Forum Home Forum Home > Forums on 2008 RAZZIE® "Winners" > Uwe Boll's POSTAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

B.O. MoJo #s for POSTAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B.O. MoJo #s for POSTAL
    Posted: May 27 2008 at 4:52am

It's 10am/PST on the Tuesday after Memorial Day weekend, and there are still no numbers for POSTAL listed at B.O. MoJo. Since their weekend estimated chart went clear down to titles grossing a paltry $20,050, we can surmise that in its 4-theatre debut, POSTAL must have taken in even less than that.

Until (and unless) actual numbers do post, here's a LINK to the B.O. MoJo page with the FOREIGN crosses for POSTAL, showing that on a budget of $15 million (fairly small for Boll) POSTAL has taken in all of...$142,761...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 9:37am
Even more embarrassing, I just found the page at B.O. Mojo that lists grosses for the 4-Day Memorial weekend (LINK) -- It goes all the way down to films taking in $5,400 -- and Uwe's "Postal" is STILL not listed...
Everything SUX!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 4:39pm
Well, since In The Name Of The Thing is going for $14.99 a pop on the
iTunes Movie Store, I guess Postal will go for $19.99
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 1:57am

This is odd.  Either the theatres are not providing the grosses for Postal...the theatres where Postal is playing don't participate in the surveys at all...or Box Office Mojo decided not to provide Postal's totals -- which is highly unlikely (as unlikely as the other two scenarios are).

I mean, Postal only hauled in $142,000 in Boll's home country of Germany.  What could be more embarrassing after that?

A videogame called Postal III is coming out.  Verne Troyer provides the voice of the Krotchy dolls.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 3:07am

Here are two additional "theories" as to why we aren't seeing grosses for POSTAL on B.O. MoJo:

If I understand the process correctly, it is the distributors (and not the theatre owners) who report grosses -- and MoJo lists POSTAL's distributor as "unknown" (LINK). So... 

1)  Maybe whoever was dumb enough to distribute the film is so low-end they have no way of getting their numbers posted... 

OR (MORE LIKELY)... 

2) Maybe the distributor was dumb enough to release POSTAL, but not dumb enough to admit the embarrassingly low grosses it achieved after Boll's ludicrous "look out, Indiana Jones" boast... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 3:57pm

The distributor in question would have been Freestyle Releasing, which was responsible for The Illusionist (a great movie), An American Haunting (er) and Dragon Wars, as well as In the Name of the King.  ITNOTK was the first of three movies Freestyle was supposed to distribute, the other two being Postal and Seed.  Obviously, Freestyle bailed.

There were three companies listed at the beginning of Postal.  One, of course, is Boll's company.  Another is Brightlight Pictures, which, if you peruse the films they've released, is a rogues gallery of Razzie favorites, including most of Boll's films except for the upcoming Seed, as well as Wicker Man, Slither and this year's 88 Minutes.  The third is Running With Scissors, the videogame developer responsible for bringing us two of the most offensively violent videogames based on sheer carnage (and the "inspiration" for Boll's movie): Postal and Postal 2. 

My guess (which is all I can do since I'm not in the movie business) is that the non-industry company, Running With Scissors, is who put the movie in the theatres.  Would anyone in the industry support a sureshot box office bomb?  Well, there's always the scenario played out by The Producers, but Postal could only dream it was as good as Springtime for Hitler

If either scenario you suggested is true, and if my guess is correct, that should explain it.  Running With Scissors doesn't know enough to get the box office posted.

It's funny reading the RWS forum for the movie.  It doesn't name who paid for the movie to appear in the theatres, but there's three theories given why it isn't in more theatres: (1) it's too offensive (I don't believe it), (2) Uwe Boll's slag of Roth, Bay and Spielberg caused the industry to conspire against him (yeah, right) and (3) Uwe Boll films tank at the box office.

Post Reply Post Reply