Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 28th Annual RAZZIE® "Winners" > NORBIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Chew the Fat Regarding NORBIT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chew the Fat Regarding NORBIT
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 1:57pm

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.  Clearly the ratings board is so out of whack that they probably wouldn't have much resistance to a desperate executive who offers them several million and new luxury cars for services rendered.  

Response from Head RAZZberry: You're not suggesting the MPAA Ratings Board is susceptable to being swayed, are you? Ever since they gave the original EXORCIST an "R" nearly 35 years ago (at the time, many movie-goers thought it deserved an "X"!) they've had a rep for being "flexible" regarding what ratings they give major studio product... 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 9:04am

FYC - Possible nominations for Norbit  
WORST PICTURE,
WORST DIRECTOR (Brian Robbins)
WORST ACTOR (Eddie Murphy as Norbit)
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Eddie Murphy as Mr. Wong)
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Marlon Wayans)
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Cuba Gooding Jr.)
WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (Eddie Murphy as Rasputia)
WORST SCREEN COUPLE (Eddie Murphy & anyone who shares the screen with him)
WORST SCREENPLAY  

Response from Head RAZZberry: I assume you, like I, just saw this on DVD. I did not find myself laughing even once -- Cringing, yes, several times. I agree with you on all of the above (but some might argue Rasputia was a "leading" role). I am also mulling whether NORBIT deserves a Worst Remake or Rip-Off nod, since it is arguably a rip-off of Eddie Murphy's own remake of Jerry Lewis' NUTTY PROFESSOR... 

moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 1:49pm

Proposed new category: Worst Behavior by a Major Star. And the Razzie goes to...Eddie Murphy. The guy is totally obnoxious in every interview I've seen him do. Will he ever grow up? I mean, he has 7 or 8 kids now, doesn't he? 

Fred Cooper
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 5:39pm

How stupid is Eddie Murphy?!?!?!?!?!?! If he'd never made this movie, he might have an Oscar for DREAMGIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Head RAZZberry: Or if he'd had the sense to ask that NORBIT's release be delayed until after Oscar balloting closed earlier this year. But one gets the impression from his promotional efforts on behalf of NORBIT that Eddie Murphy's actually proud of this film (after all, he not only played multiple roles, he co-wrote the horrendous screenplay). But proud enough to show up and accept a statuette if he "wins" a RAZZIE or two for it?? Guess we'll find out come next February... 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:33am

I can't imagine "Norbit" or Eddie Murphy not winning a Razzie this year! I mean, he got away with not winning for "Pluto Nash", "I Spy", and "Showtime," but I think this may be his year. "Norbit" is definitely a frontrunner for WORST PICTURE and for WORST ACTOR. Even though it should be a frontrunner for WORST ACTRESS, I think with all the media she's getting, Lindsay Lohan is probably everyone's favorite so far to win. PLEASE RAZZIE VOTERS, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THIS MOVIE WHEN IT IS TIME TO NOMINATE FILMS ON THIS YEAR'S NOMINATING BALLOT. Thanks. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: I have gone back-and-forth as to whether Murphy's portrayal of "Rasputia" qualifies him for Worst Actress or Worst Supporting -- A solid case could be made for either. Putting him in Supporting would leave the field open for him to possibly (and deservedly!)  "win" at least two RAZZIES for this one film (and still let Lindsay Lohan maybe "win" an equally deserved Worst Actress award) so that's how I'm leaning at this point. Eddie's portrayal of "Mr. Wong" (perhaps the most offensive of his three characters) also qualifies him as Worst Supporting Actor...and the tantalizing possiblility of a first-ever three-RAZZIES-in-one-year "winning" streak for a single performer... 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 11:20am
This made "Epic Movie" look good!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 7:31am

I bet they'll parody "Norbit" in "Epic Movie 2". Who do you think they'll get to play Rasputia?

Tracy Morgan? Cedric the Entertainer? Martin Lawrence? Marlon or Shawn Wayans? RuPaul? Beyonce? 50 Cent? Cuba Gooding Jr.?

This one is a question for the ages... 

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

This made "Epic Movie" look good!

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 2:13am

What made Big Momma's House a good movie (trust me, I really liked it) is that it wasn't trying to be offensive, sick, and mean spirited. Big Momma's House was actually a "serious comedy," because it wasn't always fun and laughs. I thought it was really good with the comedy and the family issues, which almost made me cry (I know, I'm a sucker for sappy comedies).

