Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > DEATH RACE (2008)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Could It Be Sillier Than the ’75 Original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could It Be Sillier Than the ’75 Original
    Posted: August 05 2008 at 5:57am

IT DOES HAVE an INTRIGUING CAST (INCLUDING FORMER OSCAR® DARLING JOAN ALLEN). BUT IT TOPLINES JASON STATHAM, WHOSE PREVIOUS 2008 FILMS RUN the GAMUT FROM PRETTY DARN GOOD (THE BANK JOB) to PUTRIDLY GOD-AWFUL (UWE BOLL's IN THE NAME OF THE KING). AND IT's WRITTEN and DIRECTED by the MAN RESPONSIBLE for NOT ONLY 2004 RAZZIE® NOMINEE AVP: ALIEN vs. PREDATOR, BUT A WHOLE STRING of VIDEO-GAMES-MADE-INTO-MOVIES.

SO, WILL IT SHOCK EVERYONE and TURN OUT to BE OKAY -- OR WILL IT TURN OUT to BE JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE of HOLLYWOOD GRAVE-ROBBING ITS OWN PAST and EXHUMING SOMETHING BETTER LEFT DEAD and BURIED??

POSTERS and POSTER-ETTES: "IT's TIME to START YOUR ENGINES!!"

JOAN ALLEN: "You may well ask what a three-time Oscar® nominee like me is doing in junk like this..."

DEATH MASK DUDE: "Maybe your career is in a  DEATH RACE of its own??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 9:17am
lol, I want to see this, too. Pre-screenings suggest this is Anderson's best film.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 9:51am
I think it might be decent...   
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 12:40pm
The trailers look so good...but the whole idea of remaking the original seems so bad!  
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 2:58pm
I have respect for Joan Allen as an actress. But why, oh why is she is this movie?! This is one of her weirdest choices since "Face/Off". I like Jason Statham, too. He can be really good or really bad, depending on who is behind the camera. Mr. Milla Jovovich doesn't know how to write a good script, so they are already off to a bad start (no pun intended with the racing theme).
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 3:28pm
The guy next to Joan Allen is from the Showtime series "Brotherhood" where he plays Congressman Thomas Caffee...

Joan Allen was also in the last two great "Bourne" films. Wonder if she'll star in "The Bourne Legacy", the fourth Bourne movie set for release in 2010?

Enough with the actor speculation -- I might actually see this when it comes out in theaters... 
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 2:37am
I thought it also looked like The Condemned with The Death Races being on The Internet where subscribers could pay to watch them
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 12:16pm
Yes, this is oddly similar to The Condemned.
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 8:21am

Eh, I admit to liking Death Race 2000. The part where the doctors are laying out their patients to get run over, and the driver avoids them to run over the doctors was classic. 

As for the remake, ~eh~  (shrug). Doubt it'll be Razzie worthy, but I'll wait for the DVD.

BrassKnuckle View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrassKnuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 6:34pm
If it were to be a true remake, I might go see it just to see a certain violence-prone president get run over at the end. 
Jurassic Park was the most expensive B-rated Movie ever made - Me
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 9:28am

I have a feeling this film has Razzie potential, but it might have to share Worst of the Weak dis-honors with The House Bunny (With Scary Movie's Anna Faris doing a Jessica Simpson-ish role!).

Still, I hope a special version is released where bonus points are given for running over the people involved in making this film.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 1:17pm
Sorry, House Bunny looks hilarious...and I didn't even find Superbad funny.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 1:52pm
You didn't find "Supedbad" funny and liked "Epic Movie"? What's wrong with this picture.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 5:54am
Well, Superbad is probably overrated because, like I said, I was disappointed.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 11:22am
The main problem is that "Superbad" was the funniest movie of last year, in my and 99% of the kids at my school's opinion....while "Epic Movie" has some defenders but also has a lot of detractors. And most of defenders merely say it's funny and worthy of a rental -- not a trip to the theater.
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 3:30pm
Yeah cars are cool, but cars with guns are ultra-cool.

That's just about the best theme anyone's ever decided to build a movie around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>