Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > ALL THOSE OTHER AWARDS: Who Cares?!?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Critics’ Awards: Thumbs UP...or DOWN?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do YOU Care What Critics Say??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[3.57%]
[70.24%]
[20.24%]
[5.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critics’ Awards: Thumbs UP...or DOWN?!?
    Posted: December 12 2005 at 4:02am
New York, LA, Houston — They’re all over the country, like a rash on the butt-cheeks of American movie-goers: CRITICS AWARDS — Do they serve a useful purpose, or are they an exercise in intellectual self-indulgence?  VOTE ABOVE, then feel free to express yourself further BELOW...  
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Python View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 9:52am

Well Mr. HeadRAZZberry, I AM a film critic and I helped the Razzies blast "Gigli" and "Catwoman" with Worst Picture wins. I try not to contend with other critics. I love what I do and it's fun. We sometimes disagree. I am one of the very FEW critics that hated the first two "Lord of the Rings" movies. In fact I walked out of "Two Towers" but everyone has their reasons. I try to respect other critics. I have been educated on film history and theory and feel that I do a pretty good job but everyone will disagree on films from time to time.

Uncle Scoopy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Uncle Scoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 11:01am

I always flip through Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic before choosing films.

I don't think one can argue persuasively that critics have no value, even if one consistently disagrees with them. The important thing to me is not the critic's opinion, but his descriptive powers. Roger Ebert is a perfect example. I often disagree with his opinion, but he writes well enough, and I know his prejudices well enough, that I can read between the lines of one of his misguided four star reviews and tell that a movie is actually jaw-droppingly bad, and I can read one of his one star reviews and tell that a movie is probably pretty damned good.

In essence, his writing skill and his attention to detail make him a good critic, not the direction in which his thumb is pointed.

eagle003_98 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote eagle003_98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 7:01am

As to whether you can trust a review by them, you have to know WHO is PAYING them at the time.  Also, if they are even real people (and not someone made up, like so many movie companies use). 

Tazzy View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 1:48pm
Why indeed. I walked out of Glitter. worst movie ever.
 Post Reply Post Reply