Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Capone Rising: DePalma & Cage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capone Rising: DePalma & Cage
    Posted: May 19 2007 at 10:00am

Despite their disappointing outings last year (The Black Dahlia, The Wicker Man), Brian De Palma and Nicolas Cage are teaming up for the Untouchables prequel "Capone Rising". Where Cage will play the legendary gangster. What do you guys think. On one hand Cage was good in the two gangster roles he's had in his career (The Cotton Club, and Kiss of Death), on the other hand only two of the four major film Al Capones have been good (Rod Steiger and Robert De Niro, respectively) the other two ( A miscast Jason Robards, and Ben Gazzera) were, to be kind, not up to par. I think that it will be good, any other opinions?

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 3:41am
I wasn't a big fan of the original 'The Untouchables' but it was a masterpiece when compared to the crap that De Palma's last few movies have been. I hope this movie redeems both De Palma and Cage, whos career is also turning crappy.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 1:13pm

Nic jumped off. Good call. I LOVED the original, but this one'll bomb. de Palma has lost his touch. In the original one the "baby carriage" scene was great film making. That 2 minutes, alone, was better than de Palma's last four movies combined!

Response from Head RAZZberry: It's unclear from your posting if you're aware that the entiure "baby carriage" sequence in UNTOUCHABLES was Brian dePalma's "homage" (French for "rip-off") of the famous "Odessa steps" sequence from Sergei Eisenstein's Russian silent film classic POTEMKIN. If you played the two scenes side-by-side, you'd see they match almost frame-for-frame. Here's a LINK to POTEMKIN's IMDb page to see how many other films have also done "homages" to it.

The best that can be said for UNTOUCHABLES is that for once, five-time RAZZIE nominee dePalama was ripping off someone other than his "mentor" Alfred Hitchcock. And while dePalma's "baby carriage" scene was certainly competent, the argument could also be made that it was technically no better done than the recent Coke commercial doing a parody of it... 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 7:55am
Nicholas Cage as Capone?  You have to be kidding?
I've liked Cage in a few movies, but most of the time he looks drugged or looks like he just woke up from an all nighter.   The man has talent, but his looks make it all to easy to mis-cast him.
Capone was a short, heavy set Sicilian from New York, Robert DeNiro played him best, everyone else  sucks!
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
 Post Reply Post Reply