But Norbit was just plain un-funny. There was nothing in it...just a waste of my time and Murphy's talent.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 8:44am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

What made Big Momma's House a good movie (trust me, I really liked it) is that it wasn't trying to be offensive, sick, and mean spirited. Big Momma's House was actually a "serious comedy," because it wasn't always fun and laughs. I thought it was really good with the comedy and the family issues, which almost made me cry (I know, I'm a sucker for sappy comedies). But Norbit was just plain unfunny. There was nothing in it...just a waste of tme and talent.
                                                                          movietwitguy's actually making sense!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 5:13pm

Bad news:  Eddie plans to re-team with this director on 2 more future projects (despite the fact the guy is clearly incompetent to the T).  With a Fantasy Island remake on his slate as well, it's probably safe to say that his recent divorce blew all of Eddie's fuses.  Until he can get them repaired, he should just stick to voicing that Donkey -- the one thing he can still do right! 

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 5:45pm

Do you think it's because he dumped Scary Spice, or because Scary is having his baby?

DADDY!!!!!

Originally posted by wetbandit82

Bad news:  Eddie plans to re-team with this director on 2 more future projects (despite the fact the guy is clearly incompetent to the T).  With a Fantasy Island remake on his slate as well, it's probably safe to say that his recent divorce blew all of Eddie's fuses.  Until he can get them repaired, he should just stick to voicing that Donkey -- the one thing he can still do right! 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 3:50am

Eddie and the director of "Norbit" are also re-teaming to do the Razzie-worthy looking dud "Starship Dave".

WTF? Shouldn't He Have Learned By Now?!?! He lost the freakin' Oscar because he made a terrible movie! What an idiot.

Response from Head RAZZberry: And after the multiply-RAZZIE-nominated box office disaster that was PLUTO NASH, you'd think NOBODY would ever want to send Eddie Murphy up into space again...on-screen, we mean. After PLUTO and NORBIT, many people might wish Murphy could be jettisoned from our planet for real... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 8:12am
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Do you think it's because he dumped Scary Spice, or because Scary is having his baby?

DADDY!!!!!

Reportedly, Eddie has never meet the baby he had with Scary Spice.
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 1:08pm
"Norbit" is one of the semi-finalts in the Best Makeup category for this year's Oscars (LINK).

Nadir007 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nadir007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 5:34am

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.  Clearly the ratings board is so out of whack that they probably wouldn't have much resistance to a desperate executive who offers them several million and new luxury cars for services rendered.  

Response from Head RAZZberry: You're not suggesting the MPAA Ratings Board is susceptable to being swayed, are you? Ever since they gave the original EXORCIST an "R" nearly 35 years ago (at the time, many movie-goers thought it deserved an "X"!) they've had a rep for being "flexible" regarding what ratings they give major studio product... 

(Off topic note) heheh. They gave The Shining the rating Kubrick wanted (eg not R) because he said the scene with the elevator door opening, pouring blood everywhere, wasn't blood but rusty water. Convincing. I'll buy that. That was the scene the ratings people at the time had most problem with, not the emerging theme of the leading male character using a large axe to kill his own family, strangely enough.

Ironicly, and probably the most funny thing about Norbit, the official tag line is
"Have you ever made a really big mistake?". Obviously, yes.

The rating on IMDB, a generous 3.6/10, is heading towards (given their weighting system that marginalises very low or very high votes) the bottom 100 and may out under-score Murphy's own record-beating Adventures of Pluto Nash (most money ever lost in a film) in the awfulness stakes. The statistics on IMDB show males under 18 to be the ones giving Norbit the highest scores. Who would have thought?

"So this is like a cross between a movie and a piece of lint?" Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Nadir007 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nadir007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 5:52am
Originally posted by Criss808

Eddie and the director of "Norbit" are also re-teaming to do the Razzie-worthy looking dud "Starship Dave".

WTF? Shouldn't He Have Learned By Now?!?! He lost the freakin' Oscar because he made a terrible movie! What an idiot.

Response from Head RAZZberry: And after the multiply-RAZZIE-nominated box office disaster that was PLUTO NASH, you'd think NOBODY would ever want to send Eddie Murphy up into space again...on-screen, we mean. After PLUTO and NORBIT, many people might wish Murphy could be jettisoned from our planet for real... 

I knew someone would have to mention Nash. Pam Grier must have looked back on Women In Cages and thought how much better those days were.

Fantasy Island? Does he get to play both Montalban AND the midget? And all of the guests... and the plain and, and, and... the island itself...????
"So this is like a cross between a movie and a piece of lint?" Mystery Science Theatre 3000
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>