Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices > LAND OF THE LOST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

B.O. MoJo #s for LAND OF THE LOST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B.O. MoJo #s for LAND OF THE LOST
    Posted: June 08 2009 at 2:16am

It's rare that the too-often-in-bed-with-the-Industry Los Angeles Times admits a movie is a total box office bomb. But when the $100 million remake of LAND OF THE LOST (whose ad budget is estimated to be $40+ million) opened to a pitiful $19 million, the Times not only couldn't put a happy spin on it, they went for the jugular, captioning a photo from LOST with the word "doomed," and including this startling sentence in their print coverage of the June 5 weekend box office: "Obviously aware it had a movie that would not be well-liked, the studio didn't attempt to build word of mouth."

To see if LOST lives down to the Times' dire predictions ("it will probably gross less than $50 million") here's a LINK to the B.O. MoJo page for the day-to-day grosses on LAND OF THE LOST... 

UPDATE: The news for LOST was even worse when final figures came out Monday afternoon -- HANGOVER beat it by nearly 5-to-2, and LOST didn't even make it to $19 million. To make a bad situation for Universal and Will Ferrell still worse, The L.A. Times ran an extensive article on the front page of their Calendar section Tuesday, dissecting why HANGOVER succeeded and LOST failed. 

The article ends with a fabulous critic's quote from Lou Lumenick of The New York Post, saying LOST "does not seem aimed at any identifiable demographic escept fans of bad movies!" Here's a LINK to read what borders on being an obituary for Ferrell's movie career...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:19am

If it does end up making less than $50 million, it will definitely be considered a Box Office Bomb. Semi-Pro wasn't close to reaching $35 million.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:35am

I hope LOST makes less then 50 mil. Then maybe (just maybe) someone will finally realize that Will Ferrell is not good in movies (unless he shows up in some kind of small Cameo role). Using him as the star is just a bad idea. I also feel bad for Anna Friel. After her show Pushing Daisies got cancelled, she had to move on to crap like this? Damn you ABC, look what you've driven her to! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So, CriticalFrank, you are the other fan of PUSHING DAISES?? For those who loved it as my family and I did, the final episodes are being "played out" by ABC in a Saturday night time slot for the next few weeks...

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:18pm
I watched Pushing Daises a LITTLE bit... Creative, interesting show, but not for me. LotL will doubtfully make 50m at this point... Lucky to hit 40, realistically.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:38pm
So apparently, it was me and the Headrazz trying to keep the Daisies alive... Sad. And I'm kinda pissed off, my local cable station decided to play one of the episodes, and then pre-empt it for a 2 hour long WEATHER broadcast. It's not like there isn't a whole...I don't know...WEATHER CHANNEL! Depriving me of my final chances to see the pie maker and his dead girlfriend... bastards.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:47pm
From a local stations standpoint, they have to cut in for weather for the people who don't have cable, and only have those few options. Otherwise, people get blamed for not warning people, blahblahblah.... It's a big deal for them to cover. But having sat through FOUR HOURS and some change of weather cutins, I can't believe HOW they're even capable of talking for that long. As much as it sucks, there are some people out there who get really pissed when there's not enough coverage. I'm not trying to be "that" guy, defending it, I hate it as much as anyone else, but having been behind the scenes for some of these, including 3 short cut ins I've had to do today, I just thought I'd share some of the other side, that you aren't going to immediately think of.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 1:44pm
I was confused myself that a good actress like Anna Friel was in this movie. I guess she fell victim to the old "my rent is due, I have to accept whichever script is put in front of me" trick.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I hope LOST makes less then 50 mil. Then maybe (just maybe) someone will finally realize that Will Ferrell is not good in movies (unless he shows up in some kind of small Cameo role). Using him as the star is just a bad idea. I also feel bad for Anna Friel. After her show Pushing Daisies got cancelled, she had to move on to crap like this? Damn you ABC, look what you've driven her to! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: So, CriticalFrank, you are the other fan of PUSHING DAISES?? For those who loved it as my family and I did, the final episodes are being "played out" by ABC in a Saturday night time slot for the next few weeks...

Actually, I watch the show too but didn't realize it was on at Saturday nights until two days before. It was a fantastic show while it lasted.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:53am
If the stations were so concerned with the weather, they could have turned on one of those tickers at the bottom... or done something that would not have completely pre-empted all programing for 2 full hours....
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:09pm
That means reading though. We know that never works. Think about how much people avoid anything that's foreign and not dubbed.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:33pm
Yeah, but if it meant I wouldn't have to miss one of the last episodes of Pushing Daisies, those slack-jawed locals can learn to read for a damn hour... or possibly turn on a different channel...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:40pm
I believe if you're slack-jawed, you're a yokel.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:31am
Well, my slack-jawed locals are slightly higher class than the yokels... The Yokels live down the road.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:00pm
Cletus' brood is mighty indeed. Twould be quite terrifying to be a slack-jawed local and need to compete with that.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 12:23pm
Cletus' brood is the stuff of legends. Him and his 15 girlfriends, and their 107 children, all of them being supported by the state, mind you. They have the makings of a small inbred army, which is why I keep petitioning my local government to put up barricades against possible invasion of the yokels.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:20pm
Well, you know what they say... Some folks'll never lose a toe, and then again, some folk'll, like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>