Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2007 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Blonde Ambition 2007 release?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blonde Ambition 2007 release?!
    Posted: December 16 2007 at 12:06pm

Buried way down in a weekly synopsis by MTV News staff writers is the following blurb about whether Blond Ambition starring Jessica Simpson will be shown on the big screen or not:

"Despite UsMagazine.com's Thursday report that Jessica Simpson's "Blond Ambition" flick is going straight to DVD, People.com says the movie actually get a limited theatrical run in the actress' home state of Texas. "Blonde" will be shown in eight theaters starting December 21, and if it does well, could see a wider release, according to the site. The DVD of the comedy — which co-stars another Texas native, Luke Wilson — will hit stores January 22."

I can't confirm this.  Moviefone still lists Blond Ambition as coming out in March 2008, Fandango and Rotten Tomatoes has no release date, IMDb shows it as a video only release and Box Office Mojo doesn't list the movie at all.

So, can anyone confirm a limited release in Texas?  And would such a limited release count towards an appearance on the Razzie nomination ballot? 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Technically, a regional release in Texas only would not qualify a film for RAZZIE® consideration, since we base our "rules" on those of the Academy. Their rules clearly state that only a minimum one week regular admission engagement in either New York or Los Angeles qualifies a film for their awards. But, hey, we're the RAZZIES® and our rules are not written in stone. If, when it comes out on DVD, BLOND AMBITION is even half as bad as its trailer makes it look (LINK) we might be willing to give Mizz Simpson some recognition for the consistent caliber of her work. Bear in mind, though, that Simpson's OTHER potential 2008 release, MAJOR MOVIE STAR (LINK) will likely get a wider release and, since it's apparently a recruiting poster for the US Army disguised as a rip-off of PRIVATE BENJAMIN, it alone could get Simpson back in the RAZZIE® race for next year...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 12:10pm

Here's a link to the People.com article, dated 14 Dec 2007.  Here's what Elizabeth Wolfe, a spokeswoman for both Nu Image/Millennium Films, says about the release:

"It is being released in this crowded marketplace in eight theaters in Texas. The reason we chose Texas is the two stars are from Texas: Jessica Simpson and Luke Wilson. As an independent studio, we, as a rule, don't have major wide releases. It's a very common release practice for independent studios."

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 2:12pm

It gets even more embarrassing.  Apparently, her father won't fork out the bucks to make a proper movie poster.  The paragraph below comes from the top part of MSNBC's celebrity gossip columnist's Courtney Hazlett's Scoop column for 15 Dec 2007:

"That said, there are still signs of spending cuts at Papa Joe Productions. Among the first luxuries to go: photo shoots. “One of Jessica’s shoots can cost upwards of $50,000 to $60,000,” said one person who’s been involved with her shoots in the past. “The movie poster for ‘Blonde Ambition’ is an outtake from her ‘Public Affair’ album shoot, and take a look at the ‘Major Movie Star’ poster — it’s not hard to tell that is actually her GQ cover.” "

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

and if it does well, could see a wider release

If it does well?  LOL, I can't see that happening.

But it seems to be one of those in theaters, no DVD, no theaters, no DVD, no theaters movies (DOA, anyone?).

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 9:26am
It's now "official," BLONDE AMBITION will be released direct-to-DVD January 22, 2008 (Amazon LINK ). Which essentially DIS-qualifies Jessica Simpson as a 2007 or 2008) Worst Actress contender for this film...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 2:38pm

Please excuse as I go crazy with the Internet for this one post.

I went over to Box Office Mojo, and although its release schedule says Blond Ambition is playing at 8 theatres, I found only 7 theatres in Texas that are playing it starting tomorrow.  For any masochistic theatre audiences out there, you can "admire" her attempts at slapstick on the big screen at the following locations and times:

Cinemark Plano Movies 10
1818 Coit Road, Plano, TX
(12:25), (2:40), (4:55), 7:10, 9:30

Cinemark Hollywood USA
4040 South Shiloh Road, Garland, TX
(12:35), (3:00), (5:10), 7:40, 10:00

Cinemark Movies 8 - Lewisville
420 Oak Bend Drive, Lewisville, TX
(2:45), (5:10), 7:25, 9:40

Cinemark Movies 12 - Laredo
5412 San Bernardo, Laredo, TX
(12:25), (2:45), (5:00), 7:15, 9:45

Cinemark Main Place 6
1800 South 16th, McAllen, TX
(12:35), (2:50), (5:05), 7:20, 9:50

Cinemark Movies 8 - Pharr
500 North Jackson & Business Route 83, Pharr, TX
(12:15), (2:30), (4:45), 7:20, 9:35

Cinemark Movies 10 - Harlingen
629 North 13th Street, Harlingen, TX
(12:00), (2:25), (4:50), 7:15, 9:40

Too bad it's not playing in New York or Los Angeles.  It'll be next year before a Razzie award could suggest to Papa Joe that, if he wants to satisfy his daughter's movie ambitions, his money would be better spent on four years of acting lessons.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 6:50am

Looking over this list of brave Texas theatres, it occurred to me--except for Laredo, I haven't heard of any of these cities.  It's not showing in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi, Galveston, San Antonio, Lubbock, Beaumont, Waco, El Paso, Amarillo or even in Simpson's birthplace of Abilene. 

That's sad!

Budgieboy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budgieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 7:53pm
A friend in need is a bloody nuisence
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 5:54am

I just read that article, Budgieboy.  Perez Hilton has glommed onto this?!  I thought we were the only ones interested in this!

Box Office Mojo estimates that Blond Ambition has grossed $1300 in the eight theatres where it was shown (the eighth one was in Brownsville) during this weekend.  Normally, that means that during the entire weekend long, approximately 130 people across Texas paid to see this movie, with the biggest city where it was shown being Laredo.  However, I read some things in the IMDb message board that Blond Ambition may have opened in cheap theatres.  If that's true, the attendance could be 400 or more.

That's worse than Chevy Chase's Funny Money, and at least ThinkFilm had the guts to show that one in Los Angeles and New York!

That is so bad, it's funny.  See, she can make you laugh! . . .

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 5:01pm

It's true!  It's true!  I've checked out the Laredo theatre, and tickets were $1 to $1.50 eachBlonde Ambition opened in cheap theatres!  So, we're talking somewhere between 867 and 1300 people have seen this movie on the big screen.

Maybe Jessica Simpson will "pioneer" movies that would otherwise go direct-to-video opening in cheap theatres? 

Also, Blonde Ambition has apparently picked up an "e" in the spelling of its title.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 2:09pm

Well, on the second to last day of its showing in the cheap theatres of 8 mostly small Texan cities, Blonde Ambition as pulled in $5,561.00.  Now, each ticket cost $1.00 to $1.50, so that means the total audience for the past 13 days was anywhere from just under 3,800 to 5,561.  I'd guess the total number of tickets sold would be somewhere around 4,700.  Now, considering that (1) the price is extremely cheap, (2) this is during the holiday season and (3) this is showing in Jessica Simpson's home state, but on the other hand, (4) all those people gave up an hour and a half of their lives, and (5) all these people come from small cities, I don't have a clue of how this movie would have fared had it been given a wider release.

I'm just disappointed that it wasn't shown in Los Angeles or New York. 

Post Reply Post Reply