Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 28th Annual RAZZIE® "Winners" > NORBIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Chew the Fat Regarding NORBIT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chew the Fat Regarding NORBIT
    Posted: February 28 2007 at 3:48am

SO WHY DID EDDIE MURPHY AGREE to STAR in BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE III?? 

NOT SURPRISINGLY, HIS LATEST OUTING in LATEX HASN'T EXACTLY BEEN a CRITICAL DARLING...BUTT FEEL FREE to LET US KNOW WHATCHOO THINK BELOW...

Eddie: "Whatchoo mean, this cellulite cost me an Oscar? And where would I put it if I had won one...Wait a minute, don't answer that!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 9:13am
If you go to YouTube, and look up Black Snake Moan, you'll see Richard Roper and Kevin Smith (who is sitting in for Roger Ebert) giving their Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down reviews -- and giving "Norbit" two Thumbs way down.
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 11:51am
While the Big Mamma's House movies are not very good, they're at least a little bit clever in the way they make fun of Southern matriarchs. But Norbit has the stupidest, lamest, most tasteless and least funny fat jokes you'll ever see.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 8:46am
ICK! Looking at that image of Eddie as a fat lady just reminded me of The Nutty Professor, which also starred Eddie. I know some people don't believe in Oscar curses, but now it seems like Eddie is being struck with one, and going back to where he was before he got the Oscar nomination...
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:26am
Murphy no doubt blew his chance of ever being nominated again when he stormed out of the Academy Awards after he lost. Can't we try to cheer him up, and give him a Razzie next year for "Norbit"?
Fred Cooper
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 4:34pm
It just occurred to me earlier today: Since he plays 3 distinct characters in NORBIT, Eddie Murphy could technically be eligible for 3 separate RAZZIE nominations for this one film: As Worst Actor for playing Norbit, as Worst Actress for playing Rasputia, and as Worst Supporting Actor for playing Mr. Wong. If this did happen, it would set a new RAZZIE record...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 2:06am
...and Worst Screen Couple for any two of the three above mentioned characters...
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 9:13am

No, I think at the most he should be nominated for Worst Actress (as Rasputia) and Worst Screen Couple: Eddie Murphy (as Norbit) and Eddie (as Rasputia).

I read one critic's review that said Murphy does a good job in creating three distinct characters but he is working with incredibly weak material and his talents can do nothing to save this movie.

According to IMDb, Murphy helped write the screenplay by providing the story. Maybe that's where he should get a Razzie, in the Worst Screenplay category. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: If he did "win" Worst Screenplay for 2007, it would be his second in that category. Murphy already  "won" a Worst Screenplay RAZZIE for HARLEM NIGHTS in 1989...

ArtGirl138 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArtGirl138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 3:26pm

God...why on EARTH would Eddie Murphy think this was a decent idea for a movie? And just when we thought he was going to have a comeback after Dreamgirls...

Seriously, I can't think of any reason for this movie to exist other than to A) Ruin Eddie's Oscar chances (which it did), or B) Make a fat - no pun intended - wad of cash (which it did).

Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:08pm

Has anyone looked at this? I just saw that Norbit is #98 on the 100 Worst-Reviewed Films of All Time on Rotten Tomatoes...

Speaking of the RT list, Head RAZZ, why not add two more films that came out this year to the 2007 Potential Razzie Contenders Forum? "Code Name: The Cleaner" is #39 on the 100 Worst-Reviewed Films of All Time on Rotten Tomatoes, and "Because I Said So" is at #54 on that list...

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 2:37pm
Word is Eddie'll be reviving Axel Foley soon as well, with Beverly Hills Cop 4.  The question is, will the character still be relevant today (and have decent enough script material to back him up)? Unlike many others, I didn't really find BHC Part III that bad: sure, there was a sense of fatigue about it and it certainly didn't help that John Landis was rusty after being away for so long following the Twilight Zone debacle, and they did fail to milk every joke as well as they could have. But what they did come up with I thought was at least passable...  
tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:19pm

He's Back and this time he brining a Friend along to be Razzied

Stand-up Williams lays down law for Murphy comedy

Stand-up comedian Katt Williams will write and star in DreamWorks Pictures' comedy "Marshals." Eddie Murphy will produce and is set to co-star.

The story revolves around the first black marshals of the Old West.

Murphy and Williams recently teamed on DreamWorks' box office hit "Norbit," in which Williams played Lord Have Mercy.

Williams embarked on a U.S. stand-up tour this weekend that kicked off with two sold-out shows at Radio City Music Hall. His credits include the DVD "The Pimp Chronicles Part 1," which aired in September on HBO. He recently shot his follow-up "The Pimp Chronicles Part 2" in Chicago.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 4:05am

Here's my list of some of the RAZZIE noms this film deserves:

Worst Picture

Worst Actor: Eddie Murphy

Worst Actress: Eddie Murphy (in drag!)

Worst Suppoting Actor: Eddie Murphy (as Mr. Wrong)

Worst Supporting Actor: Cuba Gooding, Jr.

Worst Supporting Actor: Marlon Wayans

Worst Director: Brian Robbins

Worst Screenplay: Eddie Murphy & Charles Q. Murphy

Worst Screen Couple: Eddie Murphy and either himself in-drag or Thandie Newton

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 2:07pm
Check this out, Head RAZZ, this does look strange, but it's all true. Apparently Thandie Newton was so infuriated with Eddie Murphy's on-set behavior she considered quitting the production more than once.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 6:29am
Update from Box Office Mojo: NORBIT is still standing at $95.3 Million at the U.S. Box Office. And I'm not exactly sure if this movie will ever make it past the $100 million dollar mark at the U.S. Box Office.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 1:30pm
TRIVIA: In the USA, this was originally rated R but, was reduced to PG-13 on appeal. I wonder, could re-ratings be one of the new perks of Hollywood?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>