Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > P2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bet She Wishes She’d Valet Parked!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bet She Wishes She’d Valet Parked!!
    Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:00pm
I had nothing to say because Vits put Rear Window in his "Worst thrillers of all time." If you bothered to read his review, you would know. Also, his review seemed very incoherent. He stated that Aja's protagonists become as crazy as the villains themselves, which sounded like a compliment to me, but then he slaps the film with a 0/10? WTF?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:43pm
Compliment? How on Earth are we supposed to root for people who turn into slaughterers? At the end of this movie, ANGELA chokes THOMAS and handcuffs him to a car. That's slef-defense,which is O.K.. Then he yells "C*nt" at her, and she burns him alive. 

As for REAR WINDOW,I did research and changed the grade from 0% to 30%.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If you're referring to Alfred Hitchcock's seminal 1954 James Stewart/Grace Kelly thriller REAR WINDOW, I am sorry, but anyone who doesn't see the merits of that film doesn't know commercial movie-making very well. Perhaps it's because Vits isn't American, and a lot of Hitch's humor may be unintelligible to him, but REAR WINDOW has always placed high on of my personal list of The 100 Best Films of All Time. And the fact that it ranks among the top 25 of all time on the IMDb, and currently has a 100% Rating at RT, both suggest that I am far from alone in holding the film in such high esteem...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:46pm
That's the main point of most horror films. If you experience a horrific event, you'll never be the same at the end of the day! You don't just go off and say, "Whew! That was scary but I'm going on with my day if nothing ever happened, even though a killer almost tried to slaughter me." Really? And you have to learn that not every character in movies are 100% goody two shoes. That's what makes them interesting! Interesting characters are complex and flawed.  

Originally posted by Vits

Compliment?How on Earth are we suppose to root for people who turn into slaughterers?At the end of this movie,ANGELA chokes THOMAS and handcuffs him to a car.That's slef-defense,which is O.K..Then he yells "C*nt" at her and she burns him alive.

As for REAR WINDOW,I did a research and changed the grade from 0% to 30%.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:55pm
No, Vits has a point. How are we suppose to relate to her if in the the end, she ends up being no better than the villain? If she killed him by accident, okay, but to go all out and burn him alive ... over-reacting much? If he wasn't tied down and it came down to him or her, yeah, that's fine, but after he's defeated, not really. Granted, if someone breaks into my house with a gun and we fight and I end up shooting him, okay, self-defense, but lighting him on fire afterwards when he's already defeated? Slightly overkill.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 7:30pm
That's what you get for calling her the c-word?  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

No, Vits has a point. How are we suppose to relate to her if in the the end, she ends up being no better than the villain? If she killed him by accident, okay, but to go all out and burn him alive ... over-reacting much? If he wasn't tied down and it came down to him or her, yeah, that's fine, but after he's defeated, not really. Granted, if someone breaks into my house with a gun and we fight and I end up shooting him, okay, self-defense, but lighting him on fire afterwards when he's already defeated? Slightly overkill.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 8:28pm
Yes, because you know, the trying to kidnap and hold her against her will and then trying to kill when she tried to escape, that she can live with. But calling her the c-word, well, that was too much! 

See, it sounds even dumber when you try to explain! 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

That's what you get for calling her the c-word?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 10:10pm
I wasn't trying to explain it. I was giving a sarcastic explanation.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 10:49pm
And you failed because it only helpped further prove how dumb that plot point was.  

I wasn't trying to explain it. I was giving a sarcastic explanation.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 10:30am
Well, if you think a single action by the protagonist can ruin the movie, then you can just think that.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 10:55am
No, the movie as a whole is s***,  the single action of the protagonist is just a final insult to the audience's already suffering brains.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 1:40pm
Not that I don't appriciate you guys saying once a month that us foreigners don't understand your movies...But here's the thing: 

The reason I change the rating from 0% to 30% is because a new rule I have with movies made before 1970, because I just can't be in the shoes of people from that time. So I give them extra points.

Hitchcock's great at suspense and horror, but mostly at suspense, and this movie and THE BIRDS(20%) prove it.Cutting the music to create suspense is a good technique,but in those movies he also cut the music while something was happening(suspense means being afraid of what will happen,not what's happening). Watching James Stewart being choked with no music(after the whole movie had cheerful comedy music) and listening to nothing but his grouching felt ridiculous!

There's also Grace Kelly's performance which,just like Wes Bentley was on the edge of being good, she was on the edge of being bad, but neither of them crossed it. However, this morning my acting teacher told me Hitchcock was a sexist and that's why her character was one-dimensional and she was always related to objects. That could be it. The villian is also one-dimensional. We never learn how or why he killed his wife.

I'm not saying the movie is bad. I'm saying I didn't like it, so you don't have to tell me the world's concensus. And I have liked movies from that time. A few weeks ago I gave 100% to 12 ANGRY MEN. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If you're referring to Alfred Hitchcock's seminal 1954 James Stewart/Grace Kelly thriller REAR WINDOW, I am sorry, but anyone who doesn't see the merits of that film doesn't know commercial movie-making very well. Perhaps it's because Vits isn't American, and a lot of Hitch's humor may be unintelligible to him, but REAR WINDOW has always placed high on of my personal list of The 100 Best Films of All Time. And the fact that it ranks among the top 25 of all time on the IMDb, and currently has a 100% Rating at RT, both suggest that I am far from alone in holding the film in such high esteem...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 2:34pm
OK -- you're welcome to have your opinion. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 5:31pm
Hmmm, I like this MWG better than the "oh, you people are morons and don't know what you're talking about!" one.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

No, the movie as a whole is s***, the single action of the protagonist is just the final insult to the suffering brain.

OK -- you're welcome to have your opinion.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 5:36pm
I couldn't disagree with you more, Vits. I like no music during dramatic moments, it adds realism to the movie. I mean, come on, when in the dramatic moments in your life do you hear music playing in the background, as if it's on cue? It is the climax of the movie, everything has been working up to this moment, so there's no need for MORE suspense through music. 

By the way, 20% for "Birds"? WTF?!

But 100% for "12 Angry Men", can't disagree with that, one of the greatest movies ever. 

Hitchcock's great at suspense and horror,but mostly at suspense,and this movie and THE BIRDS(20%)prove it.Cutting the music to create suspense is a good technique,but in those movies he also cut the music while something was happening(suspense means being afraid of what will happen,not what's happening).Watching James Stewart being chocked with no music(after the whole movie had cheerful comedy music)and listening to nothing but his grouching felt ridiculous!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 10:26am
I think you got it backwards.There was no music during the climax and that's what I hated about it.

I was ready to give a good rating to THE BIRDS,but the ending ruined everything.In case you're thinking I hate Hitchcock,I gave 60% to THE WRONG MAN and 70% to NORTH BY NORTHWEST.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 1:21pm
1. I like the no music in the climax. It's not needed. To me, music is not important to the overall movie, it's just something to use here and there.  

2. Yeah, the ending to the "Birds" is open-ended, but giving it a 0% just for that is a bit much. The movie is still good up to that point.  

I think you got it backwards.There was no music during the climax and that's what I hated about it.

I was ready to give a good rating to THE BIRDS,but the ending ruined everything.In case you're thinking I hate Hitchcock,I gave 60% to THE WRONG MAN and 70% to NORTH BY NORTHWEST.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>