man. There are positive reviews, yes, but Wolverine was sitting at 100% for quite some time. I agree that we can't judge it just yet, but it's the only logical choice, between this and a bunch of indie movies.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 5:23am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

It IS the only major release next week, and The Da Vinci code WAS one of the most primal forms of mediocrity known to man. There are positive reviews, yes, but Wolverine was sitting at 100% for quite some time. I agree that we can't judge it just yet, but it's the only logical choice, between this and a bunch of indie movies.

Well, shouldn't indie movies count, too? Wasn't "C Me Dance" an indie flick? Or are we only mocking movies that are backed by million dollar studio budgets? A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless if it was made by a studio or not.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 5:50am
Well, yes, of course, but they also aren't always quite as bad. At least indie movies have to try a little. Angels & Demons' viewers will come from fans of the book(s) or (try not to giggle) fans of The Da Vinci Code movie. Again, not to cast too much judgement on the quality of this film.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 6:48am
While indie films should be considered, this film was practically begging for the "honor" of being worst of the weak... After seeing how the Da Vinci Code was received. For the Head Razz to choose anything else would have been a huge surprise. Sort of like how a horror remake could be released alongside "Barney the Dinosaur vs The Martians" Produced by Michael Bay, and Written by Seltzerberg, and the Horror Remake will get the worst of the weak hands down...
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 7:50am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Is what Tomsmo saying there even English? The words by themselves make sense, but strung together as they are... All I can say is... "Huh?"

To CriticalFrank: Sorry for the bad post, what I was trying to say was I don't see how this time around Tom Hanks won't be back on every talk show promoting this movie with long hair, like he did when Made The Da Vinci Code.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 9:49am

Well, that makes more sense... Couldn't quite make out the previous post, sorry about that.

Originally posted by tomsmo35

To CriticalFrank: Sorry for the bad post, what I was trying to say was I don't see how this time around Tom Hanks won't be back on every talk show promoting this movie with long hair, like he did when Made The Da Vinci Code.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 10:07am

Actually, the Bay/Seltzerberg movie could be the Worst of the Weak, and Horror Remake #48765894729 could be a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak. Ah, number button mashing, it always gets the point across. 

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

While indie films should be considered, this film was practically begging for the "honor" of being worst of the weak... After seeing how the Da Vinci Code was received. For the Head Razz to choose anything else would have been a huge surprise. Sort of like how a horror remake could be released alongside "Barney the Dinosaur vs The Martians" Produced by Michael Bay, and Written by Seltzerberg, and the Horror Remake will get the worst of the weak hands down...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Michaels

Actually, the Bay/Seltzerberg movie could be the Worst of the Weak, and Horror Remake #48765894729 could be a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak. Ah, number button mashing, it always gets the point across. 

I don't know... I think that the Horror remake would be placed as worst of the weak... But that might just be a personal belief that some of the choices have been based on personal dislike, rather then the movie actually being the worst...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>