Official RAZZIEョ Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > The Crix Have Picked (and Picked On) HANCOCK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

C知on, It Aint THAT Bad!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C知on, It Aint THAT Bad!!!
    Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:50am

IF YOU KNOW THE RAZZIES, YOU KNOW WE ALMOST NEVER THINK MOVIE CRITICS ARE BEING TOO HARSH. BUT in the CASE of HANCOCK, WE GOTTA SAY -- WE THINK THEY ARE.

OCCASIONALLY LAUGH-OUT-LOUD FUNNY, OFTEN MOVING ENOUGH to GET the AUDIENCE's EYES MISTED UP, and RARELY PREDICTABLE or FORMULAIC, HANCOCK IS, in OUR ESTIMATION, ONE of the BETTER EFFORTS of 2008... 

MAYBE IT'S SUPERHERO BURNOUT AFTER HULK, IRON MAN and a SLEW of PREVIOUS COMIC-BOOK-BASED MOVIES. BUT THE FACT THAT THIS FAIRLY CLEVER, VERY RISK-TAKING and GENERALLY ENTERTAINING MOVIE IS GETTING MOSTLY CRAPPY REVIEWS SUGGESTS MANY of AMERICA's FILM CRITICS ARE THE CURMUDGEONS THEY'RE OFTEN PRESUMED to BE. IN FACT, the ESPECIALLY HARSH L.A. TIMES REVIEW LEAVES US THINKING THEIR CRITIC KENNETH TURRAN MAY BE DESERVING of the SAME EPITHET THAT SETS OFF WILL SMITH's CHARACTER EVERY TIME SOMEONE USES IT in the MOVIE  (YOU MAY HAVE to GO SEE HANCOCK to GET THIS REFERENCE -- and IT ACUALLY IS WORTH SEEING). 

SINCE THIS FORUM EXISTS for YOU GIZE to EXPRESS YOUR VIEWS, FEEL FREE to AGREE, DISAGREE or WHATEVER BELOW...

SMITH: "Exactly what WOULD I have to do to blow away the critics??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 1:39am

I saw this at one of those 7pm Tuesday advance screenings and, unless Sony/Columbia did a really piss-poor job of clarifying it was showing that night, it looks like it might bomb: The theatre was more than half empty, and the most vocal response was from a screaming toddler in a baby carriage who nearly ruined the experience for the entire audience (I hate Regal Cinemas!)... 

As for the movie itself, I gotta agree with our Head RAZZberry: I found myself laughing frequently, caring about the characters (all three of the lead perfromances -- Smith, Theron and especially Bateman -- were top-notch) and I was well entertained for most of the film's 90 minute or so running time. So why do so many critics hate it? Maybe those old farts think it's their job to hate anything mainstream??

Everything SUX!
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 3:15am

Every year I write-in Will Smith's name on the Razzie nominating ballot, and for good reason; he is awful! The Stale Prince is overexposed, overrated, and so full of himself it is nauseating. I place him firmly in the Wil Ferrell/Adam Sandler/Eddie Murphy/Mike Myers league of unappealing lead actors who, for the most part, seem to play the same role over and over again. As President of the "Hate Will Smith" club, I already loathe "Hancock" from hearing about its premise; a slacker superhero who is homeless? What genius thought that one up? Yuck! Lest we forget, Smith was in that super-stink bomb "The Wild Wild West", which won as Worst film and got Smith an award with Kevin Kline as Worst screen couple. Smith needs to be back in Razzie contention.

Fred Cooper
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 3:18am
I think a lot of the criticism is from the fact that "Hancock" was originally rated R. I think it might be funny and I'm a semi-fan of Will Smith.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 4:42am

I am just a little shocked at the reviews that Hancock has been getting as well, for the most part they're not completely bashing the movie, just a little underwhelmed it seems (at least where the critics are concerned). I agree a little with HeadRAZZ that the critics may be a little front loaded with all the super hero movies that have already come out this summer (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and Wanted) with more just over the horizon (Hellboy II, The Dark Knight). Anyways, I will be taking my kids to see this and WALL-E this weekend and will get back to this forum.

As it is I still felt that Will Smith got snubbed last year for "I am Legend" 

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:30am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am curious, ITbeast if you think Smith was "snubbed" by US for a RAZZIE nomination, or The Other Gize for a Little Gold Naked Man nomination? 

Actually, Smith's performance in LEGEND fell somewhere between our two sets of standards...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 8:50am

...The Other Gize, for a Little Gold Naked Man nomination. I hate to join the "moviewizguy" bandwagon on this but I felt his performance held up the movie and did not fall to our "RAZZIE" nominating standards.

Granted, I don't think this movie will fall into anything near a " Little Gold Naked Man " Nomination either but will find out this weekend if the critics were somewhere near right on "Hancock" or just plain on the "rag".

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 9:18am
I gotta say I did not laugh once while watching the previews. Even my easily-
entertained cousin thought it looked dumb. I'll prolly just wait til it's on Starz
to see it....
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 10:26am
Wall-E actually made more money than this movie on its opening day...I just don't get it. I thought people loved Will Smith, especially him playing a superhero with a 90 minute running time. I just don't get it. The world is really inconsistent.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:49pm
What is very interesting about this movie is that Sony will allow owners of its
Bravia HD televisions the chance to download this movie via the internet
BEFORE it goes out on Blu Ray. Oh don't forget that you have to pay an extra
$299 for the Bravia Internet link...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/technology/30sony.html?
partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 2:45pm
The only reason I saw this was because I was planning on seeing The
Incredible Hulk
, but they stopped playing that movie at my theater
yesterday, and I gotta say it was pretty bad; I didn't laugh once, I
thought many of the scenes and twists to the movie were ripped off of other
movies (at least for anyone who's seen Superman Returns), and my only
question with the critics is why only 34% of critics approved of it and not 0%.
Believe me, it tries to have a Superman feel to it, while making fun of it at
the same time, and it fails miserably.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 5:02pm
I think this is a case of the critics being superhero-ed out and can't take another movie of its kind, even if it's a parody. Or like I said earlier, the critics see that Will Smith is just jumping on the band wagon of whatever genre is popular in order to bank in on it. You can't please all the people all the time. 
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 2:39am
Originally posted by ITbeast

Anyways, I will be taking my kids to see this and WALL-E this weekend and will get back to this forum.

You will love WALL-E. Magnificent animation, and more well expressed emotional power than I have seen in a lot of live action films with more dialogue (there is very little in most of the film). I'd rate it not just as the best animated film of the year to date, but one of the best period.

Anyway, I may see Hancock tonight. I don't care much for Will Smith as a "musician," but I think he is generally a delightful screen presence. I've been looking forward to this film.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 6:41am

Thanks...I am really looking forward to seeing it (WALL-E), anything from PIXAR is always top notched, even on there bad days. I am just hoping it will keep my 6 year old entertained due to the lack of vocal interaction, something that myself, my wife, and 11 year old son should be alright on.

As far as Will Smith the "musician", all members of my family loves his music...both me and my wife have been listening to his stuff since the days of D.J. Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince! (Gives you an idea of how old I am)

Words to live by:
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 7:47am
There is a Pixar short preceeding Wall-E about a magician and his rabbit that is absolutely hilarious. I'm sure it is a likely nominee for Best Animated Short in January. I wouldn't worry too much about the attention span of your 6 year-old either. There is enough going on in the film that should hold his/her attention.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 9:33am
Thanks...I get back to you on the outcome this weekend.

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>