Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Apocalypto: Bomb or Razzie Bait?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apocalypto: Bomb or Razzie Bait?
    Posted: January 29 2007 at 1:34pm

We went to the very last showing of this movie at our local theater, which was empty save us. The manager said that's the way it's been for at least a week...The movie was so bloody and so full of violence, my wife got sick! Even Hostel did not go to this level! I checked Box Office Mojo, and Apocolypto only made about $50 million.

So, was it just a bomb...or is this movie Razzie bait? Post your thoughts!

It takes millions to make a good movie, it costs millions to make a bad one!
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 10:25am
I can't say it was razzie material. There were definitely worse movies out this year. I'd have to say it was just a bomb. Not that Mel Gibson cares about box office figures since his last movies was the highest grossing movie of all time (which had tons more violence).
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 10:03am

Originally posted by bobw

So, was it just a bomb...or is this movie Razzie bait? Post your thoughts!

This was not a bomb. It was number 1 at the box office on its opening weekend, beating out The Holiday and Blood Daimond. In the end it may have underperformed, but there is a big difference betwwen underperforming and being a bomb.

What on earth is razzie bait? If you mean the oppisite of oscar bait then there is no such thing because every movie maker wants their movie to stay as far awy from the razzies as possible. If you mean "is Apacalypto razzie worthy", then no. Just because it was unbearably violent and unwatchable to you doesn't ean that it is razzie worthy. The majority of critic on rottentomatoes and commenters on IMDb found the violence bearable and enjoyed what was supposed to be an exiting adventure movie.

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 10:30am

Attention Foru Administrator-

I there any way I can fix the spelling errors in my post above? for some reason when I post with a quote in it I can't go back and edit it.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 7:50am
I actually liked the movie. It may have underperformed, but it wasn't a bomb. The movie's budget was $40 million. Mel Gibson's movie grossed $51 million, so it barely broke even.

It got 3 Academy Award nominations, BTW, according to this site:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/movies/?id=apocalypto.h tm
(I expected the music to get a nod to, as James Horner's music so fits the overall tone of the movie.)
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 4:18pm
Not exactly a bomb, but it wasn't really well-cast either. However, it definitely was not RAZZIE worthy at all.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 12:29pm
I found it to be one of the best movies of last year.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply