Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > COMPLETE LIST of 2010 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

COMPLETE 2010 RELEASES LIST (Jan 1 - Dec. 31)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 139>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COMPLETE 2010 RELEASES LIST (Jan 1 - Dec. 31)
    Posted: January 08 2011 at 9:07am
Is it really that questionable for The Dilemma to go under the Razzies radar? I know it's Oscar-winner Ron Howard, but good directors make do bad choices too (should i mention 2 time Oscar-winner Oliver Stone's Alexander?). It's a January film with past Razzie offenders, a premise that you really need to strech storywise if you want to make a feature-length film out of it. I have to say that, in the trailer, it looked very mediocre and unfunny (as do almost all so-called "comedies" these days).
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 11:50am
First of all,PIRANHA 3-D was among the best reviewed horror movies of last year. 

If a movie has good use of it's 3-D, can it be nominated for the new Worst 3-D category, or is it mainly for badly reviewed movies that happen to be in 3-D (like the other 3 mentioned below)?  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

As a suggestion for the Worst Mis-Use of 3-D, I personally would nominate The Last Airbender and Clash of the Titans, and maybe take out Resident Evil 4 and Piranha 3-D. The two former films were "converted," and I've heard truly bad things about the 3D in them. while the two latter films, especially RE4, had terrific use of 3-D, which goes to show you studios shouldn't "convert" movies into 3-D.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
JoeBoyden View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBoyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 4:33pm

Just came across this article about the recent string of 80's remakes:

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 10:32pm
I'm convinced that the Green Hornet, if it were actually good, is one of the more underexposed of the comic book super heros, and there is an audience out there for a Hornet movie. It would have to done, as I believe was mentioned earlier, more in the spirit of the recent Batman movies. But that would require Hollywood to take the high road for a change.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 10:53pm
Goodness gracious!  Burn's gonna have a field day with that article.  It mentions 'Ghostbusters 3' (they are bringing the original Ghostbusters back, but I have no knowledge of a plot), a prequel to 'The Thing' (focusing on the Norwegian crew that first discovered the alien), a remake of 'Footloose' (based on the stage musical), a remake of 'Red Dawn' (replacing the Soviets with Chinese), and a remake of 'RoboCop' (and I hear Darren Aronofsky is involved).
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 11:22pm
Someone in the media has to point out that the endless remakes need to stop, because they are out of control!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 11:23pm
Yeah, why make a serious, crime drama via Dark Knight for the Green Hornet, when we can have yet another movie of Seth Rogan playing a moron ... only this time while wearing a Green Hornet outfit!? 

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Not if it were actually good. I'm convinced that the Green Hornet is one of the more underexposed of the comic book super heros, and there is an audience out there for a Hornet movie, if it were done, as I believe you mentioned earlier, more in the spirit of the recent Batman movies. But that would require Hollywood to take the high road for a change.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 6:34am
I think that there is sort of a natural appeal to Batman and the Green Hornet because they are actually plausible. People can watch Superman or Spiderman or whoever and daydream about actually having those abilities, but Bruce Wayne and Britt Reid are ordinary guys (ok, insanely rich, but still humans), so ordinary people can identify with them. There really is an audience out there...Batman Beyond and The Dark Knight proved that. But sometimes Hollywood can't recognize gold when someone beats them over the head with it!  
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 6:38am
I'll grant that good directors make bad choices, Vheid, but your example of Oliver Stone is more of an indication that Oscar voters ALSO make bad choices.  

Originally posted by Vheid

Is it really that questionable for The Dilemma to go under the Razzies radar? I know it's Oscar-winner Ron Howard, but good directors make do bad choices too (should i mention 2 time Oscar-winner Oliver Stone's Alexander?). It's a January film with past Razzie offenders, a premise that you really need to strech storywise if you want to make a feature-length film out of it. I have to say that, in the trailer, it looked very mediocre and unfunny (as do almost all so-called "comedies" these days).
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 6:44am
I think that there is sort of a natural appeal to Batman and the Green Hornet because they are actually plausible. People can watch Superman or Spiderman or whoever and daydream about actually having those abilities, but Bruce Wayne and Britt Reid are ordinary guys (ok, insanely rich, but still humans), so ordinary people can identify with them. There really is an audience out there...Batman Beyond and The Dark Knight proved that, but Hollywood can't recognize gold when someone beats them over the head with it.

Incidentally, this new film WILL make a brief reference to the link between the Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger, but care had to be taken since rights to The Lone Ranger are presently owned by Disney Studios, who is developing a Ranger movie. Evidently, Johnny Depp has signed on to play Tonto. (?!) There were rumors that Adam Sandler had been chosen for the role of the Lone Ranger, but if Depp really is involved with the project, Sandler isn't going to be cast. Naturally placing him in the lead would have made that project an automatic Razzie baiter.

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Yeah, why make a serious, crime drama via Dark Knight for the Green Hornet, when we can have yet another movie of Seth Rogan playing a moron ... only now while wearing a Green Hornet outfit!?
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:46am
Clearly, but after looking over Ron Howard his résumé, I am now starting to wonder if he is THAT good of a director.

Off course, he made beautiful and/or memorable films like Cocoon, Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind. But he seems to have also made a lot of trash like The Da Vinci Code, Angels And Demons, Willow and the Truman Show rip-off called EDTV

I'll grant that good directors make bad choices, Vheid, but your example of Oliver Stone is more of an indication that Oscar voters ALSO make bad choices.  

Originally posted by Vheid

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:57am
Vheid, on the downside you left off How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Howard has certainly had his misfires. But counterbalancing, you left off some other outstanding films: Frost/Nixon, Cinderella Man, Ransom, The Paper, Parenthood, Splash, Backdraft, Night Shift... Overall, I'd say Ron Howard's bad work overwhelms his bad stuff.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 9:09am
To confirm, I dislike The Grinch but was afraid that if i mentioned the film, someone would defend it (because i believe it was kind of succesfull when it came out).

I've never seen Cinderella Man, Ransom, Parenthood and Splash and have never even heard of Backdraft, Night Shift and The Paper. So those titles were hard for me to judge.

And it was just plain stupid of me to not have mentioned Frost/Nixon.

Could explain your last sentence:

I'd say Ron Howard's bad work overwhelms his bad stuff.

Did you mean to replace one of those two "bads" for a "good"?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 9:21am
It was a mistake of excessively hurried posting
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 10:58am

Word has it that there's a film adaptation of 'The Lost Symbol' in the works, but it doesn't say whether or not Ron Howard is directing it.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 11:14am
I just saw Sofia Coppola's SOMEWHERE, and gave it 6/10. Anyone else seen it?  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

It mentions 'Ghostbusters 3' (they are bringing the original Ghostbusters back, but I have no knowledge of a plot), a prequel to 'The Thing' (focusing on the Norwegian crew that first discovered the alien), a remake of 'Footloose' (based on the stage musical), a remake of 'Red Dawn' (replacing the Soviets with Chinese), and a remake of 'RoboCop' (and I hear Darren Aronofsky is involved).

The only one that could actually be necessary is FOOTLOOSE because then it would be an actual musical instead of a dancical.Let's not forget that HAIRSPRAY '07 was better than the first one.  

Why?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 139>