Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2014 RELEASES in GENERAL > B.O. MoJo's 2014 Annual Top-Grossers Chart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

B.O. MoJo 2014 YEARLY CHART

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B.O. MoJo 2014 YEARLY CHART
    Posted: January 12 2014 at 10:29am
ONE of OUR MAIN CRITERIA for CHOOSING OUR RAZZIE® CONTENDERS is BOX OFFICE -- and WHAT BETTER WAY to ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THAN with a LINK to B.O. MoJo's YEARLY CHART of 2014's BIGGEST (and BADDEST) BOX OFFICE CHAMPS & CHUMPS?

WE ALSO WELCOME YOU to POST ANY COMMENTS YOU MAY HAVE BELOW...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 3:52am
I have always wondered, why is box-office important?

There have been many bad films that have done well in box-office, like the live-action Transformer movies, and there are many good films that have done poorly in box office, like It's a Wonderful Life.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 5:01am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Box office, as I often explain in interviews about our awards, is essentially "Hollywood's own standard for success or failure." Winning critical praise and/or positive awards are also indications of achievement, but in the movie business, money is the main yardstick that drives careers. 

I'd also like to point out that the whole "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE was a miserable failure when first released" legend is just so much Tinsel Town claptrap -- and I'm unsure where it came from, or how it got started. In 1946/1947, LIFE amassed an initial box office of about $3 million (doesn't sound like much now, but back then that was impressive) and it actually out-grossed another holiday classic, MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, which went into wide release the same year. It also ended up getting 5 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture (IMDb LINK). Hardly what anyone could reasonably call being "sadly overlooked." 

Something about this notion that a now acknowledged classic got the cold shoulder when first released must appeal to Hollywood's fantasies of second chances and eventual redemption, I guess -- But in truth, this is another "legend" that's a canard.

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 5:43am
Wow, I never knew that.

I certainly did know about its Academy Award nominations, however.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 10:08am
Oiram, you also need to consider DVD rentals. And GONE WITH THE WIND is only in the highest-grossing films list when it's adjusted for inflation.

A week ago, they announced that CATCHING FIRE was the highest-grossing film of 2013. It's true, but only domestically. Worldwide, IRON-MAN PART 3 is still #1.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply