Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2013 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

CARRIE (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CARRIE (2013)
    Posted: October 18 2013 at 8:26pm
Remakes are now so over-used and butchered, that people these days no longer feel excitement, but rather have a sense of "Oh well, lets get this crap over with!" However, this particular reimagining of Carrie is one of those remakes that makes some people go "what's the point?"  

Yes, this remake has good (and well respected) actors
Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, as well as director Kimberly Peirce. However, there have been many examples of films that have had good filmmakers behind them, but still came out mediocre at best. While some would argue that this is not so bad as far as remakes are concerned, the original Brian De Palma Carrie is so recognizable and was so well-received that people, again, will ask "What's the point?" This would be especially true if you feel nothing in this version was "fixed" to make the story better.

Does anyone else think this deserves any attention from the 
Razzies?

Worst Career Achievement: Kim Jong-Un
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 9:37pm
I was about to set up a forum on this, but you beat me to it. I'm both angry that I was leap-frogged by you, and kind of glad because now I can get to my review faster.  

Most remakes are pointless and have no reason to exist. This Carrie remake, on the other hand, actually had potential. Bullying is in the news every week and parents are deeply concerned about it. However, this film completely botches that potential. 

The sole bright spot of the film is Chloe Moretz as Carrie. A lot of people complained that Moretz is too pretty to be Carrie, but in the novel Carrie's not ugly. In fact, she's described as looking beautiful at the prom. Moretz gives a great performance, much better than the film deserves.

Julianne Moore is not good as Margaret. She plays her as less than an insanely religious mother and more as a scenery-chewing cartoon character who bangs her head against the wall for some reason. The script doesn't do any favors, but I'll get to it in the next paragraph. Also bad is Portia Doubleday as Chris. Her bland performance can't compare to Nancy Allen's in the original.

Easily the worst thing about the film is the script. It blows every chance to be meaningful and tones down the darkness to be more crowd-pleasing. Bullying was an important part of the original film and is a massive issue nowadays, especially cyber-bullying (and gay-bashing). Well guess what: the film does literally nothing new with bullying. I can kind of understand why gay bashing isn't in the film since Carrie being straight is important to the story, but the lack of cyber-bullying is baffling. Carrie barely knows how to use the Internet; she has to get help to make a video be full-screen. One could argue that the film's version of the infamous period scene showing up on YouTube and shown after she gets the big blood dumped on her could count as cyber-bullying, but a.) Carrie doesn't know of its existance until the prom and b.) it could have been recorded on DVD and it would still traumatize her the same as a YouTube video. The film's handling of the prom scene is badly done. In the original, Carrie killed everyone there because she "lost it." She's been picked on her whole life, and then gets horribly "pranked" at what should be the best moment in her entire life. She loses track of her sanity and no one, nice or mean, is spared. In this one, only the bullies die by her hands. And not only are they her only casualties at the prom, the way that the death scenes are shoot is obviously meant to be crowd-pleasing. So she's turned from a scared little girl who lashes out violently at an abusive world into a teen-age girl version of Charles Bronson.

The high school girls who sat behind me seemed to like the movie more than me. 

My Grade: D+

Next-up: One Missed Call!

FYC
Worst Supporting Actress: Julianne Moore
Worst Screenplay
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off, or Sequel 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 9:35am
I thought that was one of the (few, according to you) updates of the story. Back then, popularity was mostly defined by beauty. Nowadays it still happens, it's not uncommon for an attractive teen to be the loser/outcast/bullied. There are other factors.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

A lot of people complained that Moretz is too pretty to be Carrie, but in the novel Carrie's not ugly. In fact, she's described as looking beautiful at the prom.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 9:44am
I mentioned it because a lot of people, especially on the imdb boards, are dismissing the film because they think Moretz is too pretty to be Carrie. They shouldn't dismiss it because of that.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
AndP View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 9:36pm
After this review (LINK) I think Carrie ought to be considered for some Razzie categories. 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 11:16am
I went to the movies and saw it. For your consideration: Worst Supp. Actor for Ansel Elgort.
Originally posted by AndP

After this review (LINK) I think Carrie ought to be considered for some Razzie categories.

Warning! The guy in that link talks really fast.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply