Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DON’T BOTHER...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DON’T BOTHER...
    Posted: June 04 2008 at 7:44am

WE ADMIT IT: WE, TOO, WERE SUCKERED by the PROMOs for THIS ONE. THE TRAILER and TV SPOTS LOOKED CLEVER ENOUGH THAT WE BRIEFLY THOUGHT 10-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE (and 1999 WORST ACTOR "WINNER") ADAM SANDLER MIGHT HAVE FINALLY MADE a FUNNY MOVIE...

BUT, DESPITE the INVOLVEMENT of GENUINELY FUNNY MAN JUDD APATOWZOHAN IS ONLY UP (OR DOWN) to SANDLER's USUAL STANDARDS -- IN OTHER WORDS, at LEAST ONE RE-WRITE SHORT of ACTUALLY BEING AMUSING. ADD IN THAT IT WAS HELMED by 2-TIME WORST DIRECTOR NOMINEE DENNIS DUGAN, and FEATURES 6-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE (AND 2005 WORST ACTOR "WINNER") ROB SCHNEIDER (and GIGLI RAZZIE® NOMINEE LAINIE KAZAN) and YOU BEGIN to SEE WHY WE PICKED IT as WORST of the WEAK.

AGREE, DISAGREE, WHATEVER YOUR OPINION, FEEL FREE to POST IT BELOW...WE PROMISE, WE WON'T MESS with YOU for EXPRESSING IT!

SANDLER: "I'm used to the critics pissing on my movies...But the movie-goers, too?!?!?"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 7:28am
I just wish that someone would pay Rob Schneider not to do anymore cameo's in ANY of Sandler's Vehicles. I see him and immediately want to run for the nearest exit!
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:45am

Adam Sandler Gets His Scare On

Josh Grossberg Fri Jun 6, 3:26 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Now that Adam Sandler is done messing with the Zohan, he can start messing with the zombies.

He's decided to branch off his production company Happy Madison with a separate division called Scary Madison, which will develop horror flicks.

Per the Hollywood Reporter, the first project the shingle will produce is a thriller called Shortcut, following two brothers who stumble on a shortcut into their new town and, unfortunately for them, learn why it's so rarely used.

Sandler and partner Jack Giarraputo will executive-produce the film, which will be helmed by Nicholaus Goosen (Grandma's Boy) and star newcomers Andrew Seeley, Shannon Woodward and Dave Franco. The script was penned by Adam's brother, Scott Sandler.

Sandler's latest comic caper, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, in which he stars as a Mossad agent turned New York hairstylist, opens today in theaters across the country.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:49am
I have to disagree when you say the TV ads make this look funny -- it did not look appealing at all. But my friends for some reason (God knows why) are quoting the ads...   
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 9:30am

Adam Sandler's ongoing homophobia in his films is tiresome. A person's sexuality is not inherently funny, but Sandler cannot resist the temptation to consistently depict gays in a derogatory manner. Sickening!

Fred Cooper
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 12:57pm
The trailer for Zohan was pretty funny. ANYWAY, Roger Ebert liked this one...  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 2:09pm

Roger Ebert (who wrote the screenplay for that godawful "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls") hated "Mommie Dearest," a film I love. So his opinion means nothing to me...

Originally posted by moviewizguy

THe trailer was pretty funny. ANYWAY, Roger Ebert liked this one.

Fred Cooper
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 4:40pm

Mommie Dearest? Oh my...
I'm surprised you're posting on this message board, given the relationship that film has with the Razzies.

Anyway, a lot has been said about Sandler's films over the years, and it's been said time and time again. Yet, his films still manage to score with audiences. I sincerely doubt this feature will be any better, but the million dollar question is:How many millions of dollars will this one make?

If we want the Sandler-reign to end, all we can do is hope for a smaller amount of cash to be made by this one. Hey, Ferell's last film showed some decline -- let's hope for something similar here.

Originally posted by moorlock2003

Roger Ebert, who wrote the screenplay for that godawful "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls", hated "Mommie Dearest", a film I love, so his opinion means nothing to me.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 6:37am
Well, he has made some bad and good films. The films he starred in that are amazingly brilliant were "Click" and "Spanglish." His next good film was "50 First Dates," the ending, which was realistic but heart felt. And Waterboy looked terrible...I'm never going to watch that. "Mr. Deeds" was decent. "Big Daddy" was also decent. "8 Crazy Nights" was surprisingly vulgar, since I've seen it a long time ago thinking it was a family film...
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 8:47am
"The Waterboy", in my opinion, is one of Sandler's best, like "Happy Gilmore".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 9:01am
I expected to hate this film (I saw it today), being that I'm not an Adam Sandler fan usually. But to tell you the truth, I actually liked it. It's not going to win any Oscars, but it made me laugh out loud several times. I will say that after seeing Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and now this that John Turturro's becoming one of my favorite actors. He was the best thing about this film. One criticism I had was that it did take a while for the laughs to come. But once they did, it was good.
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 12:31pm

It came in at Forty Million, which is not bad for second place. This is Sandler's fifth film to open above the 35 Million mark... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: When final numbers came out earlier today, ZOHAN ended up with just over $38.5 million -- Meaning it dropped about 35% from opening night (Friday) to Sunday, suggesting word-of-mouth is less-than-favorable... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 2:34pm

"Mommie Dearest" is a cult classic and I don't care how many Razzies it won I still love the film and I am not alone. At a recent showing at the Arclight Theatre in Hollywood the place was packed. After 25+ years it still attracts paying audiences. It is a film that people still want to see in a theatre on the large screen. I have discussed this elsewhere on the forum. It is overly simplistic to dismiss "Mommie Dearest" as a "bad" movie. The same can be said of "Valley of The Dolls", "The Other Side of Midnight", "The Honeymoon Killers" and many others. People attach themselves to films such as these because they are not cookie cutter Hollywood product; they are unique, fascinating, and stand up to repeated viewings.

Originally posted by moat

Mommie Dearest? Oh my...
I'm surprised you're posting on this message board, given the relationship that film has with the Razzies.

Anyway, a lot has been said about Sandler's films over the years, and it's been said time and time again. Yet, his films still manage to score with audiences. I sincerely doubt this feature will be any better, but the million dollar question is:How many millions of dollars will this one make?

If we want the Sandler-reign to end, all we can do is hope for a smaller amount of cash to be made by this one. Hey, Ferell's last film showed some decline -- let's hope for something similar here.
Originally posted by moorlock2003

Roger Ebert, who wrote the screenplay for that godawful "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls", hated "Mommie Dearest", a film I love, so his opinion means nothing to me.

Fred Cooper
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:15pm

Zohan still did do better than Chuck & Larry or Little Nicky on their opening weekends...

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: And, lest we forget, both CHUCK and NICKY were Worst Picture nominees... 

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:29pm

I just like to laugh at Faye Dunaway's greasepaint eyebrows. . . .

NOWIREHANGERSEVER!!!!   

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 2:45pm
"Kung-Fu Panda" messed with the Zohan, and stole more than half its thunder at the box office. Seriously, note to Hollywood: enough with the Sandler movies. The only thing worse than the movies he stars in are the movies he produces, ie see "Grandma's Boy" and "Strange Wilderness". Wait! Better yet, DON'T, because they are not even funny by accident!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>