Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: June 28 2012 at 9:21pm
Today I watched The Big Heat (really awesome, A+) and two Luis Bunuel films, his Salvador Dali collaboration Un Chien Andalou and Bellee De Jour (both get A-). Un Chien Andalou is only 16 minutes long and is on YouTube.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:59am
Over the past few days I've seen Blowup (A), The Big Red One (B+), and The Dirty Dozen (A+, The Expendables should have been like this.)

I've gotten Pandroa's Box, Decalogue, Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, Enter The Dragon, and, because my niece is going to be in town, a collection of vintage Mickey Mouse shorts (including Steamboat Willie) from the Le Moyne library.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 3:53pm
Skip to 03:54.

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 6:48pm
3 Women: Really good. Robert Altman's direction is great, the score is amazing, and the acting is good. How did this not get any Oscar nods? Grade: A+

La Belle Noiseuse: A deeply moving tale about a reclusive artist who gets back into the game. Also, it has an INSANE amount of nudity in it. Grade: A+

New movies I picked up: Evil Dead.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 8:00pm
F*CK YEAH!, EVIL DEAD!
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 5:49pm
Cabiria: Really good! It moves at a brisk pace for the first hour, but kinda slows down towards the end. Has good action scenes that still hold up. Grade: A+

Enter The Dragon: Insanely awesome. Great action scenes with an explosive finale, but the script is kinda light. Grade: A-

Pandora's Box: Started really good, but slowed down immensly towards the end. Grade: B+

Movies I picked up today: Bob Le Flambeur (Criterion release), A Cry In The Dark ("A dingo ate my baby"), A Face In The Crowd, A Fish Called Wanda, The Formula (one of the first Worst Picture nominees), and a collection of Frankenstein films including the Boris Karloff original, Bride, Son, Ghost, and House.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 3:48pm
Bob Le Flambeur: Really good. The score is amazing, the acting is good, and the camera work is deft. Grade: A+

A Fish Called Wanda: Kinda overrated. It's a good movie, but not as good as most people say it is. Grade: B+

The Formula: Boring! A good performance from George C. Scott can't save this movie. Grade: C-

Frankenstein: Really good and creepy in many places. Grade: A-

Bride Of Frankenstein: A masterpiece. The first movie to enter my top 100 in a few monthes. Grade: A+

Son Of Frankenstein: Not as good as the last two, but still good. Bela Lugosi stole the show as Ygor, but Boris Karloff didn't get enough screentime. Grade: B

Gertie The Dinosaur: One of the most revolutionary animated films ever. It can be found on YouTube. Grade: A+

Movies I picked up: The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse and The Leopard.

I was wondering about something: should I let short films on my best ever list? When I say short films, I don't mean super old movies that are short by today's standards, but regular length back then like A Trip To The Moon or Gertie. Like, should I add Duck Amuck to my best ever list?
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 4:58pm
I would add either Gertie, Duck Amuck, Steamboat Willie (or even What's Opera Doc?) to my list of best cartoon shorts.

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I was wondering about something: should I let short films on my best ever list? When I say short films, I don't mean super old movies that are short by today's standards, but regular length back then like A Trip To The Moon or Gertie. Like, should I add Duck Amuck to my best ever list?

Pictures move, do they?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 10:09am
A Face In The Crowd: A f*cking masterpiece! Andy Griffith is great and the fact that this got zero Oscar nods is a f*cking shame! Grade: A+

The Ghost Of Frankenstein: Kinda dissapointing. It's not bad and Bela Lugosi still steals the show, but Boris Karloff's exit from the franchise is an albatross around the movie's neck. Grade: B-

House Of Frankenstein: An utter letdown. Dracula barely gets any screentime and the final fight with The Wolfman and Frankenstein's monster is anti-climatic. The acting is decent though. Grade: C+

New movies: Drugstore Cowboy, Fury, Gojira, and Grave Of Fireflies.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 2:35pm
A Cry In The Dark: OK. Not as good as some of Streep's other performances, but it's not bad. Grade: B-

Drugstore Cowboy: Really good. Future Razzie winner Gus Van Sant does good at directing and look for future Boogie Nights/Hangover star Heather Graham as a junkie with a sad fate. Grade: B+

Evil Dead: A horror classic. Good as it is, I still prefer the sequel. Grade: B+

The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse: Really good. The special effects are really good for their time and the story is great. Grade: A+

New movies: Grand Illusion (Criterion release), Gun Crazy, Harold And Maude, and The Freshman.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 3:09pm
Is it wrong that I haven't seen any of the movies you have posted about for the last few days?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 5:04pm
No Vits. In fact, I kind of like it since now you (and anyone else here who hasn't heard about them) know about them.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:43pm
Skip to 05:12.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 7:51pm
I've been neglecting my Razzie duties so here's some of the classic movies I've been watching lately. Including one of the best movies ever.

Harold And Maude: A good offbeat comedy with a great Cats Stevens score. Grade: A+

Grave Of The Fireflies: I'm not a fan of anime, but this is still as great movie. Grade: A+

Heart Of Glass: Has great directing, music, and cinematography. Grade: A+

Gojira: Great action scenes and special effects, but the story is kinda thin. Grade: A-

The Freshman: A funny Harold And Lloyd comedy that's not quite as good as Safety Last! Grade: A

Grand Illusion: One of the first prison escape movies and a great one. Grade: A+

The Decalogue: One of the crowning achievement sin world cinema. The best movies were I, V, and X. Grade: A+

Hondo: A good John Wayne movie that turns into a great one thanks to a kick ass battle scene towards the end. Grade: B+

Paths Of Glory: A great war movie that set the standards for most war movies and one of Stanley Kubrick's best movies, which is saying a lot. The Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan was an homage to a scene from this movie. Grade: A+

Hoosiers: A nice easy-going movie that entertaining to watch. Grade: B+

High Anxiety: Not as good as some of Mel Brooks' other movies but still funny. Best scenes: a mental patient who thinks he's a dog humps Harvey Korman's leg, Brooks getting attacked by Jaws parody in a phonebooth, and the Psycho parody with a young Barry Levinson. Grade: B

City Lights: I could go into details about how great this movie, but instead I'll say this: much like how Rotten Asshole is for really, really bad movies, I have a grade called Perfection for really, really good ones. Grade: Perfection

If any of my Twitter followers are reading this and wondering why I City Lights an A+ on Twitter instead of Perfection, I won't use Perfection or Rotten Asshole on Twitter because regular Twitter users who don't know about my special grades will be confused. It's like a comic book that uses something in the comic as an important plot point without explaining it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

High Anxiety: Not as good as some of Mel Brooks' other movies but still funny. Best scenes: a mental patient who thinks he's a dog humps Harvey Korman's leg, Brooks getting attacked by Jaws parody in a phonebooth, and the Psycho parody with a young Barry Levinson. Grade: B

City Lights: I could go into details about how great this movie, but instead I'll say this: much like how Rotten Asshole is for really, really bad movies, I have a grade called Perfection for really, really good ones. Grade: Perfection
[Raising hand] I know those ones! I know those ones! I have to re-watch CITY LIGHTS (I saw it years ago). As for HIGH ANXIETY, I gave it a 7/10.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 3:22pm
Skip to 03:24.
Any thougths?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>