Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

"Comedies" Like This Make Us up-CHUCK!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Comedies" Like This Make Us up-CHUCK!!
    Posted: July 15 2007 at 4:36am

WITH ALL the THOUSANDS of UN-PRODUCED, SUPERIOR SCRIPTS FLOATING AROUND HOLLYWOOD, HOW DID THIS AWFUL PILE of CRAP GET MADE?

SIMPLE ANSWER: 7-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE (and 1999 WORST ACTOR "WINNER") ADAM SANDLER. NOBODY in the BIZ HAS the BALLS to SAY NO to THIS MORON, WHOSE MOVIES (SOMETIMES) MAKE MONEY.

AND WHEN MONEY IS ALL IT'S ABOUT, THIS IS the KIND of GARBAGE YOU GET...  

PLEASE, GOD, TELL US WE WON'T HAVE to SEE THESE 

TWO GET IT ON!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 10:08am
I've seen this trailer, as well as the TV ads for this movie, and no doubt about it, this film looks pretty dumb. Kevin James was terrific in HITCH, and now, I don't know why he chose to do this movie with Adam Sandler. However, if I have to pick any favorite movie Adam Sandler ever did, it would be between Spanglish or Punch Drunk Love. Those two films were pretty good films he's ever done so far. With Punch Drunk Love, it shows that Sandler can act well in a drama film. Not to mention it was liked by 81% of the critics on RT. Spanglish was able to have Sandler finally act a lot better in a comedy. Not a lot of critics liked it, but he still put on a pretty good performance.
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 12:47pm
He certainly did prove there he can do quite well if he chooses.  Apparently, though, he must feel that he has that lowbrow (and I mean LOWbrow in this case it's scraping the ground) image to uphold in order to keep the income flowing in, and thus takes these things instead more often.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 3:52pm
This looks good. lol
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 5:46pm

This has the same feel as Blades of Glory.  I wonder if Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell are (forgive me, Fogelberg and Weissman) twin sons from different mothers? . . .

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 1:24am
It doesn't look as much like Blades of Glory as Blades of Glory looks too much like Talladega Nights and Anchorman.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:47pm

You don't mind if I ask you a couple questions, moviewizguy, do you? Is there one Adam Sandler movie that you though was really disappointing? And was there one that you though looked Berry Bad but also Berry funny?

I can name one Sandler movie I was disappointed with: BIG DADDY, even though there were some funny parts in there, it still was extremely disappointing to me. As for my answer to my second question, it would be ANGER MANAGEMENT: It really looked Berry Bad, but with Jack Nicholson, it also looked Berry funny...

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 2:42am

The major problem with Sandler's films that I find is that they can't come up with a decent ending for them most of the time.  Only the conclusions to Little Nicky and 50 First Dates have been truly satisfying for me.  As for the others: 

-his sports films suffer from the usual formula constraints of the genre (although he did experiment with it somewhat in Happy Gilmore and does deserve credit for that) 

-Big Daddy was too out of place; I think what they chose to end with should really have happened more in the middle of the picture, where he could afford to have the spector of losing the child hang over him and make him believably grow.  Here, everything seems rushed, like the character gets a free break 

-after having been decent for the first hour, Mr. Deeds completely fell apart in the third act, with no one behaving believably (and now that I completely relate John Turturro as Monk's brother, it's hard to see him in any other role anyway).  And come on, you don't just drop Allan Covert's character from the face of the earth with 30 minutes to go.  It would have been satisfying had we seen him get his comeuppance for his crimes (then again maybe it was shot but they decided it had to go for whatever reason) 

-the end message of Anger Management was just completely wrong from a moral standpoint, that you should be free to violate a person's civil rights to have them prove themselves to you.  Perhaps a more fitting ending would have been a darker one, where he does let all the anger out, first breaking his girlfriend's neck, then hunting Nicholson down and shooting him repeatedly (perhaps a catch line before he pulls the trigger like, "I want to thank you for helping me, so here's my thanks."  BANG), something that says, careful what you wish for. 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 11:18am

I have to say in all honesty that the comic appeal of Adam Sandler completely escapes me. I'd rather watch a Stallone flick...pick one....than any movie Sandler has ever made.

A thought occurs to me though. I feel much the same way about Jim Carrey, but I did get some degree of pleasure in the realization that no matter how bad of a Batman Val Kilmer was, at least we'd get to see him beat the crap out of Carrey. Do you suppose Sandler can get himself cast as a Batman villian? Then at least I could enjoy ONE of his movies.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:52pm

Where is #1 Sly Fan when you need him? I would love to hear his response, Saturnwatcher, to the one person you can't stand even more than Sylvester Stallone.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I have to say in all honesty that the comic appeal of Adam Sandler completely escapes me. I'd rather watch a Stallone flick...pick one....than any movie Sandler has ever made.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:38am
Actually, the list is somewhat longer....but not too many fervent Mel Gibson fans have shown up to be tormented.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:36am

I can't stand Adam Sandler! He is an unfunny a$#hole.

Fred Cooper
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:44am
..and gee, isn't he getting FAT.
Fred Cooper
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 3:46am
Well, it will be a real tossup next year for worst performance: Eddie Murphy for Norbit or Adam Sandler for this piece of s%$t.
Fred Cooper
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 4:16am
I now pronounce you a serious Razzie Contender! This morning's Rotten Tomatoes numbers: 14% and 11% from the cream of the crop.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 10:08am

You forgot to include Robin Williams for License to Wed! 

Also, it might have been humorous if the movie's tagline was "This movie is gay!  Well, not really...just acting that way." Because it is.

Originally posted by moorlock2003

Well, it will be a real tossup next year for worst performance: Eddie Murphy for Norbit or Adam Sandler for this piece of s%$t.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>