Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:33pm
This episode includes WORKING GIRL and ALL THAT JAZZ (skip to 01:27):

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 1:59pm
This episode includes COOL HAND LUKE and DOG DAY AFTERNOON:

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 10:45am
This episode includes FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (skip to 01:56):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 8:30am
After many years, I re-watched CENTRAL DO BRASIL (CENTRAL STATION).

I really liked how they avoided the contrived melodrama (I kept expecting DORA to slap JOSUÉ because he kept insulting her, but instead she knew how to handle it properly). And it's well acted, but a lot of the twists are predictable. And it's not as insightful as it thinks it is.

I give it a 7/10.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:10pm
During these days of bed rest, I re-watched 2 classics:

1) RESERVOIR DOGS: I agree with what the majority says about this movie, except that I hated Tim Roth's performance. Too over-the-top, even for a guy who's dying. And most of what we see in the flashbacks isn't needed. The characters are already established with what they present in... well, the present. I noticed something I didn't the first time around: Although MR. ORANGE was in fact a cop, JOE says "Proof isn't needed when you've got instinct". Ummm... That's stupid. You can't go around acussing people without evidence. That line changed everything, and therefore, MR. WHITE was right in defending him in that sense. Any thoughts on this? Anyway, I give it an 8/10.

2) THE ELEPHANT MAN: It was too hard to make this movie without cheesy moments, and it does have them, but mostly they're honest. It's impossible not to cry at least once during the last 30-40 minutes. Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt are very good. By the way, when JOHN MERRICK meets FREDERICK TREEVES' wife, he starts crying and says "I'm not used to beautiful women being nice to me". Ummm... what about the hospital nurses? Sure, one of them screamed when he first saw him (which is understandable since she wasn't prepared), but after that, they treated him as nicely as the doctors. What a jerk!
LOL
Anyway, I give it a 7/10.

Fun fact: Both movies could've scored 100% on Rotten Tomatoes if it wasn't for a couple of reviews. In both cases, the "rotten" reviews were written by Roger Ebert (although they were actually just average). While it's normal to disagree, I think some of the repliers went too far. (link 1) (link 2). Do you?
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Vits

That being said, it was very refresing to me (a guy who's in his 20's in 2012/13) to see that action doesn't need excessive editing. All you need are the right angles, intense music and actors that actually trained and put effort into the choreography.

YES!!! Why don't action directors today understand that overuse of editing ruins everything? Granted, it's not as bad as shaky-cam, but still.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 8:13am
12 (well, 13) years later, I re-watched CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

Did anyone else feel that the scene in the desert ruined the movie? You see, if you use a flashback during the middle, it can't be too long or it's going to slow down the plot. And the plot was already not advancing much by that point. It would've worked much better if it had been shown in several short flashbacks throughout the movie.

I'm not trying to make the movie sound like it wasn't deep (it was), but the plot could've been solved in a lot less time. Complex themes don't equal a story with enough material.

That being said, it was very refresing to me (a guy who's in his 20's in 2012/13) to see that action doesn't need excessive editing. All you need are the right angles, intense music and actors that actually trained and put effort into the choreography. The best part was Zhang Ziyi's performance.

I give it a 7/10.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 12:34pm
My comments on DIRTY DANCING (and its sequel (skip to 03:10)):

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 4:56pm
So... I was getting ready to see ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, when my aunt told me that she had seen it, and warned me that it had an ambiguous ending. Because of how she said it, I was expecting something surreal. Nope, it's just something that you have to analyze for a few minutes (tops).

It currently ranks #17 (out of 19) in my all-time best list. And you know what? JAWS (one of the movies OFOTCN defeated for Best Picture) is #9.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 12:45pm
This episode includes GHOST (1990). Skip to 04:10.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 12:56pm
Skip to 03:05.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 10:47am
Skip to 03:15.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 2:34pm
I just saw PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE. Has it been long enough (10 years) so it can be considered a classic?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 3:46pm
Skip to 02:04.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 10:33am
Skip to 03:36.

Any thoughts?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 1:14pm
Skip to 02:53 (or 02:28, if you don't get the very first joke).

Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>