Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Did "Titanic" Deserve Oscars or RAZZIES??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did "Titanic" Deserve Oscars or RAZZIES??
    Posted: March 12 2006 at 9:38am
The movie as a history peice is OK, but Leo really can't
act, and Kate is a little over-the-top... 

Post your thoughts on this movie!
It takes millions to make a good movie, it costs millions to make a bad one!
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:35pm
RAZZIE for WORST NEW SONG!!! I believe it was called "My Stomach Churns On"...

Enough said...
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 9:09pm
I still say LA Confidential should have won that year.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:41am
Definitely not an Oscar, but not Razzie worthy either. The film was excessively long, manipulative and generally vapid, but there were both better and far worse films released that year.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 3:20pm
TITANIC was released with a PG-13 rating, but I think it should have been released with an R rating because of that nude scene. Yeah, I remember seeing that when I saw that movie in theaters, I was only 10 at that time, and I got pretty grossed out seeing the nude scene. Kate Winslet showing her boobs, but it's quite surprising though, she actually got an Oscar nod for Best Actress for that film, but lost that one to Helen Hunt, who won that award for the film AS GOOD AS IT GETS.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 10:22am
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consistancy regarding movie ratings. Failure to Launch pulled a PG-13 even with two lengthy shots of Terry Bradshaw's bare backside. That is one traumatic sight. I'd much rather gander at Kate Winslet's assets any day of the week. Unfortunately, that particular highlight of Titanic is buried inside all the other painful ennui.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Anette.* View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Anette.* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 2:03pm
N-o-o-o-o-o-o! Not an Oscar, gosh...But not a Razzie either!
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 12:38pm
It deserved a Razzie! "L.A. Confidential" was way better. "As Good As It Gets" and "Good Will Hunting" were also better.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 11:43am
It was halfway decent, but as has been said, being too long and with the outcome all but determined long before Act III begins work against it.  It does show if nothing else how a successful marketing strategy can help a picture get something more than it otherwise would.  Still, at least the score's still fairly good even if Celine's clearly singing the title track--sappier than half of Vermont--in her sleep (I would have given its Oscar that year to Will Smith's Men in Black theme; sure, it's not an original song per se, but I think it was the best one that year).   
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 8:55am

Titanic deserved it's Oscars,  because the people who voted were the people who normally make the bad movies in Hollywood.  
As for it being a box office smash, it had all the essential ingredients for a great story:
1)man against nature as in man against the sea.
2)man against man, in this case good guy defeats bad guy,
3)poor boy meets and falls in love with rich girl who reciprocates his love!
4)a luxury liner with an impeccable reputation and mythical air about it.
5)legendary action that is almost hard to believe, but it did happen.
6) boy sacrifices his own life to save girl and she goes on to become a liberated, independent lady who never marries because no one is as good Jack was.  
7) good music, nice beat and you can dance to it.
This is the ultimate "chick movie" , if you intend to get anywhere with members of the opposite sex, I suggest you buy the DVD and keep it out in plain sight.
If you are married, buy the deluxe set for your wife and agree to watch it with her whenever she wants. 
You can rant and rave all you want, but women know what they like, and they love romance!   One hundred years from now this movie will still be a classic along side "Gone With The Wind" ,  "When Harry Met Sally",  "The Bridges of Madison County" and  "Conan The Barbarian".

"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 12:45pm
Titanic's not the only movie to win that Best Picture Oscar, and still be considered a weak film. There were other films as well...Dances with Wolves, Crash, Shakespeare in Love, etc.
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 6:36pm
Not all women like cheesy romantic movies, Brierfox. Some of us actually have good taste.
aromingx7 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote aromingx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 12:44pm
Titanic deserved 11 Oscars, because I have never seen a movie like it before, and the movie truly deserved its 11 awards...

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 3:09pm
Did it deserve 11 Oscars? NOPE! Why did it win 11 Oscars? MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As a lifelong "Titanic-file" who thoroughly enjoyed the 1997 film, I am alwaze disappointed when people point to its grosses as somehow being proof of its short-comings as an example of excellent movie-making. While the dialogue was clunky, the basic structure of the film's script, its technical achievements (which comprised the bulk of what it won its 11 Oscars for) and its ability to sweep up a worldwide audience in a compelling true story, are almost without equal among modern movies. The 1958 British telling of the same tale, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, remains the best true-to-life screen version of the story, but Cameron's TITANIC stands as a towering achievement -- not least because no one but the writer/producer/director himself seemed to believe the film, with its literally titanic production budget, would ever turn a profit... 

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ziesha View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ziesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:01am
Well i think movie deserve the Oscar.As James had worked so hard for the movie .
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:16am
Yeah, "Titanic" should have won all the technical awards, but like "Avatar," it should have not won major catagories like Best Picture. As for it's grosses, was it really the story that kept audiences coming back ... or just teenage girls running back to stare all dreamy eyed at "(SIGH) LEO!"? I'm thinking the latter.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>