Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > THE BREAK-UP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

"Anti-Romantic"...And UN-Funny?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Anti-Romantic"...And UN-Funny?!?!
    Posted: June 01 2006 at 4:37am

SOMETIMES the CO-STARS FALLING in LOVE WHILE MAKING a MOVIE HELPS the FILM ...SOMETIMES IT DUZN'T. THE BREAK-UP LOOKS LIKE A CASE of the LATTER. BY a MARGIN of ABOUT 2-to-1, CRIX AGREE: IF YOU'RE LOOKING for LAFFS, LOOK ELSEWHERE... 

"Should we wait for it to come out on tape?"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:23am

One of our more active members forwarded me the following this morning (opening day for BREAK-UP). It's a compilation of Berry Nasty Quotes from the reviews, collected by Michael Slezak of Entertainment Weakly (with Hyper-Links to each complete review):

"Surfing the net this morning to find the best of the (almost uniformly negative) review headlines for the new Vince Vaughn-Jennifer Aniston vehicle The Break-Up, I found myself getting distracted by the brutal reviews themselves. Some of critics' barbs were so scathing, in fact, that I couldn't keep them to myself. Read on:

The San Fransisco Chronicle's Mick LaSalle: ''Imagine watching Bergman's Scenes From a Marriage, except without good scenes, without a marriage (legal or spiritual) and without people worthy of anybody's attention, even each other's. Now imagine something even worse.''

The Indianapolis Star's Christopher Lloyd: ''Watching The Break-Up is like riding in a car when the driver's asleep at the wheel, and you're slowly drifting off the straightaway and into the brambles. You can see what's wrong, but you're powerless to do anything but tighten your seat belt, grit your teeth and hope the driver wakes up in time.'' 

The New York Post's Lou Lumenick: ''The must-miss The Break-Up arrives more or less simultaneously with the child of Brangelina. Will Jennifer Aniston's humiliations never end?''

The A.V. Club's Keith Phipps: ''It's like watching the 'we were on a break' episode of Friends stretched to feature length, and without the blessed relief of commercial breaks or the promise of Seinfeld around the corner."

L.A. Weekly's Joe Donnelly: ''Think The War of the Roses lite -- sans the emotional investment of watching a real partnership disintegrate into hell. Speaking of hell, Ann-Margret as Brooke’s mother, Judy Davis as her gallerist boss and Vincent D’Onofrio as Gary’s brother all look like they stepped into the seventh layer during their wasted cameos. I hope Ann-Margret works again; I don’t want to remember her this way.''

The Boston Globe's Ty Burr: ''As for Aniston, she's as likable as ever, but her dramatic range has never looked narrower, and if there's any heat to her real-life relationship with Vaughn, it evaporated before it reached the camera. Can Aniston play anything but Rachel 2.0? Does she even want to? That trapped look in Brooke's eye isn't a character in a bind; it's an actress in a rut.''

After countless months of are-they-or-aren't-they speculation about the off-screen relationship between the film's stars, I was kind of excited to check out their on-screen chemistry, but this critical savaging has me wondering if The Break-Up is doomed to the same fate as other star-couple bombs like Vanilla Sky and Proof of Life. Whatever the film's fate, though, at least Vaughn can take comfort in a new site, Do You Speak Vince Vaughnese?, that compiles the best of his film quotes. Come to think of it: This might be a funnier (and cheaper) alternative to his latest movie offering..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:03pm
Reviews are harsh, but the underrated Jon Favreau is said to be good in this. I bet he and Vaughn have more chemistry than Vaughn and Aniston.
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:41pm
First off, HeadRAZZBerry, I would like to thank you for at least seeing that this movie looks like a possible Razzie contender. Of course, even if this movie is bad, there have been reviews that Vince Vaughn is good, and that the only supporting cast member who also faired well was Jon Favreau, like Sanndman said.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:40am
Watching this movie is like being stuck in a room with two people you don't like much who are in the middle of a scathing argument. You don't care much what is going on, and you are uncomfortable enough to wish you were ANYPLACE else.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 5:31pm

You know it has to bad by just reading the reviews in Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005561-break_up/), because even the supposed "Fresh" reviews it got (Sitting at 32% as we speak) are less than enthusiastic, and on some of them I think they just clicked the "Fresh" button by mistake when they meant to click "Rotten".

NOTE TO HeadRAZZY: I think you've got a "for sure" Worst On Screen Couple for 2006 (and off screen as well!)  

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 11:31pm

I second the nomination. I've seen more chemistry in 5th grade productions of Romeo and Juliet than Vaughn and Aniston had in this movie.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 4:35am
With the movie already out on DVD, the film made less than I expected. It just reached up to $118 Million at the U.S. B.O. but not a lot Worldwide. I guess not a lot of audiences enjoyed the romance of Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 4:04pm
Updating news: the Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston romance is NO more. Vaughn and Aniston have announced they are breaking up. How bout that? First, they did this film called THE BREAK-UP, now, like six months later, they're breaking up for real.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 9:35am

Furthermore, there have been so many comedians that are acting like they still live with their parents. Yeah, I still am, but I can actually do everything to take care of myself. I think maybe these people of Hollywood should try and get themselves together. Oh, and I brought over the same picture from the two other forums to describe all of that.

Ya hear that, Will, Vince, and Owen!

dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 6:29am
I didn't think this was terrible. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time (and I don't mean to watch). But I thought Ann-Margret should have been in it more.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 8:33am
Jenifer Aniston was horrific. Who did she win the People's choice awar- OOPS! I forgot it was the people's choice awards. They're even more lambasted than the Goldon Globs!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2010 at 3:13pm

They did good at creating a movie with the God-awful "Couples fighting" humour,and then making it real.In the real world,couples can argue all the time with no problem,but they fight once in a while.Fighting all the time,like in every single sitcom,is unreal.

The problem is that they didn't show that until the end,when we were already used to that,so it felt like a slap in the face.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Vits

They did good at creating a movie with the God-awful "Couples fighting" humour,and then making it real.In the real world,couples can argue all the time with no problem,but they fight once in a while.Fighting all the time,like in every single sitcom,is unreal.
The problem is that they didn't show that until the end,when we were already used to that,so it felt like a slap in the face.
That, and they used the same formula of "anyone from the Frat Pack must be shown as an immature man-child" yet again.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:41am
I gave this 4/10.Here's my review:  

THIS DATE MOVIE ISN'T GOOD TO WATCH DURING A DATE,MORE LIKE DURING A "BREAK-UP"(**/*****):

Spoilers ahead!

In an era where the Romantic Comedy genre has practically died because they're all the same thing over and over, some movies come along that try to be the opposite. Some succeed,some fail. This one...well, take a guess.

The movie is full of tone shifts. Whenever there's a dramatic scene, you feel awkward because you expect it to be funny, and whenever there's a funny scene...you get the idea. Remember when they fight in front of their friends because of Pictionary? If you listen to them you'll notice
they're having a real fight, but for some reason the funny music starts playing, and it's confusing.

The ending had a great message: Comedies(movies and TV)show us couples fighting disguised as arguing, and this one was more realistic by showing us that couples that fight that much don't just solve their problems in a short time and get ready for dinner while the audience switch from laugh track to clap. The problem is that the movie still felt like a typical rom-com, so a happy ending was expected in order to
have the right tone.

If they have had, a better overall message would've been rightfully delivered. And we would've understood why the characters were so stereotypical(every man in the movie has something wrong with him!)...assuming there is a reason.

What is this movie? A rom-com? An anti-rom-com? Both? Neither?  
Grades: D in the U.S. and 4,0 in Chile. 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply